Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

We looked at a well priced used ST and one pull of the clutch sent us looking elsewhere.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

After owning 2 suzuki M109s, and knowing how hard they sometimes shift, I was convinced that I wanted a semi auto. But after driving a friends 2014 RT SM6, I realized that it shifted much nicer than any twin, and most of my 4 cyl. bikes. I couldn't justify paying an additional $1500 for more that could go wrong.
    I have since driven a F3T and fell in love with the SE6. I would be happy either way.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

A manual will sell just fine to someone who wants a manual 😎

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Guess I am Redneck

If I want an automatic, I will drive her car. I ride the twisties a lot, and I do not want a missed electronic shift. It's just old me, so ya'll don't get your panties in a wad!

Spyder Garage

Have a 2011 RT semi-automatic. Instantly liking it. No problem going back to a manual shift on my Honda ST1300PA. Got on a friend spider with a manual and had to think about it all the time

Spyder Garage

I have stopped thinking of it as a semi automatic. I look at mine as a paddle shifter,up or down, I just don't need to pull a clutch lever before I push the button. I get faster more positive shifts My first big bikes were all hand shift,then foot shift and now button shift Progress,time marches on.BTW I have never found neutral hard to find.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Semi auto Great! No hand lever. Just push the paddle and off you go..NO down shifting unless you want to..
    So at this point in the replies trikermutha I'm curious as to how the downshift is performed? Is the paddle shift just pressed in the same manner it is to up shift?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    Manual for me, but I feel a bit outnumbered lol.
    You're not wrong there Brian

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

SE-6 for me. I think it was the 3rd stop ligh that I decided that I didn't care if I ever saw a manual clutch again.
    For you purists, I'm sure the SM is better.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco068 View Post
    So at this point in the replies trikermutha I'm curious as to how the downshift is performed? Is the paddle shift just pressed in the same manner it is to up shift?

Downshift can be performed by pressing the brake pedal and RPM's or use the paddle to downshift if needed.

Spyder Garage

Downshift can be performed by pressing the brake pedal and RPM's or use the paddle to downshift if wanted.
    Fixed that for you trikermutha!

In fact, I'd go so far as to say the SE is exactly like the manual except that you use the flappy paddles instead of a clutch & gear lever, so you can't fluff a gear change...... cos in reality, it IS the same gearbox only with an auto shift grafted on top. Oh, & it will also change down for you if you forget!

Over the last 50 odd years, I've driven pretty much everything that's got wheels, tracks, or skis, & can honestly say I don't regret the passing of the manual clutch. Long live the (semi-auto or auto) King!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RS sm5 and my wife has a 2013 STS se5. I like my clutch but felt I could go with either. When taking mine in for its 14,000 mile service the dealer gave me an RT se to use. They had mine for a few days waiting for parts and I got used to the paddle shift but after getting mine back realized how much I missed my clutch. So I'm not ready to give my manual shift up quite yet. I guess I'll have a decision to make when it's time to upgrade!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I think everything has been addressed here but I will throw in anyway. The SE6 is not an automatic as you must do the upshifts. It will downshift for you but as others have stated I always downshift mine myself. It will make a big difference in resale and you will have a much larger buyer pool but I don't buy based on resale value, I buy what suits me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thus the reason why they call semi auto??

Spyder Garage

Thus the reason why they call semi auto??
    Some were calling it an automatic so I clarified. Even semi-auto doesn't tell you what it does and doesn't do.

Spyder Garage

When you guys get older, like me, you'll most likely prefer the semi-auto.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
    When you guys get older, like me, you'll most likely prefer the semi-auto.
    John, You ain't old. I graduated from HS 4 years earlier in 1967 which makes me 67 years-young. I still prefer manually shifting my trikes but can see the distinct advantages and utility of the semi-auto Spyders. If I spent much time in local traffic which I do not, I would definitely not like the clutch handle pressure necessary to operate my 2015 F3-S and would either get the hydraulic clutch assist or go to semi-auto.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    Two words: resale value.
    Exactly what I was thinking when I saw this thread. Manuals just don't sell well here in the UK. There are 2 manual F3s for sale on Ebay which aren't selling, both would have gone in no time if they were auto. I need the auto (no left leg) but wouldn't have bought a manual either way.

