Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Quart of Oil every 2000 Miles on Spyder RT 2010 -SE5 12K ???

Has anyone experienced this with their Spyder RT ?
    At the dealer for the last week and a half for 12K service.
    Did piston test per BRP and the results: 5%
    Where the is the oil going ???
    They contacted BRP and they said it's the nature of the beast
    Anyone else have an oil guzzling beast ?

Spyder Garage

My last RT was the same way, not always but I found if I run 70+ for long runs it will use oil. My guess is it makes it's way through the breather and into the throttle body.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2010 RTS has a drinking problem also.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for responding Lamont. Good to hear from you.
    Love what you did with your new RT.
    One word: Awesome!
    Should I worry about anything else or just keep feeding it oil ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ddileo View Post
    Thanks for responding Lamont. Good to hear from you.
    Love what you did with your new RT.
    One word: Awesome!
    Should I worry about anything else or just keep feeding it oil ?
    If you ever find it's not shifting right it may be low on oil, that's how I first found out she drinks oil. Other than that you should be fine.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Spot on. It experiences the same symptoms. That’s when you know you must start checking the oil level. Also noticed if you try to run it hard just after it starts up, it sometime hesitates when shifting. My guess is the oil hasn’t made it all the way through the system yet. Rarely hesitates shifting when hot or oil is full. Besides that, it’s been a great ride up through the 12K miles. Always grateful for your advice hope this helps other. Hope to see you soon sometime. Safe passage. Thanks !
    Last edited by ddileo; 11-22-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Nature of the beast!!! I agree, a quart in 3000 miles give or take a few ounces. I start checking mine at about 1000 miles then every 600 miles, Lamont is right about high speed driving. My air box was not coated in oil, very little in there so i would think it goes past the rings. German built for those who know. I think it is designed that way for durability.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Oil usage

The last 3000 mi. Oil Change on my 2010 RTs sm using Mobile1 4t 10w30 it used 6-8 ounces

This next 3000 mi. Oil Change due now it has used 18 ounces on Amsoil 10w30

Both intervals had trips to Maggie Valley/ Smokies plus plenty of local hard riding...

Just a observance on my part....

Freebob...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wonder if there is an average oil consumption established yet for this model ?

Think it would help the consumer to know this when considering buying a .

The great news is it's under full extended warranty so the dealer/BRP should provide the 'beast" the oil it will use over the life of the warranty.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Assuming you are checking the oil level by the book?, A quart every 2 thousand miles is a little on the high side of the spectrum, But not excessive, I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure your not adding too much oil, Then the extra oil will end up going out the throttle bodies.

Spyder Garage

Wonder if there is an average oil consumption established yet for this model ?

Think it would help the consumer to know this when considering buying a .

The great news is it's under full extended warranty so the dealer/BRP should provide the 'beast" the oil it will use over the life of the warranty.
    Take time to read your Owner's Manual and see what your requirements are about the oil issue and when to check it. I believe that if anyone fails to check the oil and maintain to proper level, the engine warranty will be worthless in case of failure. We each have a responsibility to properly care for our Spyder. Oil consumption replacement is one of those responsibilities at our cost.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

All good points. Thank You! The owners manual has saved my butt more than a few times. The first time we noticed this issue was around 1400 miles. The Spyder went into LIMP mode. Posted the code on Spyderlovers and it referenced low oil. This is a good thing! Can’t remember the error code sorry?
    The dealer wasn't able to duplicated the error code feed it oil and away we go ...

Spyder Garage

Are you guys checking the oil as per operating manual.

The engine should be warm and ran for 30 seconds prior to checking.

The plug should be screwed all the way in when checking.

I was told the engine is a dry sump, so if you dont run it prior to checking,

some oil can seep back into the engine, so when you top it up your over filling it.

Which may cause oil to be pushed out.

Spyder Garage

my 2010 rts only used about a cupfull on a 6000 km trip this summer.took a quart of oil with me and brought most of it home,I use brp blend oil.I also have a 1500 vulcan classic and find that since I changed to full synthetic oil that it would burn some oil would not have to add between changes with dino oil but would with synthetic

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    .....since I changed to full synthetic oil that it would burn some oil would not have to add between changes with dino oil but would with synthetic
    That is typical. Synthetic oil clings to the cylinder walls much better, and is more likely end up on the wrong side of the rings. Synthetics also "creep" better, and are pulled into small gaps more readily, allowing them to pass through valve guides and such more readily. The amount of oil used is not usually enough to cause visible smoke, but the oil usage will exceed that of pure dino oils in most cases, in my experience.

