Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Hmmmm!!

Lets see.. should I order chocolate cake or carrot cake... Sounds like a personal preference decision to me. They're both incredible. Here's a personal observation... by going three wheels vs two, we have already departed somewhat from conventional motorcycling, going SE5 is just another notch in that departure. For that reason alone Kim & I have decided to go SM5 on both our RT's..... Cake anyone??? Len

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    I own a SM5 and have ridden two SE5s.... I prefer a manual hands-down, but the SE5 is pretty nice too. Shifting is a lot smoother and it seems to accelerate faster. However, I prefer to have control over my shift points thanks.
    You control when to shift on the SE5. The only time it will shift for you is when it downshifts at about 2500 rpm. In effect it never shifts for me except when I want it to, like when I am coming to a stop light. I don't have to bother going down through the gears. I chose all upshifts and all down shifts at any rpm higher than 2500- which is all of them except like I said- coming to a stop when I often left the trans shift itself.

Being a lazy guy at times I would be happy if it had a shift program for up and down, as long as I could turn it off. That would make it more like paddle shifters in a car.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by northramp View Post
    Scotty:
    We all know that a RED electric shift is the best ...but only if u put 93 octane in it ..
    I agree 100%... um except for that last part.

Spyder Garage

Love my SM but I would trade it for a SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    However, I prefer to have control over my shift points thanks.

Me too. It really is "to each his/her own".

Cheers and Ryde Safe!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    Lets see.. should I order chocolate cake or carrot cake... Sounds like a personal preference decision to me. They're both incredible. Here's a personal observation... by going three wheels vs two, we have already departed somewhat from conventional motorcycling, going SE5 is just another notch in that departure. For that reason alone Kim & I have decided to go SM5 on both our RT's..... Cake anyone??? Len
    Cake! Mmmmm, I like cake!

Quote Originally Posted by jgwoods View Post
    You control when to shift on the SE5. The only time it will shift for you is when it downshifts at about 2500 rpm. In effect it never shifts for me except when I want it to, like when I am coming to a stop light. I don't have to bother going down through the gears. I chose all upshifts and all down shifts at any rpm higher than 2500- which is all of them except like I said- coming to a stop when I often left the trans shift itself.
    The reason I was unsure about the SE is I also wanted to maintain control of my shift points. I have all the same control those with SM Spyders have, with the added benefit of not having to worry about downshifting under rapid braking conditions. Sure, I may not be able to pull in the clutch and coast very well, but besides the snowy example given earlier I can't see a lot of Spyder coasting going on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    I have been riding with some 2 wheeler friends along some beautiful mountain roads before. When we stopped I was asking them about the waterfalls I saw, and the sheer rock faces right next to the road that I thought were so cool. They actually said they never saw those things as they were too busy concentrating on riding their bikes. That is when the realization hit me that the SE5 Spyder is truly a different animal, and in a class by itself.
    +1 couldnt have said it better myself! automatic makes everything more enjoyable.

Spyder Garage

Automatic. Its a paddle shifter. You control the revs and the auto downshift is sweet.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Wow, These responces (Ok especally this one) suprises me.
    I have riden an SM but not an SE. I guess I need to go ride one.
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    The SE is back on the list.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RShrimp View Post
    Wow, These responces (Ok especally this one) suprises me.
    I have riden an SM but not an SE. I guess I need to go ride one.
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    The SE is back on the list.
    Definitely don't discount it until you get to try it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default manual/auto

Had a 2008 manual shift.... my 2010 RT is automatic...love it. Like the fact it downshifts into 1st at lights automatically.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=RShrimp;174559]Which should I get? I have never been a fan of automatics but this is a bit of a different beast.

after 6000 mls with the SE .. would never change back (did 13.000mls on a GS-ME) - like most other things on this .. spyder... it needs a time to understand it - makes you faster and much coooler
    chris
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Life is easier with the automatic.............I love it

