Spyder Garage

Default Front Turn Signal Housing

I am trying to add a custom LED turn signals to the mirrors but not able to route the wires behind the mirrors into the housing area. Anyone knows how to take the mirror housing apart?

I have 2016 RT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
    I am trying to add a custom LED turn signals to the mirrors but not able to route the wires behind the mirrors into the housing area. Anyone knows how to take the mirror housing apart? I have 2016 RT.
    I installed TricLED's mirror turn signals so I know what you're talking about. I can't find their instructions, but as I remember it, the two halves of the mirror pop apart quite easily.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I installed TricLED's mirror turn signals so I know what you're talking about. I can't find their instructions, but as I remember it, the two halves of the mirror pop apart quite easily.
    No they DON'T .....BRP designed them to be assembled ..... but not dis-assembled .... I've had my RT stripped down to the frame a couple of times, so I think I'm pretty handy ...... I took the mirror apart once and have regretted doing it ... It didn't go back together like it was when I started ....... Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT mirrors

I am trying to add a custom LED turn signals to the mirrors but not able to route the wires behind the mirrors into the housing area. Anyone knows how to take the mirror housing apart?

I have 2016 RT.
    I did exactly what you are trying to do ..... I put a 6 LED strip on the bottom edge of my mirrors ..... I didn't take it apart to do this ..... you must take the mirror assembly off ( look in your manual for the proper way to do it ) ....Un-plug the wiring .... decide where your LED's are going then drill a small hole ( 1/8th" ) in the corner where the strip starts .... fish the wires thru into the cavity where your OEM wires are ..... splice the new wires onto the wires on the mirror side ... this way you don't have another connection to deal with when you take off the mirror ....re-connect the wiring plug and put the mirror back on ..... since you using the OEM blinker system , your new LED's will work the same as the outside blinker ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I did exactly what you are trying to do ..... I put a 6 LED strip on the bottom edge of my mirrors ..... I didn't take it apart to do this ..... you must take the mirror assembly off ( look in your manual for the proper way to do it ) ....Un-plug the wiring .... decide where your LED's are going then drill a small hole ( 1/8th" ) in the corner where the strip starts .... fish the wires thru into the cavity where your OEM wires are ..... splice the new wires onto the wires on the mirror side ... this way you don't have another connection to deal with when you take off the mirror ....re-connect the wiring plug and put the mirror back on ..... since you using the OEM blinker system , your new LED's will work the same as the outside blinker ..... Mike
    Mike is right on the money. That is exactly how I did mine. Works great & really easy to do. While you have the mirrors of, you might consider springing for the "Magic Mirror" mounts. Roadster Renovations & Lamonster Garage sell them. Easy install, & they work great.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Good advise...

I would add one thing some have had problems with the LED's. They are polar sensetive and you need to make sure the ground and power wires are matched. Some kits have great instruction but DIY with online strips don't always mention this.. before you wrap it up plug them in and test them....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can take the mirrors apart. Heck BRP even sells a chrome upgrade for the top half. It's all held together with locking tabs.
    No hole drilling is needed. That's the lazy way

If you are on Facebook I have the instructions here for the top half which is all you need to remove to run wires.

https://www.facebook.com/download/pr...81360015376725

And for full take apart (which you do not need to do) I have a video on youtube.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    You can take the mirrors apart. Heck BRP even sells a chrome upgrade for the top half. It's all held together with locking tabs.
    No hole drilling is needed. That's the lazy way

If you are on Facebook I have the instructions here for the top half which is all you need to remove to run wires.

https://www.facebook.com/download/pr...81360015376725

And for full take apart (which you do not need to do) I have a video on youtube.

Bob
    Sorry, I am one of the odd people who doesn't have a FB account. Can you send it via email?

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Everyone should be aware that if you break one of these mirrors, which is easy to do if you go as far as Bob did. They are convex shaped and you will have to buy the complete mirror assembly to replace it. BRP price is $198.00, this comes without the top cover (some are chrome and some are color coded so I guess that is the reason). I wanted to put the led behind the mirror but found it to be too difficult so I opted to put a led strip on the outermost side of the mirrors and drilled a small hole to route the wire. The top half of the assembly will pop apart, just be delicate. Works and looks great as long as you purchase a good bright waterproof led strip. Have no problem seeing that the turn signal is on and bright enough that they can be seen from vehicles behind you.

Spyder Garage

I have 2016 RT.
    Go to the TricLED website. They may have a video on that installation and they will have instructions in a PDF

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ransman View Post
    Everyone should be aware that if you break one of these mirrors, which is easy to do if you go as far as Bob did. They are convex shaped and you will have to buy the complete mirror assembly to replace it. BRP price is $198.00, this comes without the top cover (some are chrome and some are color coded so I guess that is the reason). I wanted to put the led behind the mirror but found it to be too difficult so I opted to put a led strip on the outermost side of the mirrors and drilled a small hole to route the wire. The top half of the assembly will pop apart, just be delicate. Works and looks great as long as you purchase a good bright waterproof led strip. Have no problem seeing that the turn signal is on and bright enough that they can be seen from vehicles behind you.
    Sorry that is not true. Did you see my video on how to purchase a car mirror with the same curvature and get it cut to fit at a glass cutter?

So no you do not have to buy the entire housing.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black