Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good luck again on the two wheels.
    Best thing for me would be a two wheeler and a spyder, but that is difficult in this economic climate.
    I do miss the cornering on two wheels.
    Have fun.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    Thanks Widowmaker, I'll try running in 4th and see how it feels. I still have the habit of getting the revs down by shifting into 5th as soon as possible. I know the Spyder likes to Rev, just got to retrain myself.

Mike
    Mango, do not fret about reving this engine. This V990 has a racing heritage and it loves to rev! I don't tour, I do more performance riding and it took me a while also to get used running in the 7500-8400 range and maybe beyond if the situation calls for it. But this engine is strong and will take it all day. My rides have gotten better and better because I can attack harder and not worry about it. I have complete confidence in the engine. Now if I could just get rid of this nanny...

As far as the gentleman that switched, good luck to you. Picking the right machine is a very personal choice indeed and I hope you have thousands of carefree miles on your new wing.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Mango, do not fret about reving this engine. This V990 has a racing heritage and it loves to rev! I don't tour, I do more performance riding and it took me a while also to get used running in the 7500-8400 range and maybe beyond if the situation calls for it. But this engine is strong and will take it all day. My rides have gotten better and better because I can attack harder and not worry about it. I have complete confidence in the engine. Now if I could just get rid of this nanny...

As far as the gentleman that switched, good luck to you. Picking the right machine is a very personal choice indeed and I hope you have thousands of carefree miles on your new wing.
    It's easy to get rid of the nanny. Builld a bracket and move your sensors to the front.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hope you have many happy miles on the Wing, Perry. I have many friends who love their Goldwings but they are just too big and heavy for me. I don't know how a touring bike could be any better than the Spyder RT, but that's just me - well, and my wife, too.

Cotton

RT-S PE#783
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
    Good luck again on the two wheels.
    Best thing for me would be a two wheeler and a spyder, but that is difficult in this economic climate.
    I do miss the cornering on two wheels.
    Have fun.

Maybe we can help you out . . . now that we have 2 Spyders, the motorcycle has a for sale sign on it... . . . .
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    What engine noise? If you have the stock muffler, it's pretty quiet.

I wonder how many come on here and fish with a small motor?
    SUPER Quiet all I hear is a little whining. Dang how much quieter can you get??

Spyder Garage

Only one complaint about our Spyders... NOT ENUFF TIME TO RIDE!
    Life of a trucker.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by katnapper View Post
    Only one complaint about our Spyders... NOT ENUFF TIME TO RIDE!
    Life of a trucker.....
    I heard that Brother! (Life of an IT slave)... Otherwise I'd be on the bike all the time. I have no reference to the Wing because I don't tour per se', I just ride man! Due to my back I couldn't hold that beast up anyway. But I wish the getleman many safe miles on the new ride.

Spyder Garage

From what I read on this and other sites, It appears that some are buying the wrong machines for the wrong reasons. If you want a machine for sheer PERFORMANCE, Spyder wants some beating, if you want somthing for pottering around and shopping, then dont get a Spyder, and dont complain about it if you make a wrong choice. It is designed to make the blood in your veins flow and your adrenaline kick in. If you want a pussy,go buy one !!!

Just my opinion !!!!

And I love mine ....................

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnboyjohn.pretious View Post
    From what I read on this and other sites, It appears that some are buying the wrong machines for the wrong reasons. If you want a machine for sheer PERFORMANCE, Spyder wants some beating, if you want somthing for pottering around and shopping, then dont get a Spyder, and dont complain about it if you make a wrong choice. It is designed to make the blood in your veins flow and your adrenaline kick in. If you want a pussy,go buy one !!!

Just my opinion !!!!

I actually enjoy "pottering" around the neighborhood on my

Spyder Garage

Hi Musicarcade, Exactly, but you are not complaining !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I might as well NOT have one. Been broken down since 18 June --Most of the summer is going bye , bye and no Spyder.
    Some have been EVEN LONGER!!

BRP service sucks BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mine has been in the shop 4 months this year
    hoping the "jail sentence" is over and I can enjoy the ryde for the rest of the year!

It's really damn frustrating to have it in the shop for so long and to read about so many enjoying their .

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My SM5 cruises all day long 70 & 80 mph with two brothers juice box and exhaust. We rode from Mansfield OH to Lake Erie averaging about 80 mph never even had a hiccup. Put some performance parts on that RT and your problem is solved.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    My Wing was outstanding on the Interstates with way too much power, and a fair amount of comfort. I find my RT to be buzzy at 65 mph+, but it is a lot more comfortable, a lot more.

I must admit that I miss the Wing's cruising performance, but would never go back. I found the Wing handle great at speed, but it pretty bad when traveling slower. I really hated starting off on the Wing, and having to immediately turn, as you often do in a parking lot. Never was sure what the bike was going to do. And first gear was so low it was almost useless.

I find the RT better for everything except interstate speeds. My RT's gas mileage really drops when on the interstate, and it the bike just doesn't feel like it wants to travel at those speeds. So, I try to avoid them and thoroughly enjoy my time on the side roads, seeing the sights, meeting people and generally enjoying my ride (something I seldom did on the Wing).

But to each his own. Hope you have many wonderful, safe miles on your Wing.

Mike

PhotoShop Master
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The Spyder (my SM5) is the best ride I've ever had for touring. The next best I've had was my Honda Valkyrie Tourer.
    i agree rode 960 miles to lamonts in one day ....so did my girl on her spyder ...
    but if your happy with your purchase ....then all the power to you ,,,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just my opinion !!!!

