Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Mechanic Wanted in Florida

My wife and I ride a 2020 RTL. Although there is nothing especially wrong with it, we would like it gone over by a good mechanic before taking a long trip. Do any of you folks have a suggestion in Florida?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 09:45 PM.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

From notes someone here reported:
    Central Florida Power Sports, Kissimmee, FL. Happy customer reports yrs of good service

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Chipveres, not busting your butt, simply, Florida is a pretty long state, North to South. Also has reasonable distance East to West.

Additionally, besides maybe a hint of your location, are you intending to have the work done by a Spyder dealer, or hopeful to find an independent shop or tech.

FWIW, as you probably already know, there are only a few good shops here in Florida. Far more shops to avoid, than there are shops to trust. There is also a few independent techs.

Spyder Garage

Mechanic Wanted in Florida

As well as 49 other states and a few territories.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are so right PMK, I live in FL, and it's 40 miles to my nearest dealer I avoid going there if possible, not because it's bad, but because it's a day out of my life just sitting around doing nothing. If my Spyder did not fire up and run for whatever reason and I could not fix it, that would be double trouble.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    You are so right PMK, I live in FL, and it's 40 miles to my nearest dealer I avoid going there if possible, not because it's bad, but because it's a day out of my life just sitting around doing nothing. If my Spyder did not fire up and run for whatever reason and I could not fix it, that would be double trouble.
    For our Spyder, not that it goes to the shop, only been there for a couple warranty items, I have at least three, possibly five dealers within 40 miles of home.
    Regardless, I drove 155 miles each way to my dealer of choice when warranty was needed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow, a serious day trip to get there early and get it done. Worth every mile if you trust your dealer and the Spyder mechanic.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2024 at 09:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Wow, a serious day trip to get there early and get it done. Worth every mile if you trust your dealer and the Spyder mechanic.
    Honestly, there are some more fun routes vs taking the Fla TP to Kissimee. Kind of adds fun to the trip.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2024 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

True that, from Sebring a fun trip can be had.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Chipveres, not busting your butt, simply, Florida is a pretty long state, North to South. Also has reasonable distance East to West.

Additionally, besides maybe a hint of your location, are you intending to have the work done by a Spyder dealer, or hopeful to find an independent shop or tech.

FWIW, as you probably already know, there are only a few good shops here in Florida. Far more shops to avoid, than there are shops to trust. There is also a few independent techs.
    Recommendation of Central Florida Power Sports duly noted. If I demanded egg in my beer, the mechanic would be an independent in Greater Miami. Recognizing the likely futility of this, we are willing to make a trip to any other part of the state.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gwolf View Post
    mechanic wanted in florida

as well as 49 other states and a few territories.
    OUCH!!!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chipveres View Post
    Recommendation of Central Florida Power Sports duly noted. If I demanded egg in my beer, the mechanic would be an independent in Greater Miami. Recognizing the likely futility of this, we are willing to make a trip to any other part of the state.
    More specific, whereabouts in the Miami area?
    How involved, or what tasks need to be done?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    OUCH!!!
    Ironic that on the FB group, I created a topic, asking independent Spyder techs to post their info including contact info.

The couple of replies were simply a persons name.

With the lack of details from these independents, and apparent no need to get the word out, both to help the tech generate business and to help owners, I merely deleted that topic and determined like so many things in life, the good may survive, the less good will be gone, and it is up to owners to sort it out.

Spyder Garage

Seminole Powersports in Sandford FL.. Excellent service dept., not cheap. $159/hr.. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

There are a few bad dealers and service departments, as well as "untrained" mechanics. There are a FEW good ones also, but unfortunately, they are far between. I have been a "lucky" Spyder owner and owned Spyders while living in two states. My original dealer dropped the Spyder line because of "issues" with the mother ship. I was fortunate to move to a state with two very good "independent" mechanical places that worked on Spyder.

Peter also gave a warning earlier that Platinum and Gold dealerships have "nothing" to do with mechanical expertise. They refer to "sales" achievements. Let the buyer be "aware."
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-18-2024 at 02:55 PM. Reason: edited because of a misuse of the word dirth (dearth)

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Overall, BRP has a good product with the Spyder, it's too bad they don't exercise more control over the dealers and the tech's. But then that's probably a problem with most of the motorcycle brands. Most dealer's are now charging $125/$150 an hour work on the Spyder, to me that's high dollar.

Spyder Garage

Overall, BRP has a good product with the Spyder, it's too bad they don't exercise more control over the dealers and the tech's. But then that's probably a problem with most of the motorcycle brands. Most dealer's are now charging $125/$150 an hour work on the Spyder, to me that's high dollar.
    The bottom line is, most mechanics do not like working on the Spyder. It is more difficult and, in many ways, a one of a kind machine. It's almost like they engineered it to be hard to work on.

The certified BRP trained tech at our local Can-Am dealer quit a few years ago and opened his own shop down the street from us because he hated working on Spyders. He's a very good mechanic and I'm sure he did a good job while at the dealership. But now he sends all his Spyder work to us and we send most of our 2-wheeled work to him.

