Spyder Garage

Default FANCAN Install on 2011 RT

I am trying to install the ISCI SPY-FANCAN-10 on my 2011 RT Limited. When I ordered I asked someone to verify that it will fit on my Spyder and they said yes. So I get the FANCAN and look over the installation instructions and it looks pretty straight forward. However, the pictures are not the same as what I have. The bottom screw on the fan that is used to mount the FANCAN is hidden and unaccessable (see picture). Has anyone else installed one of these on a 2011 RT? Doesn't appear to be an easy task but I will proceed if someone can verify that it will fit.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if there is a difference between the radiator shroud of a 2010 and the 2011 RT?

RT-S PE#0793
    Spyder Garage

You will need to remove the plastic shroud that is held on by the screws that holds the fan in place. This will allow the air to be redirected to the side and out the bottom. Very hard to get to and remove these screws, but it has to be removed. The fan can then is able to redirect the hot air to a much more rider comfortable location.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by manoman14 View Post
    You will need to remove the plastic shroud that is held on by the screws that holds the fan in place. This will allow the air to be redirected to the side and out the bottom. Very hard to get to and remove these screws, but it has to be removed. The fan can then is able to redirect the hot air to a much more rider comfortable location.
    Do you know what needs to be removed in order to remove the shroud?
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    Do you know what needs to be removed in order to remove the shroud?
    Y Rider
    I didn't have to remove the shroud. I did remove the bolts on the plastic frame that the Tupperware connects to. I dog-eared the upper left most corner of the exit tab of the fan can. If you hold the fan can in front of you in what would be the installed position. Only needs about 1.5 inches down from each corner, forming a triangle bent to 90 degrees. Just like you would do to a page of a book. I fought for two hours before doing this and then it went in in five minutes. After it is bolted on, if you want to re-straighten the dog ear just slip on some leather gloves. It bends easily. I left mine bent and I have been extremely happy with the heat reduction. I also combined the fan can with Spyderpops lablock.

Dont forget to remove the lower pan and leave it off!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    Y Rider
    I didn't have to remove the shroud. I did remove the bolts on the plastic frame that the Tupperware connects to. I dog-eared the upper left most corner of the exit tab of the fan can. If you hold the fan can in front of you in what would be the installed position. Only needs about 1.5 inches down from each corner, forming a triangle bent to 90 degrees. Just like you would do to a page of a book. I fought for two hours before doing this and then it went in in five minutes. After it is bolted on, if you want to re-straighten the dog ear just slip on some leather gloves. It bends easily. I left mine bent and I have been extremely happy with the heat reduction. I also combined the fan can with Spyderpops lablock.

Font forget to remove the lower pan and leave it off!
    Where there only 2 bolts mounting the plastic shroud? If so by removing the 2 bolts did this give you enough room to loosen the bottom fan bolt so you can slide the FanCan mounting tab onto it?
    2011 RTL , White

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    Where there only 2 bolts mounting the plastic shroud? If so by removing the 2 bolts did this give you enough room to loosen the bottom fan bolt so you can slide the FanCan mounting tab onto it?
    Yes. I loosened all the bolts so I could slip the slotted tabs into place. But I didn't fully remove the shroud. This method worked well for me. I know bending the corner of the fan can isn't an ideal solution but it will be none the worse for wear afterwards. It still does a great job for me. In my opinion ISCI should consider making the shroud with that 1.5" corner already machined off. It would make the installs much simpler. Looking at the RS it is simple, but our RTs have more plastic that gets in the way. Too bad you aren't a few miles closer, you could just ryde over and I would give you a hand. It is always a bit harder when doing something for the first time. I was so frustrated that I considered sending mine back. Boy am I glad I didn't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    Yes. I loosened all the bolts so I could slip the slotted tabs into place. But I didn't fully remove the shroud. This method worked well for me. I know bending the corner of the fan can isn't an ideal solution but it will be none the worse for wear afterwards. It still does a great job for me. In my opinion ISCI should consider making the shroud with that 1.5" corner already machined off. It would make the installs much simpler. Looking at the RS it is simple, but our RTs have more plastic that gets in the way. Too bad you aren't a few miles closer, you could just ryde over and I would give you a hand. It is always a bit harder when doing something for the first time. I was so frustrated that I considered sending mine back. Boy am I glad I didn't.
    Thanks for the info. I will try your method. I would prefer not to completely remove the shroud.

BTW, Happy Birthday!
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Why does the shroud have to stay? If you cut the shroud off, can you then get to all the bolts to remove them?