Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Red face This one wasnt

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The correct Spyder oil filter is not open at both ends. We have SMs, so I am not sure about the transmission filter.
    This filter originally wasn't open at both ends. One end was open with a rubber ring around it that went into the motor. The other end originally had an end cap on it that (IMHO) looks like it was blown off. If you look at the original pic closely, you can see where it looks like the end tore away from the filter. When I opened the housing, it didn't feel like it was stuck besides by the bolts, but I could be wrong. I didn't even see the end cap at all until my brother wiped the housing out & noticed oil kept seeping from the base of the housing. That's when we took a small flat head screw driver & had to pry the end cap out of the base of the housing. That's when I had my OH SH Moment & new something was seriously wrong

But as MagicMan stated, it could be as simple as the glue gave way when I
    pulled the housing off. Tho, that wouldn't explain why I was having major
    shifting issues the week before I discovered this and now that I
    have a new filter & oil change, all seems well with the Spyder once again
    Seems to me that the filter for some reason blew it's top & that's what
    was causing my shifting issues cause the oil wasn't be properly filtered thru
    the filter causing pressure problems. I'm no professional and I don't pretend to know what happened. I just follow the realm of logic & to me, from what I've seen & experienced, this is what seems logical, tho I can't explain how or why.

Again, I appreciate everyones thoughts and opinions on this & by no means do I wish to offend anyone.

Spyder Garage

The problem is the top can't be blown off, there is nowhere for it to go. It makes a lot more sense that the glue came undone and the cap came off in the cover.

As far as your shifting problem goes, did you check the oil level before you changed your oil? Low oil will make a SE not shift right.

Spyder Garage

To stop everybody from worrying about this, I did some R&D in the shop. This time the "D" being for DESTRUCTION.

I took a brand new BRP oil filter and used some heat to soften the glue and removed the end cap.

As you will see, the number on the filter RB-X341 is the same as the filter he has. The other number on these filters is the production run number and is used to know which batch they came from.

With the end cap removed you will see it looks just like his filter except this one has not had any oil on it yet and the glue is a bit dark from the heat I used to remove the end cap.

Lamont is 100% correct!

When the filter is in the machine and outer filter housing is bolted in place it pushes on the end cap of the filter making it impossible for the cap to come off the paper element while the outer housing cover is in place.

It is only when you unbolt the outer housing cover that the end cap if not glued on tight could stay stuck in the outer cover.

Like I said before, use a new filter and some clean oil and you'll be OK.

MM

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Talking Hail to 'da MAN

WOW, Magic Man thank you so much for going thru the trouble of even destroying a filter to help get this answer right

I'm so impressed with your commitment to help all of us get the answers to our problems with our beloved THANK YOU!!!

I figure next week I'll change the oil, filter & this time, the SE5 tranny filter as well just to make sure any contaminants (loose glue ) are totally flushed from the system. Any other recommendations?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    WOW, Magic Man thank you so much for going thru the trouble of even destroying a filter to help get this answer right

I'm so impressed with your commitment to help all of us get the answers to our problems with our beloved THANK YOU!!!

I figure next week I'll change the oil, filter & this time, the SE5 tranny filter as well just to make sure any contaminants (loose glue ) are totally flushed from the system. Any other recommendations?
    No problem!

I know how something like this can weigh on your mind as the not knowing for sure is the worst part. So with the holiday coming who needs to worry about things like this. So off to do some "D" testing I go!

I also know sometimes things like this can be like a snowball rolling downhill and get made bigger than they really are.

I hope you can now rest a bit easier knowing for sure what it is you found, and once you finish your oil change you'll be OK.

MM
    Last edited by Magic Man; 12-22-2010 at 11:46 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

Great thread... Just a small question...

When this happens, is any oil able to bypass the filter and therefore be unfiltered and going back into the engine?

Or is this like many other "Filter covers" that are actually creating a pressure that holds the filter in place and snug, and no oil gets through without going through the filter?

I have not yet changed our oil on our RT-S. Per our purchases agreement, our Dealer has done it both times so far, so I have no personal experience as of yet with this to reference knowledge from. Yeah I have three oil changes worth of oil sitting on the shelf... But that is it... lol

Registered Users
    God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default Question...

Post number 7 picture number 1... is that filter installed backwards?

I'm still under the influence of surgery drugs and not seeing very good... so someone tell me am I seeing it correctly? ken krb1945

Spyder Garage

Its great to see someone going the extra mile and ease someone's concern. That's why I love this forum so much more than any others.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It is all the people like you guys that make SPYDERLOVERS.COM such a great and informative place to come and get answers and share thoughts

So Thanks Everyone

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Magic Man;273208]To stop everybody from worrying about this, I did some R&D in the shop. This time the "D" being for DESTRUCTION.

I took a brand new BRP oil filter and used some heat to soften the glue and removed the end cap.

I think if you would have sent that filter to MITH BUSTERS, Instead of heat they would have done the job with a little Black Powder.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I think if you would have sent that filter to MITH BUSTERS, Instead of heat they would have done the job with a little Black Powder.
    Don't give him any ideas! He's pretty much out of control anyway.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post

Damn! Why didn't I think of that!

MM

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Red face Nope, its Not Backwards

Quote Originally Posted by krb1945 View Post
    Post number 7 picture number 1... is that filter installed backwards?

I'm still under the influence of surgery drugs and not seeing very good... so someone tell me am I seeing it correctly? ken krb1945
    Thats what I saw when I did my oil change. Thought the same at 1st, but ends up that when I pulled the Oil Filter Housing off, the Oil Filter End Cap must have came unglued and the end cap was stuck to the bottom of the housing, leaving behind what you see in the pic, an open ended filter.

So, all in all, it wasnt backwards & due to MagicMans resourcefullness we deducted that it wasnt blown either.

Hope your feeling better soon KRB & HAPPY HOLIDAYS.