Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    YOU don't pay sales tax multiple times. You pay it only once, when you first buy the vehicle and sometimes not at all (if, like AZ, you buy it from a private party and not a commercial business).
    For other than Florida I can't say it is still true, but it was when I was there: in South Carolina and Georgia, you didn't pay sales tax every year but you did pay property tax annually on your vehicle just like you do on your house. In Idaho you don't pay sales tax on a vehicle you brought in from another state even if they don't have a sales tax (this doesn't apply to a vehicle you had in another country that you bought when stationed there). Texas and Florida will only charge the difference on a vehicle you import if you paid less tax where you bought it than what you would have paid if it was bought in their state.

In SC, military non-SC residents didn't pay the vehicle property tax, but if one of the spouses was a civilian you had to pay half the tax. So unless it was a dual military couple, vehicles that had been jointly owned in the past became owned just by the military member when transferred to SC.
    2017 RT Limited

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you look at taxes as just the cost of living in the greatest Country in the World: it helps a little bit...

...A very little bit!

There was a time, long, long ago when I would have agreed with the statement "greatest country in the world". Not any longer. We have some major fixin' to do.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you look at taxes as just the cost of living in the greatest Country in the World: it helps a little bit...

...A very little bit!

But it does. I have lived here all my life, I still have not seen all of the different ecosystems this state has to offer, and I have paid the taxes all of my life so I don't know anything else. I had hoped that all of the taxes would keep people out! That hasn't worked either. So I will pay the cost to live in the most beautiful of the lower 48!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

YOU don't pay sales tax multiple times. You pay it only once, when you first buy the vehicle and sometimes not at all (if, like AZ, you buy it from a private party and not a commercial business).
    Not in NJ

Spyder Garage

There may be some confusion here.
    For instance, in Connecticut, you only pay SALES tax once when you buy your vehicle.
    Then annually, including the first year of ownership you pay personal PROPERTY tax.
    See the difference ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by msherwood View Post
    I recently got my 2013 RT registered in Ca. I must say it was an adventure getting an out of state spyder registered in Ca. They nearly took me out in handcuffs when the idiot told me I did not have a Motorcycle license. I told him none was needed in California. After going back and forth and speaking with management I finally got my tags and temporary plates. After what they charged me for transfer, tags and taxes a person wonders why California has a money problem?

fact-if-you-write-i-have-awful-people-skills-and-8233.jpg
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    For instance, in Connecticut, you only pay SALES tax once when you buy your vehicle.
    Then annually, including the first year of ownership you pay personal PROPERTY tax.
    See the difference ?
    Exactly the same in California!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Dmv

The people at DMV's attitude is I'm here 8 hours a day and you want me to work too.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Last year when we came back from New York after buying our Spyder, my wife and I stopped at the DMV at the town next to ours. We walked in with our sale papers and paid $25 sales tax for buying an out of state vehicle, paid $47 for our plate and sticker and walked out in less than 10 minutes with everything we needed. We also were treated very politely and had to answer some questions about our Spyder. The questions were out of curiosity because they could see it on the trailer in the parking lot. VERY nice people and experience.

I went to another DMV in another town a couple of weeks earlier to get my license after completing the MSF class. Walked in at their busy time and took a number. Waited maybe five minutes to get called, then handed them my completion card, got my picture taken, was asked if any info had changed and had my new license in about three minutes and it cost me, I believe, $10.

Illinois still does a few things right. It also helps to live in an area with a smaller population. We may not have all of the latest and greatest when it comes to some things and we may have to drive a ways to do our shopping but it's worth EVERY bit of it to live where life is a little bit more slow paced!!!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    See the difference ?
    I think some of us here are commenting on different views toward taxes and it's getting mucked up.
    Maybe because each state has different ways of collecting taxes and may call it something different. Sales, property, use taxes.

Of course YOU don't pay tax more than once on your vehicle. But every past and future owner(buyer) gets to pay the state tax each time it's sold/bought. So my state gets 7.5% of a vehicle's value every time.

See the difference?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    I think some of us here are commenting on different views toward taxes and it's getting mucked up.
    Maybe because each state has different ways of collecting taxes and may call it something different. Sales, property, use taxes.

Of course YOU don't pay tax more than once on your vehicle. But every past and future owner(buyer) gets to pay the state tax each time it's sold/bought. So my state gets 7.5% of a vehicle's value every time.

See the difference?
    Regardless of the method--their gonna gettcha.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There was a time, long, long ago when I would have agreed with the statement "greatest country in the world". Not any longer. We have some major fixin' to do.
    So where would you go?

...If you were given the choice!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 09-06-2017 at 01:29 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

So California's DMV sucks...
    Please tell me about one, that doesn't!
    The one in St George Utah.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

So where would you go?

Canada or New Zealand (and they are second only because they don't have hockey)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well now that the secret is out...

on having one of the good ones!

Spyder Garage

Default My alma matter------

So where would you go?

I'd go back to my alma matter ---------- UM-------University of Mars.

I'll bet their DMV isn't crowded.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

So California's DMV sucks...
    Please tell me about one, that doesn't!
    Here in East Tennessee I can walk in just about any time the DMV is open (with the exception of around lunch time the last day of the month. And I may have to wait 5 minutes to get to one of the 3 windows. But usually I walk right up to an open window.

The DMV I went to in California had 52 windows. And if you did not have an appointment you could count on a 1-2 hour wait.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Come on Ron....ya gotta learn how to play the game!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Canada or New Zealand (and they are second only because they don't have hockey)
    You could get a job with their Border Patrol...

Canadian Border Patrol.jpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'd know a Mountie when I see one and that's no Mountie!

Spyder Garage

Default not a MC in Ca

I'm visiting Ca from Tx and have used the HOV lane, am I breaking the law? Why is the Spyder not a motorcycle? Are Honda or Harley three wheeler not motorcycles?
    Tks Allen R

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allensr View Post
    I'm visiting Ca from Tx and have used the HOV lane, am I breaking the law? Why is the Spyder not a motorcycle? Are Honda or Harley three wheeler not motorcycles?
    Tks Allen R
    Give a call to the Highway Patrol and ask an officer for an opinion. They would be the ones to pull you over if they felt you were illegal.

Spyder Garage

Default Nopee

Quote Originally Posted by Allensr View Post
    Tks Allen R
    Nope you are perfectly legal in the HOV lane in California! Enjoy the ryde! We drive it all the time!

Spyder Garage

That Moose riding Border Patrol is only found in Canada Bob!

In New Zealand their Border Patrol rides Kiwi's (small flightless birds that lay bloody ginormous eggs - you really don't wanta argue with anything that can survive pooping out such a bloody large thing! ) & here in Orstrailya the Border Patrol either rides Drop Bears (savagely carniverous Cousins of Koala's that really don't like any bloody Furriners as well as people who don't eat vegemite & so drop on them outta the trees at every opportunity) or 'bare-foot water ski-ing Kangaroos' - their big feet make them vastly more maneuverable at speed so that's how we Patrol the vast coastline we've got here!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2017 at 01:24 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd know a Mountie when I see one and that's no Mountie!
    He's undercover...