Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Here is the new test for determining prostate cancer called PSE.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0207191546.htm

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Here is the new test for determining prostate cancer called PSE.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0207191546.htm
    Sure looks promising, doesn't it? Wonder how long it will be before it's widely available in the US. One year, 5 years, 10 years?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Great. As I stated earlier the detection and treatment of prostate cancer has progressed immensely since my surgery in 2018, especially the detection side. I know of at least three new prostate cancer scans that have been implemented each one better than the last. I hope this is true with all types of cancers.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Sure looks promising, doesn't it? Wonder how long it will be before it's widely available in the US. One year, 5 years, 10 years?
    I'm still trying to get past what your current dr. said and thinking other drs. may feel the same way even when or if the new PSE comes about, regarding people over 70, especially with comorbidities.
    Last edited by wyliec; 04-08-2023 at 03:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'm still trying to get past what your current dr. said and thinking other drs. may feel the same way even when or if the new PSE comes about, regarding people over 70, especially with comorbidities.
    Since every man is expected to develop prostate cancer to some degree, I think the focus will shift from "not if" to "how much" cancer may be present. If the test is positive, say at age 65, then it may be performed every two or three years and a judgment made about how fast it's growing. If the projection is that it won't be life threatening within, say, 15 years then periodic testing will probably the plan. If in two or three years, or less, it shows rapid growth, then treatment would be called for. I wonder if there is any good data showing what correlation there is in rate of growth versus morbidity. I'm guessing probably not.

I sent the link to the UK study to my doctor. It'll be interesting what he comes back with, if at all.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I trust you reviewed articles I link to in post #25. The only thing certain when it comes to determining the existence and extent of prostate cancer is that it is all shrouded in uncertainty. There's no question in my mind that my doctor reflects the general thinking, and experience, that is shared by the vast majority of the medical community at this time. He has always struck me as being pretty level headed and not one to chase all sorts of off the wall medical possibilities.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I was 54 yrs old I had a PSA level jump from 3 to 7 in a year. At 55 I was advised the cancer was aggressive and fast growing. It would not be so if I were 75. I went to another state and requested a second test. The results were the same. I had two biopsies performed at two separate locations using separate labs. The first one came in at 7 and the second at 6. I inquired as to why the difference between the biopsies. I was told the first biopsy actually removed a small chunk of cancer. Ok, I was good with that. What I wasn't good with was after all the seminars I'd attended I learned to follow the money and stay away from all the new upcoming procedures being touted by aggressive physicians. If you test positive or negative, don't risk your life on one or even two tests. Ask questions get tested several times and by all means, do your research. Don't pin yourself to only one diagnosis and one solution. I wish you all good luck long life and many many spyders yet to go.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 04-10-2023 at 08:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

Here's what my doc answered when I sent him the link.

That looks like an open coming test. I tried to see if I could order it in our system and do not have any option to do so. Looks like they are still in the pilot phase of testing so probably a few years before it becomes available commercially.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

This is the link I've been looking for:

https://www.webmd.com/prostate-cance...life-diagnosis

I like this link based on what they said: "When you and your doctor discuss diagnosis and treatment options, the focus should not only be on your chronologic age -- the number of years you’ve been alive -- but on what’s called your biologic age."

Spyder Garage

This is the link I've been looking for:

https://www.webmd.com/prostate-cance...life-diagnosis

I like this link based on what they said: "When you and your doctor discuss diagnosis and treatment options, the focus should not only be on your chronologic age -- the number of years you’ve been alive -- but on what’s called your biologic age."
    Very interesting. I think it would be reasonable to say calendar age is a good indicator of our probable biological age, but it sure isn't an absolute indicator.

This quote from the article highlights the reason the value of screening and treatment are so doubtful.

A 2008 study looked at more than 200,000 men with prostate cancer from ages 65 to 84. The researchers found that only men with the most advanced cases of prostate cancer were more likely to die of their cancer than another cause. Men in the study had a much greater chance of dying of heart failure than from late-stage prostate cancer.

If you’ve been diagnosed with prostate cancer, you should have a thorough discussion about the risks and benefits of watchful waiting or active surveillance with your doctor.

2014 Copper RTS