Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Post Oil change on an se5?

I'am going to be doing my 6000 mile oil change soon and i was wondering the small oil filter for the tranny it says in the book page 84 that it does not have to be changed till 12,000 mile but my thinking is if the engine and tranny are sharing the same fluid why not change it at every oil change couldn't their be particals in their also that could go back to the engine?

Spyder Garage

I hear Ya! The manual says every 12,000 . I,m going to change mine every other oil change or 6,000 miles. The filters only $7.78 at
    SHS powersports?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default marshatpowe

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I hear Ya! The manual says every 12,000 . I,m going to change mine every other oil change or 6,000 miles. The filters only $7.78 at
    SHS powersports?
    I'd change the filter if I knew how to do this! Being a girly girl who weighs under 100 pounds is a drag.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I never understood the wisdom of changing the oil and not changing all the filters. Every other oil change even used to be the standard for autos. I would probably change it at each oil change. By the same token, with the quality of filters that are used today, there is no actual need to change a filter until it is becoming plugged. You would not want to open the bypass and pass dirty oil through the engine, but that isn't going to happen very quickly with today's engines. The point where the filter is partially plugged is probably well beyond any specified service intervals...but the filter cannot be seen or its condition determined without removal. At that point, we may as well change them out and remove all doubt. Conservative, yes, but inexpensive compared to the cost of the machine itself.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I never understood the wisdom of changing the oil and not changing all the filters. Every other oil change even used to be the standard for autos. I would probably change it at each oil change. By the same token, with the quality of filters that are used today, there is no actual need to change a filter until it is becoming plugged. You would not want to open the bypass and pass dirty oil through the engine, but that isn't going to happen very quickly with today's engines. The point where the filter is partially plugged is probably well beyond any specified service intervals...but the filter cannot be seen or its condition determined without removal. At that point, we may as well change them out and remove all doubt. Conservative, yes, but inexpensive compared to the cost of the machine itself.
    Me personally i'am going to change it but i was wonder who does it on a regular basis.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Me personally i'am going to change it but i was wonder who does it on a regular basis.
    My feeling is those that do their own maintenance are changing both filters, every time.

I'm with Nancy's Toy. The transmission filter probably doesn't need changing every time. And the truth be know, I'd bet the engine filter doesn't need changing every time either.

The problem I would have is the old oil that is retained in the Transmisson filter reservoir. That is what would bother me.

Why mix old oil into my fresh new oil. especially for the cost of changing the filter out.

I don't have an SE but for me, it would be a no brainer. Several thousands for a new motor or a few bucks for a new filter and great piece of mind.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil filter

It's more important to change the transmissions oil filter than the engine, the engine is not as critical as the transmission because of all those little vowels in the tyranny, I change both.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Check oil? Do you check after every ride?

I have 1200 hundred miles on my RTS. Loving every mile of it. Question - should I check the oil after every ride? Thanks!!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mistycrest View Post
    I have 1200 hundred miles on my RTS. Loving every mile of it. Question - should I check the oil after every ride? Thanks!!

You could if you want to, wouldn't hurt.
    That said after a while you'll get tired of checking it after every ride,
    And then you probably won't check it so often.
    Some times i don't bother to check mine for 5 to 7 hundred miles and i never had to add oil.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mistycrest View Post
    I usually check a motorcycle oil level several times until I get a good idea of what is 'Normal' for that engine. Typically, modern engines just don't use much oil so if it is getting low something is usually wrong.

My Spyder hasn't used oil since I fixed the oil in the air box issue. And even then it wasn't enough to concern me (oil level in the engine I mean).

So now, if I don't see any oil on the ground or smell any burning I don't check much.

Not saying this is the best way to go, just the way I've gotten used to doing it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks BajaRon & boborgera.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did mine at 6000 and it was sure dirty, for the cost I will change it everytime I do the oil change it can't hurt.

Registered Users
    God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

The wise rider changes both filters every time.

I change all our filters at every oil change. New filters help prevent down time. Ken krb1945

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OEM <> SPEC OIL CHANGE KITS!
    Basic Kit - Eng. oil filter, 2 copper seals, 1 "O" ring seal $17.80 shipped to you in USA. Overseas slightly more.
    SE5 kit - Basic kit plus HCM filter & "O" ring $29.20 shipped in USA. AMSOIL @ cost.

Order PayPal remit to krb1945@yahoo.com or 770-780-9084

Only M/C filter with German TUV, QS-9000, & ISO 9002 certifications

Shameless plug!! I'll be in touch!! No seriously, I will!! I'm just about do for a change.

Anywho, I'm with you guys. I shall change both filters at every oil change. I was going to do the tranny filter every other, but I have reconsidered. Seven dollars vs. 18,000... kind of a no brainer!

Registered Users
    God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default Raptor... shameless plug Yeah...

Yeah... it was wasn't it? But it is true too. Have a great weekend my friend. Please ride 'em safely Ken krb1945

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krb1945 View Post
    Yeah... it was wasn't it? But it is true too. Have a great weekend my friend. Please ride 'em safely Ken krb1945
    You have another order for 2 complete SE5 kits.

Thanks again!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Hmmm...

Do you need to dump the oil in order to change the tranny filter? I don't have the new service manual yet for the SE5. And the 2008 service manual has nothing specific for the SE5...

Thanks

2faston3

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2faston3 View Post
    Do you need to dump the oil in order to change the tranny filter? I don't have the new service manual yet for the SE5. And the 2008 service manual has nothing specific for the SE5...

Thanks

2faston3
    I dump it all and replace both filters at the same time. You may be able to replace it without dumping the oil, but I feel safer doing so. Perhaps someone else will chime in who has done it like you are asking.