Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trong View Post
    The only thing to watch for is the API Donut with label saying "RESOURCE CONSERVING", most oils with viscosity of xW30 or less will have that since they have friction modifier(s) added. Oils with xW40 and higher don't have friction modifier(s) and they are safe for use in engines with wet clutch.
    Also the Rotella T6 5W40 is excellent engine oil but it is not certified to use in gasoline engines per API Service classification, reading the label, it is designed for Diesel Engines with certain additives. I'm sure Rotella T6 oil won't harm Spyder engines - vTwin or Triple - on long run but why take a risk just to save a few dollars on your $20K plus toy.
    Just my 2cents.

Cheers!
    Where did you see that T-6 is NOT CERTIFIED for use in gasoline engines ???????? ..... Thanks Mike

Spyder Garage

This should be The End of any 710 discussion.

Cheers!
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Check this document out

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/prod...sae-15w-40.pdf

Rotella T6 is CK-4 certified but nowhere in the document mentions that is is SN or SM certified for gasoline engine. Not even JASO MA certified. It just happens that diesel engines require higher viscosity oil and this T6 is one of the best out there for diesel engines.
    Motorcycle owners see this full synthetic T6 in the viscosity that matches the requirement of motorcycle engines with wet clutch, at very good price compare to motorcycle oil, so most of them switched to this T6. Many motorcycle owners swear by this oil. And I somewhat agree. I used that T6 once in my '13 RTL until last spring when I changed the engine oil I switched back to Mobil1 5W40 European car formula. Engines in the Spyders were designed and manufactured in Europe by Rotax so using Euro formula oil seems to be a logical choice.
    No Offend to anybody here, just my own experience and opinion.

Cheers!
    But doesn't the yellow 'Specifications & Approvals' block on page 2 of that linked document ^^ include both JASO and MA/MA2 in T6's listed approvals??

Besides, most diesel oils are not only 'suitable' for gasoline engines, but pretty much meet & exceed all the relevant gasoline lubricant standards, with the addition of added cleaning/detergent agents & anti-foaming properties.... So generally, if the viscosity range is appropriate, a diesel oil is not only 'suitable' for a gasoline engine, it's even better than 'just suitable'!

But it is your Spyder, you can run what you like - me, I usually run a full synthetic 10W40 Penrite oil that's specifically suited for 4 stroke wet clutch motorcycle engines (with JASO & MA cert's ) AND it's ALSO listed as being "suitable for most petrol, diesel, or racing internal combustion engines" that require oil in the same viscosity range besides!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-17-2021 at 02:56 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Check this document out

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/prod...sae-15w-40.pdf

Rotella T6 is CK-4 certified but nowhere in the document mentions that is is SN or SM certified for gasoline engine. Not even JASO MA certified. It just happens that diesel engines require higher viscosity oil and this T6 is one of the best out there for diesel engines.
    Motorcycle owners see this full synthetic T6 in the viscosity that matches the requirement of motorcycle engines with wet clutch, at very good price compare to motorcycle oil, so most of them switched to this T6. Many motorcycle owners swear by this oil. And I somewhat agree. I used that T6 once in my '13 RTL until last spring when I changed the engine oil I switched back to Mobil1 5W40 European car formula. Engines in the Spyders were designed and manufactured in Europe by Rotax so using Euro formula oil seems to be a logical choice.
    No Offend to anybody here, just my own experience and opinion.

Cheers!
    Well YOU really need to read the Label that you just posted a LINK to : The yellow spec box says JASO DH-2 , MA / MA-2 .... if a Spyder is used in a mostly VERY warm climate I would use the 15w-40 weight but most here only use the 5W or 10W - 40 weight. I suggest you change your posts, it's mis-information ...... thanks ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Anyone using Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 15w-40 in their Spyder RT? I see that it is rated for motorcycle clutches.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2024 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Moved Post title after thread merge - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

A lot of us Spyder riders do. But T6 is 5W-40, unless that's a typo, or T6 comes in 5W and 15W, being not aware of 15W of T6. I also use it in my Honda NT700V. Cheaper alternative is to buy it in 5-gallon containers rather than quart size.
    Last edited by Woodaddict; 05-16-2024 at 05:50 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I get the T-6 10w-40 in the 2.5 gal at walmart and filters from lamonster.

