Spyder Garage

Default Buying used - 2015 Spyder F3-S - is this milage/usage a concern?

I have found a 2015 Spyder F3-S SM6 for sale for a very reasonable price. It looks very clean, but it has 40k miles on it. I am a little but not overly concerned with the amount of miles it has. The owner says he has had it for 6 years and has only put on 5k miles in his time of ownership which is less than 1k miles a year, and that has me concerned. The Spyder is located about 4 hours away, so seeing it in person is difficult. It also hasn't really been ridden this year, and the recall(s) have not been done. According to the owner it has new tires, battery, and spark plugs.

My questions are:

1) should I just forget about it because of mileage and its relative lack of use over the last few years; and
    2) if it is something I should consider, what steps should I take to ensure it isn't a lemon?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    I have found a 2015 Spyder F3-S SM6 for sale for a very reasonable price. It looks very clean, but it has 40k miles on it. I am a little but not overly concerned with the amount of miles it has. The owner says he has had it for 6 years and has only put on 5k miles in his time of ownership which is less than 1k miles a year, and that has me concerned. The Spyder is located about 4 hours away, so seeing it in person is difficult. It also hasn't really been ridden this year, and the recall(s) have not been done. According to the owner it has new tires, battery, and spark plugs.

My questions are:

1) should I just forget about it because of mileage and its relative lack of use over the last few years; and
    2) if it is something I should consider, what steps should I take to ensure it isn't a lemon?
    I have over 80,000 miles on my 14 RT, which I bought and have DIY serviced since new - only 40,000 miles on a 1330 engine is nothing to be concerned about. You don't say how much they are asking, and that's important info as to whether it's priced right or not?! You should realize that most Spyders have the SE trans, so selling it could be an issue. That fact lowers what its' worth also. Good Luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 06:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have over 80,000 miles on my 14 RT, which I bought and have DIY serviced since new - only 40,000 miles on a 1330 engine is nothing to be concerned about. You don't say how much they are asking, and that's important info as to whether it's priced right or not?! You should realize that most Spyders have the SE trans, so selling it could be an issue. That fact lowers what its' worth also. Good Luck .... Mike
    I do know the manual is less desirable and harder to sell, but I also plan to keep it for a while. I'm not all that concerned with the 40k miles, but more concerned it has only had 5k put on it in the last 6 years.
    I didn't want to put the price on here as it might alert someone to a good deal, and they would snatch it out from under me; but it's $7k
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 06:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

You can ask if any codes have been thrown. But that takes an honest seller. Could also ask for VIN # to take to a dealer (if they would be so energetic to look it up) to see what has been reported and done for servicing.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2024 at 06:19 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I do know the manual is less desirable and harder to sell, but I also plan to keep it for a while. I'm not all that concerned with the 40k miles, but more concerned it has only had 5k put on it in the last 6 years.
    I didn't want to put the price on here as it might alert someone to a good deal, and they would snatch it out from under me; but it's $7k
    I would not be too concerned with 40k miles. As for it not being ridden too much in the last 6 years, that is common too. Lots of people think that is what they want, then life changes. And lastly, the price is not bad, in fact it is pretty good. The SE transmission was a $1500 Option; and that has consistently been about what the difference in price is. As for resale value, I have noticed that since the SM version isn't available anymore, people tend to actually like them. I would still prefer the SE model myself, but I wouldn't shy away from a good deal on an SM, since my first Spyder was a 2014 RT SM6. Good luck.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2024 at 09:29 AM.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I have the 2015 SM6 and the clutch was Very Tough to pull (a First Year thing). We joked back then that you have to be Pop Eye!? My dealer installed a factory update vacuum assist on the clutch and it's more like an RT now. I would not want it without the vacuum assist.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-20-2024 at 05:57 PM.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

The seller never provided the VIN, and it sold. So the search continues!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-20-2024 at 05:56 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The seller never provided the VIN, and it sold. So the search continues!
    Look at what "iMotorsports" (a site sponsor here) has - they will ship most Spyders for free .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-20-2024 at 05:55 PM.