Spyder Garage

Default oil usage

my 2011 rts uses oil, first time i noticed the engine ticked just at cold start, added about 1/2 quart
    i also had a 1500 kawasaki meanstreak it had a wet clutch, i used Shell rotella t6 full synthetic from wal mart $16 a gallon,
    and that is what shell oil recommends for the spyder

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

I agree with Scotty about the synthetic getting past the rings but I used BRP's blend thinking it might be better but with Amsoil full synthetic I add less and think the oil is just going past the rings and 1 quart for 3000 or 2000 miles is acceptable to any manufacturer. My Spyder is the first vehicle that has used oil and I have owned a lot of bikes and cars in my life. After 4 years of driving fun I am slowly getting use to it but deep down I am not a happy camper. I think the oil helps keep this poor little power plant pushing my RT through the wind, so to speak! Here's hoping BRP are building a V4 engine !!

Spyder Garage

HUH ???

The way I read this thread, it's normal for the RT to lose 25% of its oil in between oil changes and everyone is OK with that.

My RT doesn't drink that much oil.

I would be troubled if it did.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    HUH ???

The way I read this thread, it's normal for the RT to lose 25% of its oil in between oil changes and everyone is OK with that.

My RT doesn't drink that much oil.

I would be troubled if it did.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    I don't think anyone said they are okay with that but what are you going to do about it? I know Fred Rau's RT didn't use near as much oil as mine, chances are I ride a little harder than he does. There's guys on here that get 26 mpg and some are claiming 34 mpg so what are you going to do about that? Each machine will act differently and everyone rides different and that has an effect of fuel mileage and oil consumption.

If you're not fouling plugs and not blowing smoke or leaving a puddle on the ground everywhere you go then it's safe to say that it's not a serious problem. I don't like it and I don't like my range per tank but I just deal with it.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2009 SE-5...and when traveling I have to put oil in about every 2000 miles....crazy...but if I don't the Transmission fault will come to see me.....not good...easier to put oil in the Spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I don't think anyone said they are okay with that but what are you going to do about it? I know Fred Rau's RT didn't use near as much oil as mine, chances are I ride a little harder than he does. There's guys on here that get 26 mpg and some are claiming 34 mpg so what are you going to do about that? Each machine will act differently and everyone rides different and that has an effect of fuel mileage and oil consumption.

If you're not fouling plugs and not blowing smoke or leaving a puddle on the ground everywhere you go then it's safe to say that it's not a serious problem. I don't like it and I don't like my range per tank but I just deal with it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Cold Start Knock Sometimes

I notice that my 2010 RTS will sometimes have a slight knocking noise during cold startup after having set in the garage for several days. Sort of sounds like the noise you get right after an oil change. It goes away in a couple seconds and doesn't happen everytime. Nature of dry sump engine?

Spyder Garage

My last two oil changes were sent in for oil analysis and both showed normal wear, but 5% fuel in the oil, so I am going the opposite way showing no oil usage. The tech at the dealer called BRP and was told that this is normal in the Rotax motor. This still makes me nervous.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil...

I must admit I never checked before 3000 miles thinking that any new vehicle should not use any oil.... I did check it (what pain!) at 3400 ( 2800 after the first service) and was surprised to have to had 3/4 of a quart! Even my Norton Commando does not use this amount of oil between oil changes! I am sure everyone is finding excuses (as for the many problems encountered with these machines) but I do not think this acceptable. But as it was said before: what choice do we have!!!
    Philippe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer changed my oil/filters @ 725 and 3,250 miles. I check my oil about every 500 miles. I have 4,900 miles on BR1 now and never needed to add oil. I check it per the book and do not notice any usage, perhaps just a little. Little to no usage kinda concerns me... I have consistantly gotten 29-31 mpg per my Garmin...somewhat less in a strong headwind. I am switching to Amsoil at my 6,000 change. I will be interested if I get better mileage....

Last edited by Mr. White; 11-24-2011 at 11:37 AM.