Dude, I couldn't agree more! After I got the RS-S broke in I rode it HARD! and guess what? She loved it. It seemed like each time I would get back from a good exciting ride, the next day the bike would be waiting for it again. These things seem to have very interesting personalities that you can actually sense. The Vette was the same way. It's like they can talk to you. That Vette loved to run, and so do these Spyders. It just seems like if you baby them they lag and seize up on you. 14 (the Phantom) is turning out to be the same way. In fact I sense something even more sinister in 14 that the RS-S didn't have in it.

I have a feeling we are going to have some good times, 14 and I...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I might as well NOT have one. Been broken down since 18 June --Most of the summer is going bye , bye and no Spyder.
    Some have been EVEN LONGER!!

BRP service sucks BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sarge, I have heard cases of this nature and I am sorry for your problems and for the others too. It sucks. I think there is always going to be a certain percentage of any product that is just going to be problematic for any number of reasons. I also think it's been pretty well documented that there are significant gaps in BRP's customer service record and the dealer network that needs to be addressed. I have to believe that they know this and are working on it. I just wish they would take cases like yours and prioritize them so a resolution can be found and you can get back on the road. I truly hope you can get your machine back soon. Good luck to you. Positive thoughts out your way!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down best touring ride ever..

just curious...being that we owned a 2000 Valkyrie...sold it bought a Gold Wing, sold it to buy the Spyder...HAVE YOU EVER SAT ON A GOLD WING???(fall a sleep)
    The gas mi. on the Spyder is less than desirable, the Goldie got 45 mpg the Spyder gets 27 if we're lucky... noisy,vibration makes our hands& feet fall asleep,
    looking to sell ours too...have fun with it though like he said it's a blast around town! & lots of attn!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The Spyder (my SM5) is the best ride I've ever had for touring. The next best I've had was my Honda Valkyrie Tourer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    SUPER Quiet all I hear is a little whining. Dang how much quieter can you get??
    the noise is the engine itself as it "lugs" in gear. (mostly on the rts-se5's. the vibration travels through the handle bars.) much noisier than the Gold Wings. (they PURRR)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
    just curious...being that we owned a 2000 Valkyrie...sold it bought a Gold Wing, sold it to buy the Spyder...HAVE YOU EVER SAT ON A GOLD WING???(fall a sleep)
    The gas mi. on the Spyder is less than desirable, the Goldie got 45 mpg the Spyder gets 27 if we're lucky... noisy,vibration makes our hands& feet fall asleep,
    looking to sell ours too...have fun with it though like he said it's a blast around town! & lots of attn!!
    I just don't get the handlebar vibration some talk about. Stock seat works fine for me (though I do really like Lamont's Corbin). I got an average of better than 35 mpg going to Canada and back (about 2400 miles). I've done over 1100 miles in 1 day after an 850 miles the day before. The Spyder is a great long distance maching for me.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That's what happens when you take a twitchy direct steering, high revving light weight,three wheel sports car, hang luggage on it and drive it like a cadillac.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
    the noise is the engine itself as it "lugs" in gear. (mostly on the rts-se5's. the vibration travels through the handle bars.) much noisier than the Gold Wings. (they PURRR)
    That's it's way of saying keep me spinning at 6 k

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default bye bye BRP & SPYDER

Being that we owned a 2000 Valkyrie...sold it bought a Gold Wing, sold IT to buy the Spyder...HUGE MISTAKE! on the GOLDIE, you can (fall a sleep)
    The gas mi. on the Spyder is less than desirable, the Goldie got 45 mpg the Spyder gets 27 if we're lucky... noisy, vibration makes our hands& feet fall asleep,
    looking to sell ours too...& as far as the "..purchase the wrong machine" person: yep both of us did probably due to no test ride avail! & we GOLD WING riders are spoiled by the QUITENESS, SMOOTHE RIDE W/ TORQUE, ENGINE SOUND....COMFORTABLE FOR 500 MI RIDES, & GASSING UP EVERY 250 MI'S not sweating it @ 100.
    Gorgeous bikes, but LIKE a Harley, great for BAR HOPPING not cross country like the famed Gold Wing.
    Enjoy your new 2010,(we will too)
    No doubt obsolete now that they are made in Japan!!
    (so NEVER SELL HER!!)
    you can always trike it out that is where we are headed soon! (ca. side car is best)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default some buying wrong machines

with buying the wrong machines BUT due to the fact NO TEST DRIVE!!: (the rs & rt are 2 diff bikes by the way)...the touring model like a spyder..bites. We owned a 2000 Valkyrie...sold it bought a Gold Wing, sold IT to buy the Spyder RTS-se5...HUGE MISTAKE! on the GOLDIE, you can (fall a sleep)
    The gas mi. on the Spyder is less than desirable, the Goldie got 45 mpg the Spyder gets 27 if we're lucky... noisy, vibration makes our hands fall alseep,
    We GOLD WING riders are spoiled by the QUITENESS, SMOOTHE RIDE W/ TORQUE(like floating..not like on "wash board", ENGINE SOUND.... COMFORTABLE FOR 500 MI RIDES, & GASSING UP EVERY 250 MI'S not sweating it @ 100.
    Gorgeous bikes, but LIKE a Harley, great for BAR hopping.
    Some riders out there like to challenge life...we enjoy it instead. We prefer to "roll" through the turns, not drag pegs challenge the posted speed limit & the bikes limits.
    w/no test drive we presumed the Spyder to be smoothe riding out to "cruise" the mountain roads. We also don't like numb hands.. you can't feel the throttle grip & could get UGLY! (no control) but that's our opinion, we like to come home in one piece, enjoy a RELAXING ride NOT adrenaline rush. (get enough stress during work hrs....)
    enjoy your rides though! NEVER stop the adventure!

Just my opinion !!!!