Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Wild Speculation

The purpose of this thread is to find out what you think about the idea of BRP coming out with a front wheel drive Spyder.

I realize that there would need to be major changes to the engine/transmission combination and suspension. But with most cars being FWD, could this also happen to the Spyder?

Discuss.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

a FWD spyder would be pretty cool having both front wheels to drive would be nice . I want to figure out how to rock a AWD spyder out LOL .
    Last edited by Smokinspyder; 01-29-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

The original Spyder was a real challenge for BRP to work out from a handling standpoint. It took a long time to get the programming for the nanny right. Without it, the riders described it as "like riding a lawn dart!" In a FWD configuration it would be more so. I'd hate to be a BRP test rider with that setup.

Spyder Garage

Can you imagine how many times you would go in to limp mode? I think they should finish working out the bugs they have already before they would go on to another level.

Spyder Garage

Although an appealing concept (I'd like to try one out), the additional loss due to turning 2 wheels instead of 1 (additional power train and necessary differential mechanism) I think people would be even less impressed with the MPG than they are now, not to mention the additional expense these systems would create.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They've already got all of the technology in the dealer's showrooms right now... The Comander 1000 SxS! I'm sure that they've looked at it, but if somebody has an in with the R&D guys...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am not sure what the benefits would be on a FWD configuration. I don't think the cost/benefit ratio would be very good here either.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well it would certainly have more traction... I'm not sure if that's the only benefit, but it's a good starting point!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Let me get out there in front, now that we are daydreaming. A FWD Spyder with 2 independent, computer controlled electric motors, one for each wheel, would be really cool and very stable. Of course we need to get first to the point where electric powered vehicles are really a practical option

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

How about a Front wheel drive off road version of a Spyder RS?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandgrouchy View Post
    How about a Front wheel drive off road version of a Spyder RS?
    Here's why that's a bad idea IMHO (the off-road version, not the front wheel drive, although I think that's a bad/unnecessary idea, too ).

THREE tracks. You're on a trike, with three wheel tracks, which means you hit Every. Single. Bump. Every rut, every rock, every trunk, everything-- you can't miss the stuff. The times I've taken my Spyder onto gravel/unfinished roads, it's NOT a comfortable ride.

And that's all before you bring in the nanny, which isn't really a nanny-- it's something needed to make the Spyder work-- which means that you can't just shut it off on gravel/sand even if you wanted to.

I love off-roading and dual-sporting, but it's hard enough on one or two tracks. Three tracks removes whatever element of fun exists, unfortunately.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davina View Post
    I love off-roading and dual-sporting, but it's hard enough on one or two tracks. Three tracks removes whatever element of fun exists, unfortunately
    Not nessiousy so, I had some of the first ATC's [Called atvs now] And they would go were my 4wheel atvs and my Rhino and Ranger can't. Also when i do bury the three wheeler i can pull it out by myself, Not so with the others.

Spyder Garage

I think this would be great-- actually 3-wheel drive would be ideal. Better traction.. in particular on slippery surfaces--- think SNOW......

Christini has been doing AWD motorcycles and bikes for some time now.......pretty cool stuff:

http://www.christini.com/

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...And who can forget ROKON?? The Mototractor!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Not nessiousy so, I had some of the first ATC's [Called atvs now] And they would go were my 4wheel atvs and my Rhino and Ranger can't. Also when i do bury the three wheeler i can pull it out by myself, Not so with the others.
    Oh Bob, I just *knew* someone was going to bring up those old 3-wheelers, a.k.a. DEATH MACHINES.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They were only as danger as the loose nut hanging off the back of the handlebars!
    Truthfully... I liked them a lot! Very maneuverable and not as heavy as what's out there now...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Oh Bob, I just *knew* someone was going to bring up those old 3-wheelers, a.k.a. DEATH MACHINES.
    Still have one, My sons and i wore out at least 5 of them over the last 32 years, Remember when Motorcycles were called Suicide Machines. Like Bob D. Said Only dangerous if you don't know your limitations.
    If Motorcycles were just invented this year, They most likely would be outlawed Today, The same would
    probably be true with any vehicle without a cage around it.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...And who can forget ROKON?? The Mototractor!
    You know some of them held extra gas in the tires. I almost bought one years ago.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We HAD one that could carry liquids in the wheels.. Not beer though...
    Miserable to ride in rough terrain... but you never had to get off and push! (As long as you could stay on it anyway... )

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Here's why that's a bad idea IMHO (the off-road version, not the front wheel drive, although I think that's a bad/unnecessary idea, too ).

THREE tracks. You're on a trike, with three wheel tracks, which means you hit Every. Single. Bump. Every rut, every rock, every trunk, everything-- you can't miss the stuff. The times I've taken my Spyder onto gravel/unfinished roads, it's NOT a comfortable ride.

And that's all before you bring in the nanny, which isn't really a nanny-- it's something needed to make the Spyder work-- which means that you can't just shut it off on gravel/sand even if you wanted to.

I love off-roading and dual-sporting, but it's hard enough on one or two tracks. Three tracks removes whatever element of fun exists, unfortunately.
    I agree, depending on what you mean when you say "off-road". Some people would simply be referring to anything off the pavement, in which case it might be fun on fairly smooth caleche roads. But if "off-road" means single track or even dual track trails in the rough, then three wheels are basically a disaster. As daveinva says, you hit every rock, bump, root, even trees. I have ridden one of the old Honda "Big Red" three wheelers in the dirt and after twenty miles or so of basically single track trail, I was hammered and the three wheeler wasn't in much better shape. Not fun.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

We really need a 4th wheel and the laws changed to allow them in all states.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Spyder View Post
    We really need a 4th wheel and the laws changed to allow them in all states.
    They are legal, It's called a Mazda Miata.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    I agree, depending on what you mean when you say "off-road". Some people would simply be referring to anything off the pavement, in which case it might be fun on fairly smooth caleche roads. But if "off-road" means single track or even dual track trails in the rough, then three wheels are basically a disaster. As daveinva says, you hit every rock, bump, root, even trees. I have ridden one of the old Honda "Big Red" three wheelers in the dirt and after twenty miles or so of basically single track trail, I was hammered and the three wheeler wasn't in much better shape. Not fun.

Cotton
    I was thinking more like fire lanes and many of the dirt roads we have here in the south. Some of my friends live on big farms and have to drive a half mile or more on dirt just to get to the road.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    They are legal, It's called a Mazda Miata.
    Really? You sound like one of the bikers bashing the Spyder. "Why don't you just get a car"