Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well Hello Mr. Limp Mode

Early this morning, I was 20 miles from home, on the way to meet my riding buddies. I was coming into a small town, running about 35mph and the orange screen comes on, limp mode, etc. It then said "check DPS". The RT was running a little slowly, etc.

I said something like "Well, Phooey" and pulled into a gas station. I looked in the owners manual and it said 1) remove key and reinsert or 2) tow to dealer.

I said to myself, yeah, right, remove the key...what the H.... Anyway, I removed the key and put it back, the RT started and I ran 150 miles with my buddies with NO further problem.

What the H....??? is this?

My 600 is scheduled next week and I will have them look at it, but... now I don't feel comfortable with things like this happening....

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Could be anything, but I would consider a loose relay, loose connector or bad battery terminal connection pretty early in the process.. Your dealer may find a stored error code at your 600 mile service. Be sure to report the problem.

Spyder Garage

When my girldfriend was riding our 2010 she got the LIMP Mode several times. Each time we shut her down and started her back up the Limp mode would clear.
    Ended up that her foot was lightly resting on the brake pedal and the system was registering that she was applying the brakes but the brakes did not apply and after X amount of times it put the bike into LIMP Mode as a precaution.
    She now makes sure that her foot stays off the brake pedal.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    Early this morning, I was 20 miles from home, on the way to meet my riding buddies. I was coming into a small town, running about 35mph and the orange screen comes on, limp mode, etc. It then said "check DPS". The RT was running a little slowly, etc.

I said something like "Well, Phooey" and pulled into a gas station. I looked in the owners manual and it said 1) remove key and reinsert or 2) tow to dealer.

I said to myself, yeah, right, remove the key...what the H.... Anyway, I removed the key and put it back, the RT started and I ran 150 miles with my buddies with NO further problem.

What the H....??? is this?

My 600 is scheduled next week and I will have them look at it, but... now I don't feel comfortable with things like this happening....
    Chezeburger
    2010 - Orbital Blue RT-S
    2003 - Yamaha V-Star 1100
    2012 - White RT-S Limited added 4/30/13

Spyder Garage

The Check DPS warning is the same as what I was having. Did it two days in a row. After a reset all is fine again. Took it to the dealer last week. They hooked up to BUDS and saw the fault codes. After a discussion with the BRP tech gurus they said to replace the steering angle sensor and magnet. Parts arrived yesterday and were installed and calibrated. Techs took it out for a test ride and no problems. This morning they took it out again for a 30 mile ride with no faults. I picked it up this afternoon and rode it home. 50 miles later and still no problems. Hopefully they found the cause. Battery connections and relays check okay. My dealer's service department is excellent. When I arrived they were just finishing up detailing my bike.

Now for Spyderfest
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chezeburger View Post
    When my girldfriend was riding our 2010 she got the LIMP Mode several times. Each time we shut her down and started her back up the Limp mode would clear.
    Ended up that her foot was lightly resting on the brake pedal and the system was registering that she was applying the brakes but the brakes did not apply and after X amount of times it put the bike into LIMP Mode as a precaution.
    She now makes sure that her foot stays off the brake pedal.

Hope this helps.

Bob
    I know a few folks that have done that and it's a hard one to trouble shoot but that's a good place to start. Keep your foot off the brake

PhotoShop Master
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I know a few folks that have done that and it's a hard one to trouble shoot but that's a good place to start. Keep your foot off the brake

Spyder Garage

I just got back late Thurs from my 600 mile service and the tecs. performed a service bulletin that involved them checking DPS plug to insure it was seated and locked into the plug socket, hook up to BUDS and reset the steering angle sensor .
    Happy Owner

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    I just got back late Thurs from my 600 mile service and the tecs. performed a service bulletin that involved them checking DPS plug to insure it was seated and locked into the plug socket, hook up to BUDS and reset the steering angle sensor .
    That's supposed to be the last part of the DPS replacement, no?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    That's supposed to be the last part of the DPS replacement, no?
    The service bulletin was for 2011 models. Evidently the person on the assembly line responsible for plugging in the steering angle sensor plug hadn't been eatting their breakfast Wheaties and didn't fully insert the plug enough to lock in place. Mine was one of those that wasn't locked in. The servce tech just tugged on the cable and it pulled off the sensor.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think "coming into a small town" might indicate the brake thing. I did that a few times myself. It does post a code, so have the dealer check it out. I do not remember what the code was. BRP tech confirmed brake thing, no problems since.
    Have Fun, Ride Safe
    Oldmanzues

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It was 70F yesterday, and I put 300 miles on my RT - lots of hard riding, traffic to back roads & the only problem I had was filling my tank with $4.45 gas....

Turkey Slayer
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    It was 70F yesterday, and I put 300 miles on my RT - lots of hard riding, traffic to back roads & the only problem I had was filling my tank with $4.45 gas....
    Ouch!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    And it's not even Memorial Day Weekend yet..

Off topic here,but..This gas price thing might put a stop to Maggie Valley for us. That would majorly suck!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Get ready for $5.00 a gallon by july 4th.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As you know, I have been riding since 1948. I always check to make sure I am not riding the brake, but I am new to this scoot and I will be much more aware now with your helpful posts. I will make sure the dealer checks the DPS/limp mode/battery out when I go in next Thursday. I have a very short list for them to review.

