Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake Update

yThursday I posted about the parking brake on my 2016 RTL not releasing and having to undo the cable for the rear in order to ride it home. I call Coleman Powersports in Woodbridge VA. about an hour from me. I got an answering machine when I call the service department I left a message for them to call me, at about 6 pm I received a call and explained the situation and fully expected I would have to wait to get on the schedule. Craig the guy who called me back asked If I could bring it in on Saturday (today) so I took it out there this morning. They took it right in and found the switch to be faulty. I also told them that since I bought the bike in May I have had this kind of weird whining noise when going say between 15 and 20 mph, they found that the dealer I purchased the bike from had overtightened the belt by a lot and that the rear sprocket was not clocked right (not sure what that meant) but regardless they stated it was wrong and needed to be fixed. So the warranty will cover the switch.

And I'll eat $121.00 for the belt and sprocket to be fixed, as the dealer I bought the bike from in Leesburg VA is horrible and I'm sure would not fix their mistake.

Thank You Coleman Powersports for a timely and great customer service.
    Last edited by Chasinsparks; 10-01-2017 at 11:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Did you ever take any good closeup pics of the Rear wheel and tire, from the belt side? What they meant was that the drive sprocket fits into the rear wheel with some tabs that sit between some rubber shock absorbing pucks, the spokes on the drive sprocket are supposed to line up with the spokes on the wheel, but the drive sprocket can be installed with them not lined up. DAMHIKT....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks for the explanation, I planned to get an understanding when I picked the bike up but again thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Did you ever take any good closeup pics of the Rear wheel and tire, from the belt side? What they meant was that the drive sprocket fits into the rear wheel with some tabs that sit between some rubber shock absorbing pucks, the spokes on the drive sprocket are supposed to line up with the spokes on the wheel, but the drive sprocket can be installed with them not lined up. DAMHIKT....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank you...

's for getting back with these issues you got resolved. We like to know so we can help others but not to often do we find out. It is great you found this great dealer and I would hang on to him...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE THANK YOU POST

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    's for getting back with these issues you got resolved. We like to know so we can help others but not to often do we find out. It is great you found this great dealer and I would hang on to him...
    x's ...TEN ..........I too find it dis-maying the number of members here who either never come back AFTER asking for Help ... or have no clue about the Thanks key .......... just MHO .........Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    glad you have a good service dept that pays attention to detail.

WELL, had mine apart for bearings and tires a few weeks ago. just glanced out and I see that my sprocket and wheel spokes are not lined up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    glad you have a good service dept that pays attention to detail.

WELL, had mine apart for bearings and tires a few weeks ago. just glanced out and I see that my sprocket and wheel spokes are not lined up.

It's not a big deal. It does make checking and putting air into the rear tire much more difficult. Mine came that way too and was put right by me when I changed out the rear tire. Any noises should not result from clocking, it would have to be something else. Like a misalignment or over tightening of the belt.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Like KX said getting the sprocket "off" to the spokes shouldn't cause issues,

Like KX said getting the sprocket spokes off and not aligned to the wheel spokes is mainly an aesthetics issue and just makes is harder to get to the air valve and check regularly. Another 2014 RT SE6 ryder on our trip to the Red Rocks rally got a new Kumho installed by the dealer, and we saw that the sprocket was "mis-clocked" so to speak. Some-one just got in a hurry, but check out your situation to see that the belt tracking and the quick belt tension check of twisting the belt meets your comfort level. Doesn't hurt to check the bike over after a service to see that everything is back together right
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default Correct

Correct the noise was from the belt being so tight that rubber from the belt (not just dust) is all over the engine that was the noise, the sprocket was just an additional find

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    It's not a big deal. It does make checking and putting air into the rear tire much more difficult. Mine came that way too and was put right by me when I changed out the rear tire. Any noises should not result from clocking, it would have to be something else. Like a misalignment or over tightening of the belt.

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    ... the dealer I purchased the bike from had overtightened the belt by a lot and that the rear sprocket was not clocked right (not sure what that meant) but regardless they stated it was wrong and needed to be fixed. So the warranty will cover the switch.

And I'll eat $121.00 for the belt and sprocket to be fixed, as the dealer I bought the bike from in Leesburg VA is horrible and I'm sure would not fix their mistake.

Thank You Coleman Powersports for a timely and great customer service.
    Thank God for good dealers. My original dealer must have attended training with your dealer. Now, much better, but I had to move far away. J

Spyder Garage

Default Me too

Yeah the new dealer is two hours on a good traffic day oneway :O) but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by JNorthStar View Post
    Thank God for good dealers. My original dealer must have attended training with your dealer. Now, much better, but I had to move far away. J

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I find it really odd that the sprocket wasn't properly clocked from the factory. We see this a lot but only when people have had their rear tire changed, I've never seen it on a Spyder with the original tire.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I find it really odd that the sprocket wasn't properly clocked from the factory. We see this a lot but only when people have had their rear tire changed, I've never seen it on a Spyder with the original tire.
    I was thinking the same thing Ann.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Kind of

I'm sure it was clocked correctly from the factory, the dealer I purchased the bike from added the chrome rear wheel along with a bunch of other upgrades to make it look pretty on the showroom floor.

QUOTE=SpyderAnn01;1305496]I find it really odd that the sprocket wasn't properly clocked from the factory. We see this a lot but only when people have had their rear tire changed, I've never seen it on a Spyder with the original tire.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Chasinsparks; 10-01-2017 at 11:14 PM.

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Another dealer

Have you tried Motosports in Hanover, PA?? It takes me less than an hour to get there from Catonsville. I have been extremely satisfied with their service and pricing.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

I received great service from Coleman’s Falls Church location. That should be a bit closer to you. Or is all CanAm service handled in Woodbridge?

CC