It's the market these are being sold to, mostly non-bike people. They won't want to be bothered learning a m/c shift if they've never driven a bike before.

The semi-auto gearbox was a genius idea by BRP and I'm sure it's the overriding factor why the Spyder has been successful. Would have stayed a niche product without it.

Spyder Garage

I have had 8 operations on my left knee since 2007. If it was not for the SE6 on my F3-S I could not ride. I miss going through the gears with a manual transmission and a clutch. My previous bikes were all manual and every vehicle I had ever owed up until my last vehicle were all stick shift. The SE6 is a great transmission and I enjoy driving it any chance I get.
    I used to think it was a terrible thing that life was so unfair. Then I thought, "what if life was fair, and all of the terrible things that happen to us came because we really deserved them?" Now I take great comfort in the general unfairness and hostility of the universe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madmartigan View Post
    I have had 8 operations on my left knee since 2007. If it was not for the SE6 on my F3-S I could not ride. I miss going through the gears with a manual transmission and a clutch. My previous bikes were all manual and every vehicle I had ever owed up until my last vehicle were all stick shift. The SE6 is a great transmission and I enjoy driving it any chance I get.
    Madmartigan, I just had to share with you that I read the saying about the fairness of life in your posts subscript to my wife and she and I got a great chuckle. I know that many of us, including myself, have migrated to trikes for various reasons related to physical health issues and it is wonderful that the BRP trike products are so accommodating of our various maladies or needs.

Like yourself, I am so used to using a manual transmission on bikes that I went for a SM6 F3-S. My dealer mentioned that an upside to the purchase was that there were less "moving parts" when it came to shifting with the manual and that potentially there was less maintenance in my future? However, I have not heard of any significant transmission problems with the SE6's so I am not sure if that is much of a concern?

I owned a Suzuki Burgman 650 for a short time and although it was very fast and the automatic/semi-auto transmission was incredibly smooth and shifted quickly, I too missed shifting and did not keep that scooter for long. As I have gotten older, my preferred automobile is to have an automatic where I don't have to think about shifting and just enjoy the ride so I think it is safe to say that manual/semi-auto is truly all good!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
    My dealer mentioned that an upside to the purchase was that there were less "moving parts" when it came to shifting with the manual and that potentially there was less maintenance in my future? However, I have not heard of any significant transmission problems with the SE6's so I am not sure if that is much of a concern?
    I would say the SM6 is less likely to develop a fault as there is less stuff involved in changing gear, so the dealer was steering you right. The SE6 could develop a fault anywhere from the switch, to the wiring, to the ECU, to the actuator etc. That's not to say it will, but it does have a lot more that could go wrong.

Spyder Garage

Default Yes Me Too

Quote Originally Posted by joebryanjr View Post
    SE-6 for me. I think it was the 3rd stop ligh that I decided that I didn't care if I ever saw a manual clutch again.
    For you purists, I'm sure the SM is better.

Spyder Garage

SM6 here. With my other vehicles being automatic or direct drive, I have a need for a toy that I can clutch, shift, etc. Plus less parts to potentially break as others have mentioned. I love being able to control more of the experience.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    I would say the SM6 is less likely to develop a fault as there is less stuff involved in changing gear, so the dealer was steering you right. The SE6 could develop a fault anywhere from the switch, to the wiring, to the ECU, to the actuator etc. That's not to say it will, but it does have a lot more that could go wrong.
    We can apply your theory with the human body as well. I developed a nerve (wiring) problem in my back causing a fault in my actuator (foot) making me unable to operate the switch (foot gear lever) on a motorcycle. My ECU (brain) functions normally though. I went in for repairs in May, but I still have foot drop and weakness of my left foot. Helllllllllllllo automatic transmission!
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
    We can apply your theory with the human body as well. I developed a nerve (wiring) problem in my back causing a fault in my actuator (foot) making me unable to operate the switch (foot gear lever) on a motorcycle. My ECU (brain) functions normally though. I went in for repairs in May, but I still have foot drop and weakness of my left foot. Helllllllllllllo automatic transmission!
    Did your manufacturer issue a TSB for these problems; or is a total recall necessary?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black