Thread: antenna problem

Spyder Garage

Default antenna problem

On the way back from the owner's event in Maggie Valley, my friend lost her antenna. Had we not read about the recalls on SpyderLovers.com, we would not have known about the problem with the antennas vibrating loose. I called the dealer and questioned whether the loss was covered under the warranty. I mainly questioned this because we both had our bikes into the dealer for maintenance the previous week prior to Maggie Valley and the recall campaigns were not done on the bikes. The dealer first looked up the recall and said that our RT bikes did not fall under this campaign and that's why the warranty work wasn't done. When I actually produced the paperwork regarding this campaign and it stated that "all" RTs were covered, he said that the campaign did not come up under our VIN numbers in his system, but that he would do the warranty work. He also said that the new antenna would be covered. So we both took our RTs into the dealer and had the warranty work done. The antenna for hers had to be ordered but the maintenance was done on mine. When we went back to get her antenna put on, I rode her over on my bike. At the dealer, I just happened to check my antenna. It was loose again! So I told the service mechanic. He said that the thread locking compound that he used was apparently not very good and he put another type of thread lock on mine. So far on mine it is not coming loose.
    Today the dealer called and said that Can-Am was refusing to pay for my friend's antenna under warranty and that she would have to pay $80+ for the antenna. He said that they had gone round and round with Can-Am and they were refusing to pay for it. I believe had the dealer performed the warranty work requiring a lock washer and thread lock when we had the bikes in the previous week, the antenna would not have come loose and dropped off. Therefore, because the dealer failed to perform the required work, they should be liable for the antenna. Now I don't know what the dealer actually told Can-Am, but my friend and I both feel an injustice.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by skosh View Post
    On the way back from the owner's event in Maggie Valley, my friend lost her antenna. Had we not read about the recalls on SpyderLovers.com, we would not have known about the problem with the antennas vibrating loose. I called the dealer and questioned whether the loss was covered under the warranty. I mainly questioned this because we both had our bikes into the dealer for maintenance the previous week prior to Maggie Valley and the recall campaigns were not done on the bikes. The dealer first looked up the recall and said that our RT bikes did not fall under this campaign and that's why the warranty work wasn't done. When I actually produced the paperwork regarding this campaign and it stated that "all" RTs were covered, he said that the campaign did not come up under our VIN numbers in his system, but that he would do the warranty work. He also said that the new antenna would be covered. So we both took our RTs into the dealer and had the warranty work done. The antenna for hers had to be ordered but the maintenance was done on mine. When we went back to get her antenna put on, I rode her over on my bike. At the dealer, I just happened to check my antenna. It was loose again! So I told the service mechanic. He said that the thread locking compound that he used was apparently not very good and he put another type of thread lock on mine. So far on mine it is not coming loose.
    Today the dealer called and said that Can-Am was refusing to pay for my friend's antenna under warranty and that she would have to pay $80+ for the antenna. He said that they had gone round and round with Can-Am and they were refusing to pay for it. I believe had the dealer performed the warranty work requiring a lock washer and thread lock when we had the bikes in the previous week, the antenna would not have come loose and dropped off. Therefore, because the dealer failed to perform the required work, they should be liable for the antenna. Now I don't know what the dealer actually told Can-Am, but my friend and I both feel an injustice.
    Your problem is that you'll pay a lawyer 500.00 bucks or more to win a lawsuit. Keep trying by way of communication and appealing to their pride, or lack thereof, in their dealership.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe you should contact Can Am directly and speak with them. Your dealer should have given you the reason that BRP is refusing to pay for it...
    I'm not saying that your dealer is lying to you, but it's pretty easy to NOT make the call and then tell the customer just about anything you want...

"Trust...but verify!"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The antennas were supposed to be fixed using a lock washer and blue locktite.

If you lost your antenna, they were supposed to replace it free.

A lot of us have had this fix. Both the dealer an I lost ours early on.

While waiting for the part, I went to Wal-Mart and bought a "shorty" antenna that screwed into the port, and it worked fine. Cost $11.00 or so.

If dealer won't make good on the fix--its time to look for a dealer that is not trying to rip you off--for peanuts. How hard is it to get a lockwasher, some loctite, and replace an antenna--just to keep two customers happy?

Think what you may face if there is a big mechanical issue.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-25-2011 at 11:30 AM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Stories like this sure make BRP look bad and could sway folks to look at the competition rather than go with a Spyder. Yet, BRP expects us to advertise for them.

If I had a franchise selling these machines I would have taken care of the problem and the customer would have never known I had a problem getting it fixed by BRP. All of these events that require authorization from BRP and waiting for parts is absolutely crazy. A car dealership would go out of business in just a few months if they ran service and warranty that way. BRP needs to listen to the consumer if they want the CanAm Spyder to catch on and be successful.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My antenna has gone too and was change "free " by my dealer .See directly with BRP ,they have to give you an other one

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a RT S and lost mine in FL while on a trip. It was replaced at no cost. BRP knows this is a problem and should fix it.