Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default CANBus (Confused And Nullified By Unknown Systems)

I've noticed a lot of electronic woes have been experienced by Spyder owners who have added electronic devices, whether BRP or other aftermarket, to their bikes.

CANBus systems have been in use in high-end German cars for over 30 years. They are basically set up so that components communicate with each other wirelessly, and Bosch designed them with all the neat Kraut goodies in place. I wonder if cruise control, GPS navigation systems, and other electronic aftermarket doodads could be interfering with the Spyder's area network signals and produced flawed information and thereby bad performance.

Has anyone NOT added any such electronic options and had electrically-related issues?

I've installed an O2 eliminator which just bypasses a sensor and I figured would not impact the system. So far I have had NO issues of any kind other than more or less successfully "tuning" the EFI for the Hindle muffler and the Evoluzione air filter. I've been leery of installing even the BRP fog lights for concern of disrupting the system.

Like the man said, "A paranoid is just a man with all the FACTS!"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Denzer View Post

CANBus systems have been in use in high-end German cars for over 30 years. They are basically set up so that components communicate with each other wirelessly,
    I don't think it's a "wireless" system but it does use less wires.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

We've had the BRP foglights since delivery in March 2008...no problems whatsoever. We also have several accessories tied in through a switched auxiliary power buss, and some NMN and Hyperlite auxiliary lighting. No faults ever reported on the display. Most folks who have experienced electronics problems had something that caused noise on the CANBus system...bad gear position sensor, bad HID ballast, etc. One other problem that seems to occurred frequently is one of cascading alarms when a single fault triggers messages. Makes it hard to sort out the real problem until you limp into the dealer.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

I have not added any electronics or electrics to my bik eand have never had a fault or failure. knock on wood. Reading of others woes makes me glad I have left that alone.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    I don't think it's a "wireless" system but it does use less wires.
    Bingo. The "bus" is the main wiring harness where all signals travel to/from the various devices and sensors. Nothing wireless there.

From an electronics perspective, you are MAINLY safe running all accessories through a separate fuse box. I use a relay to turn my fuse box on... ignition only.... and ACC#3 is that "switch".

I could see where, even isolated, some devices could cause magnetic interference with the system, though. See my link below... I think I have almost everything except an electrical cruise control.

Spyder Garage

I've added tons of electronic items and have had zero problems.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    We've had the BRP foglights since delivery in March 2008...no problems whatsoever. We also have several accessories tied in through a switched auxiliary power buss, and some NMN and Hyperlite auxiliary lighting. No faults ever reported on the display. Most folks who have experienced electronics problems had something that caused noise on the CANBus system...bad gear position sensor, bad HID ballast, etc. One other problem that seems to occurred frequently is one of cascading alarms when a single fault triggers messages. Makes it hard to sort out the real problem until you limp into the dealer.
    -Scotty
    +1
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Denzer View Post
    I've noticed a lot of electronic woes have been experienced by Spyder owners who have added electronic devices, whether BRP or other aftermarket, to their bikes.

CANBus systems have been in use in high-end German cars for over 30 years. They are basically set up so that components communicate with each other wirelessly, and Bosch designed them with all the neat Kraut goodies in place. I wonder if cruise control, GPS navigation systems, and other electronic aftermarket doodads could be interfering with the Spyder's area network signals and produced flawed information and thereby bad performance.

Has anyone NOT added any such electronic options and had electrically-related issues?

"
    yes i have had the shifting issues quite a few times and have added no electronic accessories....

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Only have the fog lights that came with delivery of the . I had an amp for my stereo which I no longer use but the amp is still there. Also put in wiring for the Gerbing jacket but that's it and no problems at all. (knock on wood cuz I don't trust it after hearing everyone else's problems!)