Thread: spring trip

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default spring trip

two of us are planning a trip at the end of April. We will spend April 24th in Cuba Missouri, then down to Memphis for 1 to 2 days. What would be the MUST SEE areas here? Also going next to Nashville, same thing here for 2 days. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Is the American Pickers worth seeing down there? I should mention that we are from Minnesota. We do a lot of traveling every summer, and really looking forward to this trip in your area.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Wagon Wheel in Cuba is a Route 66 motel. The rooms have all been remodeled.

Spyder Garage

Memphis is a great time, you must hit Beale St. Take the tour of Gibson Guitar and Sun Studio. Also Memphis is quite dangerous more than a block or so from Beale. Free bus from Beale to Sun, do not walk. You can pick up the bus just across the street from Gibson. I start on Beale around 11AM and head back, ah, late.

Graceland can also be reached by the same bus or take the Spyder, safe parking. An hour and a half south on highway 61 is the Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale MS. Well worth the trip and across the street is the Ground Zero Blues Club. As in highway 49 & 61 is ground zero for the blues. Have you ever heard of the Crossroads? That's 49 & 61 where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil for guitar greatness. Or so they say. Head a bit further south or due east then pick up the Natchez Trace to Nashville. All of the Trace is nice if you have the time.

Staying near on or Beale is very expensive. I use the airport Best Western then take a cab back and forth. They have a fenced in parking lot. The desk will hook you up. Then just phone the driver when you're ready to leave.

Around 15 years ago I rode back to the motel from Graceland after dark. The junkies were out driving around. Stop signs and traffic lights were suggestions. Never again. Now I hire a ride.

Oh yeah, you need more time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARD II View Post
    Memphis is a great time, you must hit Beale St. Take the tour of Gibson Guitar and Sun Studio. Also Memphis is quite dangerous more than a block or so from Beale. Free bus from Beale to Sun, do not walk. You can pick up the bus just across the street from Gibson. I start on Beale around 11AM and head back, ah, late.

Graceland can also be reached by the same bus or take the Spyder, safe parking. An hour and a half south on highway 61 is the Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale MS. Well worth the trip and across the street is the Ground Zero Blues Club. As in highway 49 & 61 is ground zero for the blues. Have you ever heard of the Crossroads? That's 49 & 61 where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil for guitar greatness. Or so they say. Head a bit further south or due east then pick up the Natchez Trace to Nashville. All of the Trace is nice if you have the time.

Staying near on or Beale is very expensive. I use the airport Best Western then take a cab back and forth. They have a fenced in parking lot. The desk will hook you up. Then just phone the driver when you're ready to leave.

Around 15 years ago I rode back to the motel from Graceland after dark. The junkies were out driving around. Stop signs and traffic lights were suggestions. Never again. Now I hire a ride.

Oh yeah, you need more time.
    It you head south from Memphis on Hwy 61, check out the Shack Up Inn near Clarksdale, MS

Spyder Garage

If you are not pressed for time you may want to consider riding from Memphis over to Tupelo MS (birthplace of Elvis is there also) and catching the Natchez Trace Parkway from Tupelo to Nashville. That is a beautiful ride and several scenic and historic markers. While in Memphis for the evening I highly recommend one evening pulling up a chair at Silky O'Sullivans Dueling piano bar on Beale street they are very entertaining see link below.

http://www.silkyosullivans.com/

https://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm
    Last edited by Spyder601; 02-08-2017 at 01:06 AM.
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    two of us are planning a trip at the end of April. We will spend April 24th in Cuba Missouri, then down to Memphis for 1 to 2 days. What would be the MUST SEE areas here? Also going next to Nashville, same thing here for 2 days. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Is the American Pickers worth seeing down there? I should mention that we are from Minnesota. We do a lot of traveling every summer, and really looking forward to this trip in your area.
    Not my area but I can share. Only 2days each limits the fun (take some notes & come back, catch what you missed) Memphis & Nashville have plenty to see & enjoy in history & general fun& good food, Beal street Memphis offers more if you walk it (beware the pan handlers tho)& visit the local shops &whatnot, Grand Ol Opry mall Nashville was fun for a mall ,some hidden gems if you look for them, but time your trip to catch Spyderfest in Springfield! That is the MUST SEE Event & plenty other distraction sights & rydes Enjoy

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights