Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DPS recall?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS recall?

Any of you GS/RS owners get a letter about a new DPS replacement yet?

I heard some... rumors...

Apparently they found that there is a technical flaw in the DPS that they've decided to remedy with a completely new design.

The head has 2 helical gears, both steel, that they lubricate with oil at the factory. Once they press them together, the oil is squeezed out and really doesn't get back in there like it should under operation. After a short while there is wear to these gears which can cause sticking or even complete failure.

The new unit contains one steel and one brass gear in their own enclosure which is completely packed with grease so that it stays lubed better.

Adds a new maintenance operation (hit the DPS zerk with some grease every 20k?) and adds a whole new level of confidence in Spyder safety and BRP.

As detailed as this rumor is, it's just a rumor at this point... hope it turns out to be true. I was told to watch for a letter from BRP "soon".

Any other rumors to back this one up?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I aint heard of this.. but if it is true it will sure come out here first.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Make sense to me: after replacing 2 DPS units (42K and 62+15K) every time the steering was effortless...thanks for the info...

Spyder Garage

The birdies are beginning to chirp....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This would be fantastic news! A renewed confidence in the machine would result. I would become a "happy" owner again instead of being a "concerned" one.

I hope beyond all hope that this is true.

Spyder Garage

I have my doubts as I believe Lamont would have heard something and since he is not chiming in............................oh, well.

I do hope it is true though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I have my doubts as I believe Lamont would have heard something and since he is not chiming in............................oh, well.

I do hope it is true though.
    Sometimes birdies are not able to chirp.... Have faith!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I found this post from Lamonster dated 2-1-2010:

"The issue was if they know about it and are working on it, they are. It's taking longer than they thought but I can assure you that they have not spent one day that they weren't working on it. What they don't want is to put another "fix" out that comes back to bite them. From what I understand there will be a real "fix" soon but for whatever reason they have decided to wait till they are a 100% happy with it before they put anything out there.

Trust me, I want this to be gone as an issue as bad as anyone else. I put more miles on mine than most and I want this to be the last thing I think about when driving my Spyder
    ."

I hope this is the "fix" Lamonster was referring to!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Even though I have not experienced any steering issues with my Spyder, this would be welcome news. Who knows, I may actually find it to be even better with a new DPS than it currently is. I am standing by to stand by.

Spyder Garage

Just had a new DPS installed this week--- I shall go take a look at it .....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Can this be done on a scheduled day without leaving it for weeks????????????

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Now that would be very interesting if you got one of the rumored new ones already. Let us know what you find out.

Spyder Garage

I don't see any Zircs on my new DPS. I will say that my Spyder steers incredible now compared to what it was doing!

Here's some numbers off the unit:

1000402A

E01925G00

870A20210065

According to the parts fiche:

DIRECTION ASSIS*POWER STEERING (Includes 24 to 25 )
    709400870 (replaces 709400544)

Dunno what else to say, other than it's working GREAT.... I'll write more about it later... hope I don't have to go back for another 'new' version of the DPS too soon....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Oh well, thanks for checking Dan.

Sarge, I would think this will be something we can schedule with the dealer for when it is convenient for us to get it done. Or at least I would hope that will be the way it goes. Isn't speculation grand?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Now that would be very interesting if you got one of the rumored new ones already. Let us know what you find out.
    If it is true about a new unit maybe it is peminatly lube with grease and doesn't require a zerk. I can't see why it would have one and it should be a sealed unit unlike bushings such in a-arms.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

I'll be calling my dealer this week to see if he's heard anything. Good to know - thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Patience Grasshopper, my guess is it's still a ways out.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Patience Grasshopper, my guess is it's still a ways out.
    But he is not a grasshopper, he is a FireFly and they need to do things quickly before their light burns out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well.. This could be could timing seeing as my steering is starting to feel "notchy" now and then.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

On August 26, 2010, BRP filed a Safety Defect Notification with the NHTSA. This involves all Spyder produced worldwide, through August 19, 2010...some 16,361 units. An excerpt from that notice is reproduced below.

BRP Intends to retrofit worldwide all CAN-AM SPYDER Roadsters manufactured August 19, 2010 with the next generation DPS system. In the United States BRP will notify all owners, including those that responded to the previous remedy notice, to return the vehicles to their dealers for further repair pursuant to Safety Recall No. 09-V162.

The remedy is, indeed, to replace the steering units with a redesigned, more robust unit. I'd suggest that you don't inundate your dealers. This will take considerable time. Even after the letters go out, parts will need to be acquired and service appointments scheduled. If you are having steering problems, you need to see your dealer ASAP, of course, but the rest of us need to wait until the dealers are prepared to handle this massive chore. Sorry Firefly, looks like there is yet another DPS in your future.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    On August 26, 2010, BRP filed a Safety Defect Notification with the NHTSA. This involves all Spyder produced worldwide, through August 19, 2010...some 16,361 units. An excerpt from that notice is reproduced below.

BRP Intends to retrofit worldwide all CAN-AM SPYDER Roadsters manufactured August 19, 2010 with the next generation DPS system. In the United States BRP will notify all owners, including those that responded to the previous remedy notice, to return the vehicles to their dealers for further repair pursuant to Safety Recall No. 09-V162.

The remedy is, indeed, to replace the steering units with a redesigned, more robust unit. I'd suggest that you don't inundate your dealers. This will take considerable time. Even after the letters go out, parts will need to be acquired and service appointments scheduled. If you are having steering problems, you need to see your dealer ASAP, of course, but the rest of us need to wait until the dealers are prepared to handle this massive chore. Sorry Firefly, looks like there is yet another DPS in your future.
    NancysToy You are the Master!!! I read all your posts and I appreicate all the straight foward info you put out there, once again you are the "Master"!!
    As I posted yesterday my dealer hinted there was a recall in the wind. I took my Spyder in Friday because of the sticking and notchy steering they did the software update but were not satisfied with the out come, so they contacted BRP, I should know more tomorrow. Looks like the service dept. is on top of there game, make me feel a little better about my new only 1,400 miles and all ready twice to the shop. There's Hope

Spyder Garage

Soon

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Looks like letters start going out after the 15th. Hopefully I can get mine in before the end of riding season so I can be all ready to roll come Spring.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Soon
    Now that Lamonster chimed in, I'm feeling much much better!