Spyder Garage

Default o -ring and washer set replacement?

does anyone now if the o ring and washer set is reuseable after the oil change I bought 2 filters off ebay but they only came with 1 seal set, where could I purchase more if needed? thanks for the help

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Although BRP specifies changing them at every oil change, you can often reuse them. Close inspection and proper installation are the keys. Look at the O-ring for dirt, tears, nicks or flattening, and check the fit to see that it is not stretched. Check the washer for nicks or indentations, and especially a large indentation from the drain plug. You can usually get away with turning it over and putting the drain plug indentation toward the engine one time. In time the copper washers work harden, and become less effective unless annealed, even if they are blemish free. I don't recommend using them indefinitely. One last caution, clean the O-ring and oil it lightly before you install it, so the cover won't grab, and tear or roll it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy taflinger View Post
    does anyone now if the o ring and washer set is reuseable after the oil change I bought 2 filters off ebay but they only came with 1 seal set, where could I purchase more if needed? thanks for the help
    As Nancy's Toy says, the O-Ring and copper washers can be used for several oil changes. Check each as discribed by NT and you should be good to go. It is a good idea to have a spare set on hand in case you find a damaged part. Otherwise you're waiting for parts to show up before you can complete the operation.

Some like to change everything with each oil change and that's fine too.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-03-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Although BRP specifies changing them at every oil change, you can often reuse them. Close inspection and proper installation are the keys. Look at the O-ring for dirt, tears, nicks or flattening, and check the fit to see that it is not stretched. Check the washer for nicks or indentations, and especially a large indentation from the drain plug. You can usually get away with turning it over and putting the drain plug indentation toward the engine one time. In time the copper washers work harden, and become less effective unless annealed, even if they are blemish free. I don't recommend using them indefinitely. One last caution, clean the O-ring and oil it lightly before you install it, so the cover won't grab, and tear or roll it.
    Great advise! How are you liking your RT?

As for the copper washers. Lamont changed my oil awhile back (great guy - Thanks Lamont). Now if I could just get him to buy my Ams Oil....

But anyway, he left the copper washer off the engine case. I ran about 5,000 miles with no washer at all! Not a drop of oil was lost. Didn't realize it was missing until I changed oil again.

I'm not recommending this but at least it proves a good fit on the drain plug.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    ...How are you liking your RT?....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    One last caution, clean the O-ring and oil it lightly before you install it, so the cover won't grab, and tear or roll it.
    That's good to know! I plan on changing my oil this week.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy taflinger View Post
    krb1945 (Ken) here on the forum sells filters and washers. Try him out.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

But anyway, he left the copper washer off the engine case. I ran about 5,000 miles with no washer at all! Not a drop of oil was lost. Didn't realize it was missing until I changed oil again.
    I did this on my first oil change. I was draining the used oil into a jug and spotted the washer in the pan. What a dishearting feeling. I drained all the brand new oil out and installed the washer. It's one of those little incidents that I(hopefully) only do once, like hitting the kill switch..

I ve been using the same washers and o-ring for 4 changes. No leaks.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Great advise! How are you liking your RT?
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Not happy so far, long punch list, see this thread. Spyder in the shop for the last week, stay tuned for further developments. No word on when I might get it back. If it is not improved, they can keep the darned thing!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Its the same for a lot of Japanese and European cars/bikes. I have never replaced the copper washers on any that had them and never had a leak. I just made sure the parts were perfectly clean when I put them back on. On my dad's BMW 740 it also has a rubber O ring for the filter housing and only replaced that a couple times, been reusing it with no problems as long as its not cracked or deformed. On my 93 Nissan 240SX it still has the original metal washer thats now flat but never leaks either, so I geuss it doesnt really matter.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I m sure BRP wants you to use new washers with every change considering the price that they are asking for them..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    krb1945 (Ken) here on the forum sells filters and washers. Try him out.

I just ordered 3 kits from him. He is one of our site sponsors and that is a good thing.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by draboo View Post
    I m sure BRP wants you to use new washers with every change considering the price that they are asking for them..
    I just reverse the washers every time i change my oil.
    Never had a copper washer go bad. Now Nylon washers that were used on some cars they'll go bad. But I'm no hero if i have doubts I'll toss it.