Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Am I the only one?

1. Often when manually cancelling the indicators I end up indicating to the opposite side. There is no apparent friction or detent to provide some resistance to the sideways movement of the switch, or to make it easier to hit the cancel setting. Even when trying very carefully to cancel it ends up indicating again in probably one out of every 5 attempts. With warning lights so dim that they can be difficult to see in some conditions I'm often ryding with indicators blinking.

2. When lifting my thumb to change up one gear I often end up brushing the down switch with my forefinger, so changing down instead of changing up. There is a small rubber wiper on the edge of the glove index finger which presumably is part of the problem. But again it seems far too easy to activate the switches, with very little friction or detent to discourage unintended switching.

3. It's not uncommon to see the variants "ryder" and "ryde" in the forums. But I have yet to see anyone from the USA calling the black rubber hoops "tyres" instead of "tires". On the other syde, maybe I just haven't been reading enough tyre threads.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HOW TO CANCEL

Don't try to shut it off by reversing ....... you need to just press straight in, this will cancel it ........ Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by artig View Post
    1. Often when manually cancelling the indicators I end up indicating to the opposite side. There is no apparent friction or detent to provide some resistance to the sideways movement of the switch, or to make it easier to hit the cancel setting. Even when trying very carefully to cancel it ends up indicating again in probably one out of every 5 attempts. With warning lights so dim that they can be difficult to see in some conditions I'm often ryding with indicators blinking.

2. When lifting my thumb to change up one gear I often end up brushing the down switch with my forefinger, so changing down instead of changing up. There is a small rubber wiper on the edge of the glove index finger which presumably is part of the problem. But again it seems far too easy to activate the switches, with very little friction or detent to discourage unintended switching.

3. It's not uncommon to see the variants "ryder" and "ryde" in the forums. But I have yet to see anyone from the USA calling the black rubber hoops "tyres" instead of "tires". On the other syde, maybe I just haven't been reading enough tyre threads.
    1. No, you are not the only one, but it sounds like you have it happen more often than most. Maybe the solution would be to wear more flexible gloves. The indicator switch is centered by a spring, but it's fairly light. It just takes practice to get the push in, not sideways, motion perfected to turn off the blinkers. The alternative is not worry about it and get used to having them stay on for about 30 seconds until the automatic cancel turns them off.

2. The paddle switch is sensitive. Here again, you might consider different gloves. About the only time I shift down when I intend to shift up is when my brain sends the wrong command to my fingers and I inadvertently push the down shift side.

3. The "y" version of ryde and ryder comes from a desire to mimic the y spelling of Spyder. So don't be mistaken. It's not a tip of the hat to the Queen's way of spelling. We're not that internationally minded! A tire is inanimate so it just doesn't warrant the consideration we give to the human aspect of ryde and ryder. But you will agree that we Yanks don't correct your spelling of tyre, since it is a correct variation, like we do with 'break' and 'brake.'

When I lived in England for a year back in 1989 and worked in a Ministry of Defence office I'd get a kick out of telling the Brits that I could understand why they mispronounced "aluminum" as "aluminium" since they spelled it that way. But, "left tenant" out of "l i e u ...." At that point they would start laughing along with me! (Using 'c' instead of 's' is another interesting difference between English and English.)

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

No, you're not the only one with indicator issues. (Most BMW and Mercedes drivers seem to have them).My big hands in 3xl gloves do it all the time, although it IS lessening. I have modified Lamont's running/indicator leds on the mirrors to only indicate (no amber running lights), and it is now very easy to see if my thumb has wandered too far. It's a pretty simple mod.....I believe that Tricled have the LED indicator strips with harness, or just tap in to the indicator cables with posi taps or something similar and stick your own leds somewhere on the mirrors or dash.

I am not experiencing any shifting issue. (Apart from "shape shifting" as I get older)

Americans can't spell proper

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

why would you need to cancel? my is self cancel! And if you need to cancel manually, like mike said, just push it in! IT WORKS!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lou49 View Post
    why would you need to cancel? my is self cancel! And if you need to cancel manually, like mike said, just push it in! IT WORKS!
    Really, Lou? So when you change lanes on the freeway your indicators self cancel? You must have a very special model.....
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Don't try to shut it off by reversing ....... you need to just press straight in, this will cancel it ........ Mike
    Yeah, but it's a fine line, Mike.......I am getting better at it, but it takes a while.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

It would be nice if BRP would make the cancel an "up" motion on the button in the center position, instead of push in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the same problem even when riding bare handed, but it is increased when wearing gloves. Some switches may be more sensitive then others or some people less precise.
    2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    It would be nice if BRP would make the cancel an "up" motion on the button in the center position, instead of push in.

Every motorcycle I have ever owned has been push in for cancel, why would you want something that is second nature to most riders to be changed?

As far as downshifting, I keep all fingers on the grip and just my thumb moves for upshifting, never had a problem with accidental downshifting unless as stated above, my brain sends the wrong command and I screw up....that has happened a time or two.
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 11-23-2016 at 07:33 AM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Really, Lou? So when you change lanes on the freeway your indicators self cancel? You must have a very special model.....

Mine self cancels after 30 secs when moving. If I am stopped at a light, the counter appears to stop until I start moving again.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Every motorcycle I have ever owned has been push in for cancel, why would you want something that is second nature to most riders to be changed?
    Yes, with the exception of Harley and BMW.