I think I mentioned this, but I called the owner for an appointment so I could bring it in and wait for the service as I have no way home if they keep it....anyway, he said I could watch them do their thing and would teach me the best way to remove panels, check the oil, etc. I appreciate this.

I will know a lot more about this dealer and their maintenance department after I watch them do their deed. I know there will be some sort of checklist for them to follow. After 29 years in the AF, I sure know what a checklist is and whether it is being used or just penciled..... I don't know Spyder maintenance, but I will sure know if they know Spyder maintenance...!!

More later. Thanks for your info.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

As you know, I have been riding since 1948. I always check to make sure I am not riding the brake, but I am new to this scoot and I will be much more aware now with your helpful posts. I will make sure the dealer checks the DPS/limp mode/battery out when I go in next Thursday. I have a very short list for them to review.

I think I mentioned this, but I called the owner for an appointment so I could bring it in and wait for the service as I have no way home if they keep it....anyway, he said I could watch them do their thing and would teach me the best way to remove panels, check the oil, etc. I appreciate this.

I will know a lot more about this dealer and their maintenance department after I watch them do their deed. I know there will be some sort of checklist for them to follow. After 29 years in the AF, I sure know what a checklist is and whether it is being used or just penciled..... I don't know Spyder maintenance, but I will sure know if they know Spyder maintenance...!!

More later. Thanks for your info.
    Hey George, things have changed since your Air Force days. The checklists are on computer now.....no pencils needed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey George, things have changed since your Air Force days. The checklists are on computer now.....no pencils needed.

Well, thanks, Scotty. You have ruined my whole day. However, I will be watching the tech...very closely...AND if he takes out a 16" pipe wrench after getting the panels off, I will know BR1 is in big trouble.

ps What? No paper check lists...how do you get anything done these days?

pps When I got assigned to Lackland AFB here in San Antonio in 1967 we had a computer in base supply. It was a UNIVAC 1050II. It had a huge memory drum that floated on air, in a large air conditioned room, maintained by two or three full time engineers.
    As best as I remember it had 250KB of memory...yes KB....we input by punch cards...

I am typing this on a very inexpensive laptop that is many times more powerful than the computers that sent men to the moon!

Scotty, I was told our RT-S Spyders (with SE-5) has eight computers on it. I can not verify this, but it has to have a few...ha ha

It is hell getting old.

Spyder Garage

Smile

BR1, I plan on getting a RT-S very soon. Can you tell me if you got your Spyder in Lytle or New braunsfel.

Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac View Post
    BR1, I plan on getting a RT-S very soon. Can you tell me if you got your Spyder in Lytle or New braunsfel.

Thanks
    You will love the RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, thanks, Scotty. You have ruined my whole day. However, I will be watching the tech...very closely...AND if he takes out a 16" pipe wrench after getting the panels off, I will know BR1 is in big trouble.

ps What? No paper check lists...how do you get anything done these days?

pps When I got assigned to Lackland AFB here in San Antonio in 1967 we had a computer in base supply. It was a UNIVAC 1050II. It had a huge memory drum that floated on air, in a large air conditioned room, maintained by two or three full time engineers.
    As best as I remember it had 250KB of memory...yes KB....we input by punch cards...

I am typing this on a very inexpensive laptop that is many times more powerful than the computers that sent men to the moon!

Scotty, I was told our RT-S Spyders (with SE-5) has eight computers on it. I can not verify this, but it has to have a few...ha ha

It is hell getting old.

I agree about getting old part.
    I am shocked to find my weems plotter and slip stick for center of balance for planes are out of date.
    Those IBM cards made great craft ideas for Cub Scouts.
    OldOLDmanzues

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    I agree about getting old part.
    I am shocked to find my weems plotter and slip stick for center of balance for planes are out of date.
    Those IBM cards made great craft ideas for Cub Scouts.
    OldOLDmanzues
    My slide rule is kinda dusty, too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac View Post

Thanks
    I bought from South Texas Suzuki in Lytle. Kent Motorsports in Selma is also another dealer to shop. If you have questions, email me at scoot62@aol.com and put Spyder in the subject so I will open it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Took Big Red 1 in for his 600 checkup and he passed with flying colors. It seems my "limp mode" was because someone had their foot lightly on the brake pedal and caused the problem. As I said earlier, after I removed and replaced the key I rode on without incident. I have cautioned this person to keep his foot off the brake pedal while crusing along.

I adjusted my Spyder foot rests and now am much more comfortable putting my feet on the rests....they were too high and now are just right.

Last edited by Mr. White; 04-29-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It seems my "limp mode" was because someone had their foot lightly on the brake pedal and caused the problem...
    I hope that you didn't hurt the guy's feelings when you chastised him... How did he take it??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi George,
    I have been following your exploits with BigRed1 with great interest.
    I have just a few hours ago had my spanking new RTS SE5 VYPER RED delivered to my front door.....ooooohhhhweeeeee...aint she a beaut.

I'll be installing my gps & cb/comms system myself in a few weeks.
    I AM disappointed in the range you are getting ...I always thought that cb's had a much greater range than that. I seem to remember back in the old days being able to talk to people many miles away.
    Maybe they have reduced the power output of the units.

I don't know what the legal maximum power output is for cb's either in the US or here in OZ. anyone???

Does anyone know the tech specs on the BRP unit?? power etc.
    or if it's possible to add a booster into the antenna line??
    within legal limits of course...don't want to make someones microwave blow up just as I go past !!!

Hope all is well with you and BigRed1

cheers
    Pete