Only issue I have seen is with colder weather (below 30 deg. f) if I don't let the spyder warm up first it will want to stall from taking off from a stop other than that no other issues.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I will be using T6 on my upcoming oil change. Glad I stocked up before shrink-flation rolled around.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Damn didn't realize I was replying to a 3 year old thread. Sorry.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

We have all done it at least once!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    Damn didn't realize I was replying to a 3 year old thread. Sorry.

you probably replied to the new post, then Peter merged them!!!! starting at #30
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rotella T6 5/40, I've not been able to find 10/40 or I would use it. I've often wondered if Rotella T5 blend 5/40 would be OK but haven't tried it. If I'm gonna get up under there and go through the motions, might as well go for the best. I've also thought about T6 15/40 since I live in FL and it gets hot. I'd like to quite that annoying 'clunk', but I don't think that's gonna happen. I know, as Peter says, "Ride more, think less", or something like that. After all, this is an 'oil thread', but I like oil threads. :-)

Spyder Garage

While many run and like Shell Rotella T6 I still remain a fan of the Mobil 10W40 Racing 4t motorcycle oil.

For comparison, Mobil 1 10W40 Racing 4t motorcycle oil is currently ranking at #136, essentially the #1 highest rated motorcycle oil acceptable for a 1330 Spyder engine and gearbox. The test data value came in at 93,661 psi.

Shell Rotella T6 5w40 ranked as #261 at 67,804 psi.

If there are other motorcycle capable oils, with an acceptable viscosity and wet clutch rated, they may be listed but I did not notice them.

Difficult blog to follow, but scroll down and the list of tested oils is long and impressive. No, not every oil is tested either.

Ultimately though, I understand how many of you must balance frugality as part of oil change costs. With that Shell Rotella T6 costs less, but is also a lesser quality oil. Makes no never mind what oil you run, simply sharing a very good and accurate, independent ratings test, by a qualified person.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/

Spyder Garage

Following threads on BITOG, Shell Rotella T6 5w40 has a reputation of quickly shearing down in shared sump bikes. Castrol Power 5w40 full syn also has a history of quicker than average shearing in shared sumps. Maybe that's a characteristic of 5W oils in motorcycle use? I get that people like Rotella T6 as it shows MA/MA2 rated on the jug, plus it can be had for $22/gallon from Wally world. That said, I have been a fan of both M1 10w40 4T and Amsoil 10w40 metric m/c oil for years and will continue using them. In fairness to Rotella T6, I have never heard of any oil related motor problems...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experience with Shell Rotella T6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I have been a fan of both M1 10w40 4T and Amsoil 10w40 metric m/c oil for years and will continue using them. In fairness to Rotella T6, I have never heard of any oil related motor problems...
    Amsoil 10w40 metric MC oil here also... To me it's worth the little bit extra $$
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Shell Rotella T6 5w40 has a reputation of quickly shearing down in shared sump bikes.
    I went with the T-6 10w-40 in the hopes that it would be more durable but with how cheap it is I am changing it out at every 5k instead of th 9.3 k recommended for the BRP XPS oil.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wheer are you finding Rotella T6 10/40? I'd love to use it but I can't find it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Wheer are you finding Rotella T6 10/40? I'd love to use it but I can't find it.
    According to Shells brochure, 10w40 is not offered, but 5w40 and 15w40 is.

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/prod...synthetic.html

Spyder Garage

I went with the T-6 10w-40 in the hopes that it would be more durable but with how cheap it is I am changing it out at every 5k instead of th 9.3 k recommended for the BRP XPS oil.

Yup .. according to Shell oil, Rotella T6 full syn is offered in 0w40, 5w40, 15w40 and 10w30 weights. I see no 10w40 blends in T4/T5/T6 oils.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yes, why they dumped the 10/40 is none of my business, but I continue to look for another brand I suppose, which might be Mobil One.. I had a wild thought of half T6 Rotella 5/40 and half T6 Rotella 15/40, but that could be a dumb thought.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    According to Shells brochure, 10w40 is not offered, but 5w40 and 15w40 is.

I just woke up and saw this and went out to the garage to verify and I think I found out why I am having the stalling issues in cold weather.

It's the 15w40, I could have sworn I saw 10w-40 when I bought it at walmart. LOL I think I need to go in for an "old man checkup" between this and me forgetting about the kill switch a couple of weeks ago is really making me question my state of mind right now.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Do we have anybody here who has had their Shell oil analyzed and is willing to share their findings with us? With an oil analysis of the XPS blended stuff proved to me that I never want to use this again. Virtually the viscosity was gone!
    Last edited by jjc54; 05-18-2024 at 07:41 AM.
    2016 Spyder RTL SE6

Spyder Garage

I just woke up and saw this and went out to the garage to verify and I think I found out why I am having the stalling issues in cold weather.

It's the 15w40, I could have sworn I saw 10w-40 when I bought it at walmart. LOL I think I need to go in for an "old man checkup" between this and me forgetting about the kill switch a couple of weeks ago is really making me question my state of mind right now.
    T-6 is a Full synthetic .... I don't think they will thicken in cold temps like a dino oil will ....JMHO ....Mike