Hybrid View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    Did you end up mounting the Shad quick release mount plate to the LinQ adapter with screws? How did you position it and get it all squared up, level, etc.?

Very interested in seeing some detailed photos when you get around to it.

Nice job.
    I used the Nyloc nuts and bolts that were included w/the Shad box. They were meant to bolt the Shad quick release mount to any of the vehicle specific Shad mounting systems. The long bolts (they include (4) each long and short bolts) worked perfectly.

I centered it on the LinQ base then moved it forward/backward (with the box attached) until I decided where I wanted it. I wanted it all the way forward. I think RT101 may mount his farther back in order to utilize the BuRP backrest. I thought it might need a little tilt on the back but it didn't. I'll take another look at it once it's out of my garage. If it needs a bit of a tilt, I'll just add spacers and longer bolts to the rear of the Shad mount.

What do you want pics of? Anything specific?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    What do you want pics of? Anything specific?
    Pics of the Shad mount plate on the LinQ adapter and maybe some pics from a distance with the top case on the bike (back and sides)?

I don't have an immediate need for a top case now but based on your play by play, it sounds like a fairly easy install and inexpensive option vs the OEM - I might consider doing something like this when spring arrives.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pics of the Shad mount plate on the LinQ adapter and maybe some pics from a distance with the top case on the bike (back and sides)?

I don't have an immediate need for a top case now but based on your play by play, it sounds like a fairly easy install and inexpensive option vs the OEM - I might consider doing something like this when spring arrives.
    Here's the Shad mount on the LinQ mount. The cosmetic cover is on (this is what it looks like if you take the box off) but as you can see, I still need to cut out part of the circle so I can unlock the LinQ plate. I forgot to do that and I was tired.
    expanded rear.jpg

Here's the set up from the rear and side at it's smallest capacity.

And the same fully extended. (There's a middle position but I didn't take any pics of that.)

I think it looks kinda sporty in the smallest configuration and has about the same footprint as the OEM top box fully extended.

I rode about 2 hours this afternoon with the box in both the smallest and fully extended positions just to see if it would affect the wind. I couldn't tell it was back there unless I was looking in the mirrors. I'd say it's a success.

NOTE: It appears the SH59X (with the aluminum top cover) replaces the chrome reflectors with black parts. I think I'll buy those instead of trying to paint the chrome ones.

Spyder Garage

Here's the Shad mount on the LinQ mount. The cosmetic cover is on (this is what it looks like if you take the box off) but as you can see, I still need to cut out part of the circle so I can unlock the LinQ plate. I forgot to do that and I was tired.
    expanded rear.jpg

Here's the set up from the rear and side at it's smallest capacity.

And the same fully extended. (There's a middle position but I didn't take any pics of that.)

I think it looks kinda sporty in the smallest configuration and has about the same footprint as the OEM top box fully extended.

I rode about 2 hours this afternoon with the box in both the smallest and fully extended positions just to see if it would affect the wind. I couldn't tell it was back there unless I was looking in the mirrors. I'd say it's a success.

NOTE: It appears the SH59X (with the aluminum top cover) replaces the chrome reflectors with black parts. I think I'll buy those instead of trying to paint the chrome ones.
    Looks like the pics didn't come through - it says invalid attachment when I click on the link.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks like the pics didn't come through - it says invalid attachment when I click on the link.
    Hmmmm. They showed up originally but I don't see them now. Let's try again.

Smallest configuration.
    closed rear.jpgclosed side.jpg

Largest configuration.
    expanded rear.jpgexpanded side.jpg

Spyder Garage

Looks great Monk. I think I like the look better than the factory box.

Did you have some pics of how it mounts to the LinQ base?

Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks great Monk. I think I like the look better than the factory box.

Did you have some pics of how it mounts to the LinQ base?

Thanks.
    There are (3) tabs on the front (bottom) of the box that slip into those (3) holes in the mount. The rear just clips into that raised piece, rear center. There are (3) key positions, Lock, Unlock and Release. The 1st (2) are obvious. You can choose Lock or Unlock and remove the key. (Unlike Givi bags were you HAVE to unlock w/the key every time you want to open the box. Dumb idea, if you ask me, which you didn't.) If you turn the key to Release, the key stays in the box but then allows you to pull a lever at the rear of the case that releases the rear latch holding the box to the mount. Easier than it sounds. The only time I plan to remove the box will be if I want to remove the LinQ rack and reinstall the stock color matched cover.

If I didn't explain it well enough (and I might not have), let me know and I'll take a quick video of the process sometime this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Smallest configuration.
    closed rear.jpgclosed side.jpg

Largest configuration.
    expanded rear.jpgexpanded side.jpg
    Wow! That looks great. This is making it harder and harder for me to resist taking the leap onto a newer RT model. I have prewarned the wife that the temptation is strong, so who knows what will happen next.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Wow! That looks great. This is making it harder and harder for me to resist taking the leap onto a newer RT model. I have prewarned the wife that the temptation is strong, so who knows what will happen next.
    Thanks. It doesn't have the same get up and go as your F3 but a flash would take care of that. I love this thing. I'm not usually one to keep any vehicle very long but barring a lottery win, I'll probably keep this until the next generation comes out. There are still a few things I want/need to do (more rear lighting, real tires, paint trunk, foot pegs, maybe floorboard lights?).

I think I'm addicted. Every time I install one thing, I think "Now, I need THIS other thing". I got the Pedal Commander (which is awesome, by the way). Now, I want the ECM reflashed although I'll wait on that until after the 3k mile service. I've long since run out of money but my addiction still runs wild. It's a sickness.