Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Manual Or Semi-Auto?

Hey folks I'd just like to get an idea of how many of you stuck with a manual shift as opposed to the semi-auto. Those of you that changed to the semi-auto did you find it strange, and how long did it take you to become accustom to it??

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I went with manual fewer electronic parts to worry about and I don't ride in town much if I did I might consider semi only complaint it's sometimes hard to find neutral

Spyder Garage

I think its really neat. I really liked it in Denver when we had to go through the town to get to the mountains. Lots of stop and go.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Love our SE-5! I said yes to the auto for my wife.............very glad I did!

Spyder Garage

I have a '14 RT Limited with semi auto and it is great! I love the easy use and it takes the worry out of lots of things when you are driving.

Don

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i live in metro ny, semi is the only way for me to go

Spyder Garage

Went with the semi-auto, and now, I'll never go back. Downshifting when you want some engine braking or more power is instantaneous. So much easier, especially on a long trip or in heavy traffic.

I got stuck on I-81, between Scranton PA and Wlikes-Barre PA, once - the "perfect storm" of rush hour and construction. It took me over an hour to go 11 miles. I was really thankful to have that paddle shifter!

Technology continues to improve - I, for one, have no problem taking advantage of that fact.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Went with the semi auto after seeing the drag time's at Spyder fest a few years ago much faster than manual. Wife has had a semi auto RT for 4 years never any trouble with it. And after 47 years of shifting two wheel bikes it was no time to adjust to it. I have a 2015 F3S very happy with it. Good luck Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Semi auto Great! No hand lever. Just push the paddle and off you go..NO down shifting unless you want to..

Spyder Garage

I like the semi auto but I tend to do a good deal of down shifting on my own to keep the feel... Either is cool.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Semi-auto here! I really like the paddle shifter and the auto down shift. When I ride my two wheeler I have to think about shifting!!
    2015 RT Limited Red
    2017 Harley Street Glide

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco068 View Post
    Hey folks I'd just like to get an idea of how many of you stuck with a manual shift as opposed to the semi-auto. Those of you that changed to the semi-auto did you find it strange, and how long did it take you to become accustom to it??
    I had the same ? when I decided to get a Spyder. Part of ridin all these years was the shifting. Then I thought how mad I get when stuck in traffic (never ending shifting) or being extra careful when the road is wet or on a gravel road and I said go for the semi automatic. At first when I had to stop I kinda panicked grabbing for the clutch and foot brake (still do once in a while --gonna get a wider foot brake pedal). Well I never looked back and love it for these reasons and all the others members have given here. Check out my ?'s in the begining-- http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...30#post1072930.

Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default I'm in....

Manual....that's how I get my exercise...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Discussing "Manual versus Semi-Auto"; is like discussing "Blondes versus Brunettes versus Redheads."

The only correct answer is simply, "YES!"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Went with manual on my 2016 F3 T. Was nor ready to give the clutch up yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I love my semi auto. It took a bit for me to not go for the clutch and foot gear. Or roll off the throttle.
    They are so fun to ride!
    Pam
    2015 ST L , Denim - matte

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Being stuck in rush hour traffic with lots of stop and go with my 2 wheel manual bike, I thought how nice it would to not have to keep using the clutch lever with man hand getting tired. For that reason I bought the auto for my F3s. I have loved riding it and shifting by button. Now after my accident I don't know how I will be with just walking. I do know that since it is my left foot/ankle that was crushed, I don't have to worry about the shift lever like on my other bike. That being said, the SE6 may be my only option for riding again.

Spyder Garage

Manual for me, but I feel a bit outnumbered lol.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Semi Auto is great, especially in traffic like so many others have said. Came off a HD Ultra. Took me about 150 miles to remember not to roll off the throttle. Got used to the rest of it by the time I hit 4-500 miles.

Spyder Garage

Semi-Auto for me, also better value when you are ready to trade it in.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

My first (08) was a manual. They did not have semi auto up here until the next year--and I bought one of those for the spouse.

Lots of pros and cons--but it will boil down to what you like. I did not miss the manual once we had the semi auto. It made shifting a bit less "mechanical."

Cost: an extra $1,500. You will get that back on trade in value.

Repairs: they say there is more to fix with a semi. Have not experienced that here.

Out of 5 total 's I have had four semi and one manual.

If there is a number 6, it will also be a semi-auto.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've always been considered "Shiftless", instead of "Shifty": I guess that that explains MY preference!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We chose the semi auto for my wife because the hand clutch was just way too stiff on the ST for her to handle if we got stuck in traffic. Even I thought it was awfully hard to pull in the clutch.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Having had both,,, I personally prefer the manual by a bunch..

Spyder Garage

Two words: resale value.

Eventually you will likely want to upgrade to some newer Spyder or other motorcycle and if you count the number semi vs. manual choices in this thread you will see the overwhelming majority go for the semi. I have seen many great Spyders sit for a long time on the for sale list because they were manual shift.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller