Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Back to our different GPS maps: I try to have the latest version of Garmin maps on my Zumo at all times, because two GPS’s with different version maps can cause discrepancies, confusion, and grouchiness. Since Joe was covered up with buying/selling houses and moving to Springfield, I had made all the routes in Garmin Basecamp, but never checked to see if Joe’s maps were up to date…Hint #1.
    The second hint is a conversation we had prior to leaving:
    1. I would lead, since I had made the routes and had a general knowledge of where we were going;
    2. We agreed riding at “speed limit +5”, and our helmet comms would allow us to stay in touch, and we would keep within sight of each other.
    And so it was that we departed. Within the first hour, I noticed that Joe was dropping back more and more, so I asked if he was ok, and he said he was ok. A bit later, I couldn’t see Joe and couldn’t get him to answer on his helmet comms. Not wanting to think the worst, I slowed down a lot…but no Joe, so I pulled over and sat, hoping he’d show up rather than being transported to a hospital. (did I mention that it was July and HOT?)
    Joe finally came into view, so I pulled out onto the highway and asked him if he was ok. He said his gps told him to turn off, so he did, but couldn’t find me! I suggested again that he should stay in sight of me at all times, so that we could both make the same mistake or not. Then, I committed the sin of reminding him that we agreed that 5 over the speed limit was ok. He said “I just like to take it easy and see what’s around me”. I had to bite my tongue! We were on MO13, a 4 lane major highway, just burning up miles to get to the sightseeing areas! This was to become the new normal.

By the time we got to The Badlands, I’d learned that the leader of this ride doesn’t get to set the pace, it’s set by the guy who doesn’t want to lead. And so it was for the duration of this 12 day ride. Did it sour things? Not at all, once I learned how to forget everything I’d learned about group riding courtesy and adopt this new normal. We got back home still speaking to each other.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJohn View Post
    By the time we got to The Badlands, I’d learned that the leader of this ride doesn’t get to set the pace, it’s set by the guy who doesn’t want to lead. And so it was for the duration of this 12 day ride. Did it sour things? Not at all, once I learned how to forget everything I’d learned about group riding courtesy and adopt this new normal. We got back home still speaking to each other.
    I feel you on that "leader doesn't set the pace" thing. I have 2 great guys that I ride with. They both always want me to lead. But one of them always seem to drop back a bit too far. It usually isn't a problem, but sometimes it does cause the person behind him to get caught by the occasional stop light. I often ask is my pace ok, and always get that it is fine. The funny thing is that whenever he does lead, instead of the 5-10 over that I go, he will go a 10-15 over. Still wouldn't give them up for anything. I will continue to follow your ride.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white