We are nearly exclusively Spyders all day long (except in the winter when things slow down). We do work on other things from Side-By-Sides to lawnmowers over the winter when Spyder business is slow. And even an occasional 2-wheeler or golf cart. (We've got a mechanic that used to do equipment maintenance work at a golf course). We can do much more than just Spyders. But I'm always going to put Spyder/Ryker customers first because that is who we are. Working on just one product as our main course gives us an advantage in the Spyder/Ryker world over those who regularly work on everything from boats to bikes to snowmobiles along with the occasional Spyder/Ryker.

In many ways the Spyder/Ryker are peculiar beasts. We love the machine and though a challenge sometimes. Our guys really enjoy working on them. And I can say, without hesitation, that Spyder/Ryker owners are the world's best customers. They enjoy their machine and we enjoy making them happy.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-18-2024 at 04:02 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron, I think your comment says it all. I see the Spyder a complicated piece of equipment, and I'm not even a mechanic. Just thinking about getting the Tupperware off gives me pause. But my 2020 RTL speaks to me in good ways, and always does what I ask of it giving me that comfortable ride every time.

Spyder Garage

And if I were to add to a previous post, Ron is considered one of the "good" ones.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, I know AR, I live in Sebring FL, and I want to make a trip to his Greenville just see what needs done on my 2020 RTL. I'm sure there's something I can't live without. I have a friend from Post Office days that lives in Kodak, TN, wants me to visit. Greenville is only an hour or so from his house. Probably not gonna happen this yeqr, I had some hip work done and not sure I'll be up for the ride before TN cold weather moves in.

Spyder Garage

The bottom line is, most mechanics do not like working on the Spyder. It is more difficult and, in many ways, a one of a kind machine. It's almost like they engineered it to be hard to work on.

The certified BRP trained tech at our local Can-Am dealer quit a few years ago and opened his own shop down the street from us because he hated working on Spyders. He's a very good mechanic and I'm sure he did a good job while at the dealership. But now he sends all his Spyder work to us and we send most of our 2-wheeled work to him.

We are nearly exclusively Spyders all day long (except in the winter when things slow down). We do work on other things from Side-By-Sides to lawnmowers over the winter when Spyder business is slow. And even an occasional 2-wheeler or golf cart. (We've got a mechanic that used to to equipment maintenance work at a golf course). We can do much more than just Spyders. But I'm always going to put Spyder/Ryker customers first because that is who we are. Working on just one product as our main course gives us an advantage in the Spyder/Ryker world over those who regularly work on everything from boats to bikes to snowmobiles along with the occasional Spyder/Ryker.

In many ways the Spyder/Ryker are peculiar beasts. We love the machine and though a challenge sometimes. Our guys really enjoy working on them. And I can say, without hesitation, that Spyder/Ryker owners are the world's best customers. They enjoy their machine and we enjoy making them happy.
    ……and I think some owners lose sight of that level of complexity, Ron, and bitch and moan when a good Spyder shop charges above their local bike shop rates. In my mind, they are worth every cent. Heck, to even work on a ‘20+ RT requires you to remove not only the Tupperware, but also the black “under” cover which all adds to the overall time taken/cost.
    I only wish we had a few shops like yours out here in Oz. I travel 5 hours to mine and am prepared to pay whatever he charges as I know he does a first rate job……as does BajaRon, Lamonster and several others.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

OUCH!!!
    That hurt! I know it's just an oversight.
    2011 Can AM RT-S SE5 Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Mechanic Wanted in Florida

As well as 49 other states and a few territories.
    OUCH!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaping1 View Post
    That hurt! I know it's just an oversight.
    Just to clear things up on this. I didn't take what Gwolf said as personal. His post was generic and so was mine. We both wish there were more good service departments out there. The Spyder and their owners don't always get the top quality service that they deserve. I don't see what we do here at BajaRon's as anything special. It's our customers who are special. The Spyder/Ryker are great machines. They just need a little help from time to time (don't we all!).

In short, we're all good here!

Spyder Garage

Coincidently, today I met up with the two gentlemen from SC that purchased my F3's in October of last year. Both had very good things to say about Ron and his work on their machines. They made the drive to see Ron and have their vehicles serviced.

They were on their way back from the rally in Hot Springs AR when they stopped by my home to visit and take us to lunch.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-18-2024 at 06:18 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In a very sad way, almost all mechanical type trades are in dire straights to find good techs, honestly they struggle just to find techs.

These industries accept the talent they get, and hope for the best.

FWIW, the aviation industry is an industry I know. Shops, once they learn you have any experience, and have been within the industry for years, they immediately state a job offer. Truth told though, my answer is no, as I have done my time, and prefer not to be the go to guy to constantly fix other techs incompetent mistakes. My long time friends, I have worked with have the same attitude. Ironically, most of the offers are making an hourly wage at about 50% shop rate. Simply less expensive to have few if any come backs, and have happy customers willing to pay for quality workmanship by experienced mechanics.

Years ago, as I was winding down my aviation career, I purchased BUDS, BUDS2, and a ROLO Laser Alignment set up. Unfortunately, even though Spyders are not that complicated, it is easier to work 1/2 the hours and pocket a lot more money. So the ROLO (modified by me to allow far more accurate alignments than oem ROLO), and the BUDS just sits there collecting dust.

Overall though, yes, Spyders do require gaining access and closing up, but they are pretty simple machines. Find a good tech, with awesome tech skills and strong electrical troubleshooting skills and they are you best value.
    Last edited by PMK; 05-19-2024 at 05:46 AM.