Spyder Garage

This was our first trip to the smokies with our SE5, as for manual vs auto after riding the gap, the spyder in front had SM they use their brakes alot more than the SE. I found down shifting with the SE gave me more time to watch the road and vihicles in front of me. The only draw back that I can see is the fuel milage and the weight of the spyder. Reason being coming home we met up with another spyder rider with a SM pulling a trailer also and he told us he can go 150 miles on a tank where as we could only go 120. We rode together for about 100 Miles and he definetly got better fuel milage then we did, going the same speed 63mph.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Spyder Garage

I'm getting the manual cause it's cheaper. Did demo the se, did like it, just don't want to spend the money for the se. I'm hoping the 1500.00 price difference will keep my wife from killing me when I bring it home. EEK... it's a Spyder!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rider Steve View Post
    I'm hoping the 1500.00 price difference will keep my wife from killing me when I bring it home.
    Best of luck with that approach!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have both and I have to tell you that the SE5 is a sweet setup. The box is pretty bullet-proof as I have ridden the RS-S extremely hard and shifted that SE5 like an F1 race car and it never let me down once. It makes riding almost a no-brainer!

Then I got 14, which is a SM5. Completely changed my mind about the tranny situation. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE grabbin' my own gears. It's true riding in its purest form. And for me, I don't miss a thing because shifting for me now is so automatic I just don't think about it anymore. It is just instinct now. I just listen to what she wants, and I'm there. WHat I would like to change is the clutch lever though. I don't much care for the stock one. Anybody got any ideas on a good replacement?

Anyway, the bottom line here is that it is a truly personal choice. You have to determine what kind of riding you are going to do and choose from there. The SE5 is a great option. But I love to RIDE. HARD! so for me the SM5 is the preference. My Wife loves the SE, and I feel good that she is into the SE5. I think it makes the ride more enjoyable for her.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Best of luck with that approach!
    My backup plan is to bring my wife outside and say "Hey look it's a SPYDER, run for your life!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rider Steve View Post
    My backup plan is to bring my wife outside and say "Hey look it's a SPYDER, run for your life!
    Outstanding! Let us know how it all turns out for you.

Spyder Garage

My wife isn't the problem. My problem will be when some jerk at Honda try's to tell me it's going to cost me $2000.00 to do the financing. If they try to pull crap like that on me I'll be taking a walk and my wing back home.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    I heard that BRP is going to make 70% of all new units with SE5 due to demand!
    welcome

That is a very interesting piece of information to hear as well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default SE v SM

I have the SM5 2010 RT. I wanted an SE but the dealer said he couldn't get one due to backorders. He got in an SM in my specs, I test drove it and drove it home. I have no problems down shiftng in turns, curves etc. Acceleration is great. It's all in what ur used to. Yes I stalled it a few times at first, but a few minutes of feeling the clutch range and I was off. The only concern is that somtimes the shift is hard, I guess because of revs. By the way, orbital blue is my color although I like the 2011 red and pearl white.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    I heard that BRP is going to make 70% of all new units with SE5 due to demand!
    Probably, most customers are older or beginners. I personally hate the auto. Too much scooter feel.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default a thought from a newbie..

Just my opinion, and I will admit I am a newbie to the Spyder race...

The 'automatic' gives you one less thing to worry about. It will not let you up shift until it is ready (you can press the + all you want, but until it hits the right rpm, it will stay where it is), and you can ignore the downshifting, as the machine will take care of it. You can concentrate on the hills/twists/curves.

My preference, and my two cents. My cars are both manual and automatic (I have a 1990 Miata - manual) that will be seeing less action, now that I have my Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Hey Lamont, do you know where I can get a different clutch lever? I don't much care for the stock one. I'm using the 2-finger technique now and I would like something a bit more ergonomically correct for that technique.

Any ideas, or have you heard/seen any cool setups? I figured if anyone would know you would. Thanks man.

Or if somebody else has an idea, feel free to holler!!