At any rate, the Spyder switch is not normal in my experience. It moves with nearly no feel to it. You move left or right and it is not a positive clicking action, same with the cancel function. I have been riding for 30+ years and I have issues with the stupid switch. It should click when moved or canceled. Small pain, but made me put LEDs on the mirrors, because you can't see the turn signal indicators on the dash in the sunlight.

No issues with the shift switches for me or my wife, other than she tends to push too hard and hold it down instead of light push and immediate release. This results in frustration when trying to get it into reverse.

Ryde is specific to the Spyder forum, I assume because they spell Spider with a Y.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ride More Worry Less.jpg

More time spent in the saddle; will help you to work out the "kinks"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Ride More Worry Less.jpg

More time spent in the saddle; will help you to work out the "kinks"...
    A BIG +1 and Happy Thanks giving!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The turn signal issue is just a matter of experience, with these grips and set up, i am certain with time it will be resolved for you. I know that I used to beep the horn while trying to block and blink when I wanted high beam or other such things, mileage solves many issues.

As for the shifting issue I would suggest foam handle covers, I got mine from Tricled, a site sponsor, ?12 per pair or two pair for $20. This solved MANY issues for me. I also offer this thought. Do NOT make the mistake of keeping your fingers on the triggers, that is a disaster waiting to happen. This is on of the first things they teach at weapons training school. It sounds like you have thumb on one and finger on the other, change your habit and change to larger foam grips, this will place your fingers closer without resting on the paddles.

your third topic about the "y" is much more difficult. Others addressed it from the Kings English perspective, too dangerous for me. This topic could be myred in controversy for a long tyme and it could tyre us all to the point of exhaustion. I had fun using the Ryde, ryding and Byke phrases but only in fun. The entyre topic could bring this syte down with it while myred in dyred consequensences that most of us do not know or understand. How far can we take this? Nobody knows. Welcome to the Twilight Zone.

Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    your third topic about the "y" is much more difficult.... Welcome to the Twilight Zone.
    You did mean to say "Twylyght Zone"; right?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

When first came out there was much ado about the "Y" factor. It had to do with the wheel configuration and safety issues in comparison to the standard version of trikes.

Many of us picked up and started using the term "ryde" instead of ride--as it applied to our machine. I got over it before to long.

I still call the front trunk a frunk though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Mine self cancels after 30 secs when moving. If I am stopped at a light, the counter appears to stop until I start moving again.
    So you are happy to leave your indicator running for 30 seconds after you change lanes on the freeway, Grandpot? Sorry, but I don't want a b-double thinking I am turning at the next exit just because my indicator is still on from my last lane change.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

So you are happy to leave your indicator running for 30 seconds after you change lanes on the freeway,....
    Hey Pete, did you know that here in Aus, besides copping a B-Double up the clacker, you could also score a ticket for letting your indicator self-cancel!!

For everyone else, here in Aus, leaving your indicator on for anything more than 300 metres after completing a turn or lane change is a ticketable offence; & lots of us here frequently ryde on roads where the speed limit is just a little faster than 60kph, which I seem to recall means you're travelling at about 16.666 m/sec or pretty much covering 500 metres every 30 seconds!! That means (if I did me sums right?!) that you take about 6 seconds for every 100 metres you cover when you are doing 60kph or about 37 mph....

Soooo.... if you indicate for about 6 seconds before commencing your lane change, do you then take more than 6 seconds to complete said lane change?? If you do it in any less time you are risking a ticket every time you lane change & allow the indicator to self cancel!?! Bearing in mind of course, that as soon as you are travelling any faster than 60 kph you're stuffed & ticket bait anyway, cos you'll waaay exceed that 300metre allowance every time!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-23-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Not happy

So you are happy to leave your indicator running for 30 seconds after you change lanes on the freeway, Grandpot? Sorry, but I don't want a b-double thinking I am turning at the next exit just because my indicator is still on from my last lane change.
    Pete: I don't let my signals self cancel. I just said they WILL cancel after 30 secs when moving. Pushing down in the center position of the indicator lever cancels mine every time.

Regards,

Keith
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default Made me laugh

The title made me think of this song when I first saw it. Rodney Carrington...... he is hilarious!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9hUiKU9rlRE

Spyder Garage

For the turn signal, do not try and push in till you feel a detent or click, a light tap straight in cancels the signal. It feels like nothing is being accomplished but it shuts off every time.

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem, I went with the Signal Indicators in the mirrors from Muth Mirror company, best thing I've done to my Spyder

Spyder Garage

I also agree that the switchgear should have distinct detentes. I also agree that it's not a big deal if you ride the Spyder exclusively, but if you switch back and forth among other bikes in the stable it gets annoying.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Pete: I don't let my signals self cancel. I just said they WILL cancel after 30 secs when moving. Pushing down in the center position of the indicator lever cancels mine every time.

Regards,

Keith
    Yeah, I'm sure it will come with time, Keith........I think half the problem is the Vision had a "hold it to the left or right for >1 second and it will self cancel when you release it", so you could be quite forceful. Once my hands start matching my delicate personality, it will all fall into place .....in the meantime, thank goodness for mirror leds.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.