Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Items needed for the perfect bike

Looking at buying an RT-S SE5 or the RT Limited. Really new to the forum and the bike so I'm showing my ignorance but I want to get the best deal for the best price.

If I buy the Limited, what else do I need other than the CB package to make it a great ride?

If I buy the RT-S are there good options for GPS and placement and again, needing the CB package?? Anything else I'm missing??

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

They are all great rides! What makes it right for any particular individual, depends on the person. Look at your wants and needs, sit on one at your dealer for an extended period, take a demo ride or two if you can, and go from there. I think the stock RTS is pretty great right out of the box, although I did add some lights, Powerlets, my preferred comm system, and a mount for my GPS. Others change the seat, add footboards, add backrests, or even a hand brake. It all depends on what you like. Have fun shopping!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dandan View Post
    Looking at buying an RT-S SE5 or the RT Limited. Really new to the forum and the bike so I'm showing my ignorance but I want to get the best deal for the best price.

If I buy the Limited, what else do I need other than the CB package to make it a great ride?

If I buy the RT-S are there good options for GPS and placement and again, needing the CB package?? Anything else I'm missing??
    I got the RT Limited mainly for the color. I like the GPS option but could have lived without it. The travel bags still haven't been used. May end up selling them. Since I have the matching trailer I can pack with with pretty much any size travel case. Skipped on the CB option because of all the problems people were having with it and I didn't want to have to use the wired BRP headsets. I wanted a wireless comm set. See my signature for the mods I added. My best two mods are the Corbin seat and the Elka front shocks . The rest of the mods were mainly for safety, comfort and bling.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

What kind of comm system does everyone use other than OEM?

Spyder Garage

You will get a lot of opinions on this one. I have the Nolan N43 Trilogy helmets with the built in N-Com bluetooth comm system. I really like it alot. It fits flush with the side of the helmet. However, it isn't an inexpensive solution.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cardo Scala.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cardo Scala team pro.

Spyder Garage

As you decide whether you want the CB, give thought to whether you ride with others who use the cb to communicate between bikes. Try negotiating for the OEM cb as part of the package to make the sale. We ride with our Gold Wing group so we have wired J&M headsets. The OEM communication system works well for us but there is a slight delay in the intercom. I'm not familiar with the other systems so I don't know how well you can communicate with them to other riders.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Starcom1 Advanced.

Spyder Garage

Yes, I would need the CB to communicate with other Goldwing riders.

Can you mount an aftermarket gps that doesn't look "aftermarket" rather than the high dollar OEM gps if I bought a RT-S rather than the Limited???

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    They are all great rides! What makes it right for any particular individual, depends on the person. Look at your wants and needs, sit on one at your dealer for an extended period, take a demo ride or two if you can, and go from there. I think the stock RTS is pretty great right out of the box, although I did add some lights, Powerlets, my preferred comm system, and a mount for my GPS. Others change the seat, add footboards, add backrests, or even a hand brake. It all depends on what you like. Have fun shopping!
    What comm system do you recommend?

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

You asked what makes for the perfect rYde. For me, the best modification that I have done is the ISCI hand brake, which of course, isn't a factory option on either RTS or Limited. It really "perfected" my RT for my needs. But when deciding on RTS or the Limited, it probably comes down to color choices. The RTS is pretty decked out as it is. Either way, you will have a very nice rYde.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    Cardo Scala.
    Ditto.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

The "Perfect" Spyder is relative. I have the "BareBone" 2010 RT and it's the perfect Spyder for me. But if you want to add to whatever Spyder you buy, the options are as limited your mind can imagine and your wallet's contents.
    Last edited by Dudley; 08-09-2011 at 12:59 AM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What makes for the perfect Ryde?? The perfect road and the perfect ryding partner! Anything else is just showing off!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Can you mount an aftermarket gps that doesn't look "aftermarket" rather than the high dollar OEM gps if I bought a RT-S rather than the Limited???
    You can purchase the GPS mounting bracket and harness from BRP for about $150, and mount your own Garmin 660 or 665.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default highway pegs

Just mounted kewlmetal highway pegs..great even for short rides ...looking forward to next week for 2 day trip. Waiting for my driver backrest (due sept 5th). Heat shields (both purchased and homemade) have improved riding comfort.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by horse171 View Post
    Just mounted kewlmetal highway pegs..great even for short rides ...looking forward to next week for 2 day trip. Waiting for my driver backrest (due sept 5th). Heat shields (both purchased and homemade) have improved riding comfort.
    Horse, do you have any pics of your homade items? Inquiring minds need to know. Especially us with sometimers

Spyder Garage

Horse I would like to see the heat shields tooooooooooooo. Thanks Rick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny1 View Post
    Horse, do you have any pics of your homade items? Inquiring minds need to know. Especially us with sometimers
    When it stops raining I will take a picture of my mount.

bought all parts from gpscity.ca

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Horse I would like to see the heat shields tooooooooooooo. Thanks Rick
    what do you want.
    I have Spyderpops right side, cat converter, and the belt protector.

When it gets dry tomorrow I can take some pictures of all 3.

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Teddy gives this set-up a HIGH FIVE

117.jpg16811.jpg075.jpg16769.jpg092.jpg

Spyder Garage

i use scala Q2 and its well wroth the money .i just got back from a 1200 mile ride and didnt have any trouble with them
    i went to walmart got a cheap gps garmin got the mount from the fourms here .. total for the scala and gps 300.00 the mount
    cost about 30 alot cheaper the brp and does evey thing i need
    Last edited by t64507; 08-11-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

you have to use your own preferences.. and the comments of everyone else on here, as contributing factors. and there are A LOT of good contributions on here.

everyone has different needs... for different rides. some OEM SUCKS! on every brand of bikes... and there are some that will fit YOU perfectly; that I wouldn't waste MY money on.

just read therough here and some other club forums... and I thnk you'll find a good mix... that'll WORK for YOU.

and then put it on here... so we can improve our own.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default heat shields

Hi there
    heatshield.jpg

Spyderpops heatshield is shown in the larger opening above the highway peg. The smaller opening directly behind the peg is a shield i made using a thin sheet of copper painted flat black. I was concerned about covering both openings and the heat buildup,but, with taking off the bottom pan the bike actually runs 1 bar lower then before. No more feeling like you put your foot in front of an acetylene torch.