Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: road maps

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default road maps

Who is still using good old fashion road maps for their travels? I would think using gps all the time would take a lot of the adventure out of the ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    Who is still using good old fashion road maps for their travels? I would think using gps all the time would take a lot of the adventure out of the ride.
    GPS now and GPS till I'm dead. I used paper maps till a few years ago saying "adventure" but when I went to the dark side and used my first GPS I was hooked. In short.....what difference does it make if you are looking at dead trees vs plastic? My thoughts

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Use both. When the GPS becomes annoying or tries to turn me into a ditch, I get the paper out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We still carry paper maps and I like to refer to them in the evening during long trips. I find it helps keep things in proportion and perspective. I also like to plan trips with paper maps because they give me the bigger picture. We do carry a GPS and I do find them helpful going through busy cities for getting in the correct lanes and knowing where to turn.

GPS can also get people in a world of trouble and there have been a number of documented cases where people have gone where the GPS/smart phone has told them only to end up lost, stuck, out of gas and a number of other possible bad out comes. If they had looked at a paper map they wouldn't have in some cases died.

I like to keep a set of paper maps at home solely for the purpose of marking every road we have been on in the states and provinces that we have visited. Kind of a hobby I guess but it is fun to look at them periodically as a way to remember roads traveled. DSCN3952.jpgDSCN3958.jpg

Gary

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like to plan on paper or the iMap app. But it's GPS when I ryde.

Spyder Garage

^^Same here^^ I like to pick a destination, then use the GPS to get there. I like to route my own route on the computer, then load it into the Garmin.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I use paper,Inlike.to.see the big picture versus the small scale of GPS. I do use GPS in cities.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    Use both. When the GPS becomes annoying or tries to turn me into a ditch, I get the paper out.
    Like toilet paper?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The GPS is my main gun, and paper maps are safely stored in the frunk as back-ups; ready to be pulled out, and never folded properly again!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

For finding a specific address the gps is hard to beat. I use it in my truck for my work. I cover a good portion of the state of West Virginia doing damage appraisals. But so far haven't found a need for it on the bike. Of course I haven't been riding through New York city or anything either. Might use gps on our trip to Tennessee in June for the rally. Then again might not. thanks for all the insight.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I have but one thing to say....

The Big Picture.......always carry paper maps they don't need batteries or electric connections etc. I also carry in the frunk a gps and have used it occasionally. What I always used was the tripkit from AAA just flip the page as you finished that leg with a fold out for big cities...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I agree! I use GPS to get to hotels and Restaurant on I'm near my destination. But my Navigator and my road trips are pick a direction not destination and it's nice spreading out a map on the hotel bed and pick the next days ride
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
    I agree! I use GPS to get to hotels and Restaurant on I'm near my destination. But my Navigator and my road trips are pick a direction not destination and it's nice spreading out a map on the hotel bed and pick the next days ride
    For the most part, I just ride off and I usually can figure my way back. When Pebbles rides with me, she tells me when to turn. She doesnt have a clue where we are going and either do I. She knows ill get us home no problem. Very seldom have a destination in mind. Of course, we do the same thing when in my truck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

GPS works great for directions, but I still have a Rand McNally trucker's atlas for the "what's nearby where I am?" trip planning.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Paper maps. I fold them up a certain way, and tuck them under my sheepskin. Sitting on them keeps them in place. Every now and then, I pull over, stand up slightly on the floorboards, and pull out the map. Yes, it's a bit rough on the maps, but they're free at most Interstate rest stops.

None of my bikes have GPS. IMO, GPS tells you you are lost, with great precision. I don't want to now where I am -- I want to know where I'm going.

Besides -- I'm retired. If I get lost following a map, so what? I've got time to figure out how to get back on course.

I can -- and have -- wasted a lot of time poring over a Rand McNally road atlas of the US, state by state.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I carry a smart phone with Google Maps, a GPS and paper maps. Counting on GPS alone can get you in some sticky situations.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default mmmm it is a bit clunky !

hahahaha it is a bit larger than a map , but it gets us there ! kind of rough under the seat too ...

Spyder Garage

We never use GPS. The few times we did it sent us the long way around and that with the GPS set on shortest route. Mostly, we just wing it and don't use anything. You see the best stuff when you get lost.

Spyder Garage

I always have a good collection of road maps with me on my travels.

Get them free from CAA/AAA. Also use their Tour Books for accommodation.

Despite that, I'm on the hunt for a reasonably priced used Zumo.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Default maps

Still go the old fashioned way, paper map, gps is ok in highly populated areas but prefer the paper when traveling cross country. Switched back after the gps insisted I turn right well, in less than fifty feet I knew someone had entered the wrong data and turned around and checked the paper.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    We never use GPS. The few times we did it sent us the long way around and that with the GPS set on shortest route. Mostly, we just wing it and don't use anything. You see the best stuff when you get lost.
    Lots of fun when you are in an area you don't know, have no unpaved roads selected, and end up on a 13 mile gravel road in rural New Brunswick.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Bought at least 2, maybe 3 GPS and have given all away

Yep bring me a real map and I'm like ohhhhhh so nice. Kinda like how I prefer my books (and I love to read)...give me a real page to turn. Have a kindle...but it will never wear out..seldom gets used.

I invested this winter in a set of Butler Maps and whole new experience. Fellow SL prairiespyder mentioned a brand Mad Maps and they look pretty nice also. Can seriously say I was led astray...aka LOST more by the GPS than by my own sense of adventure. Now I will turn on the Iphone when I get into a metropolitan area and looking for a particular address..like coffee shops!!! Yep maps all the way...

Spyder Garage

Use GPS with paper maps as daily referral and backup

Spyder Garage

Rand McNally Road Atlas has been my friend through the years. Have never used or owned a GPS. I like the thrill of the hunt, imagining what the road will be like, etc.

When I want to get specific, I buy one of the many travel books for each state to get further information.

I usually end up with enough information so that I am in overkill mode.

It all works for me.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-02-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Rand McNally Road Atlas has been my friend through the years. Have never used or owned a GPS. I like the thrill of the hunt, imagining what the road will be like, etc.

When I want to get specific, I by one of the many travel books for each state to get further information.

I usually end up with enough information so that I am in overkill mode.

It all works for me.
    But Alaska only has 3 roads, anyway!