Spyder Garage

Default Question for Spyder ryders in Washington state

I am considering a ride in two weeks (last week of September) that would take me from Burlington (north of Seattle) to Newport (Idaho border).

My question is can I take the scenic Washington state highway 20 (North Cascades Highway) this late in the season, or should I instead take U.S. 2 across to Newport?

Or, are both routes kind of maybe at this time of year? It looks like the northern route on 20 has a higher mountain pass than what US 2 does.

Looking for advice from Spyder ryders in Washington if this is a stupid idea the last week of September, or can I watch the daily weather and go for it?

I just don't know if I can squeak through on 20 or should take 2, or forget it for this year. Thanks in advance.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Go for it....

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    I am considering a ride in two weeks (last week of September) that would take me from Burlington (north of Seattle) to Newport (Idaho border).

My question is can I take the scenic Washington state highway 20 (North Cascades Highway) this late in the season, or should I instead take U.S. 2 across to Newport?

Or, are both routes kind of maybe at this time of year? It looks like the northern route on 20 has a higher mountain pass than what US 2 does.

Looking for advice from Spyder ryders in Washington if this is a stupid idea the last week of September, or can I watch the daily weather and go for it?

I just don't know if I can squeak through on 20 or should take 2, or forget it for this year. Thanks in advance.
    It will be a little chilly on top,, but as soon as you drop down the hill it will start warming up and be realllllly nice when you hit Winthrop/Twist area...I absolutely would have no hesitation in traveling N. Cascades thru end of October...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take lots of pictures for us, and have a GREAT time!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Pictures.....

regardless of which way you go...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    It will be a little chilly on top,, but as soon as you drop down the hill it will start warming up and be realllllly nice when you hit Winthrop/Twist area...I absolutely would have no hesitation in traveling N. Cascades thru end of October...
    Should be a great ride but have a warm coat. Watch the weather reports, take pictures and have a great time. It's only a couple or three hours from Burlington to Winthrop and a world class view from the summit East.

Spyder Garage

Default Mountain passes

The state of Wash has cameras on their website for all the passes and roads. Also you can call 511 for info but I'm pretty sure that only works while in the state. www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/camera.aspx
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL