Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Mexican gasoline

Has anybody crossed the border on their Spyder further than a tank of gas?
    After 8 years of not going to Mexico for cartel fear we went a few weeks ago, never saw anything out of the ordinary.
    We drove a ford f150, no problems but the moment we put Mexican gas in it it lost half of its power! and looks like the further south you go the worse it gets.
    Now for the kicker, today is our 24th wedding anniversary and in exactly one year on our 25th my wife wants to get married again
    in Mexico it is a tradition to renew the vows at 25, 50 and if you are extremely lucky at 75 years of marriage.
    She wants to do it in style and have a caravan of Spyders, so far 4 and motorcycles, so far 6, i think it would give the town where everybody knows everybody plenty to talk about for the next few years.
    Now back to the gas issue, i am afraid that the low quality gas will mess the very sensitive computer management of the Spyder and we may have to limp back home 1500 miles, trying to prevent a good thing going bad, any toughts?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BAD GAS ??????

...Laura " beadaholic " ( forum name ) lives in Mexico and in the boonies to boot, and She has never reported any issues with Her 14 RT.........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Not on the Spyder

It was back in 2006 on a 2004 BMW F650GS when I went into Mexico with a bunch of other riders on the same and similar bikes. We went to places like Casas Grandes, Creel, Hermosillo and such. So really a bunch of nice small little towns.

I have to admit we weren't really checking MPG, but I don't recall noticing any significant drop. We were also all carrying some small jerri-cans of extra fuel because we never knew how far it was going to be between fuel stops.

Now that BMW doesn't have near the computer that the CanAM does, but it too was fuel injection and had no issue.

If I were to go again today, I'd bring something like Stabil to add to the fuel just for a little extra protection.

Spyder Garage

Just so long as the fuel doesn't have too much 'bio stuff' in it, the computer will drop performance to keep everything as safe as it can - which is why you saw it end up reducing the power output....

Once you get back to running 'proper' fuel, it might take running a few tanks-full to get it back to normal, but they rarely need more than 4 or so tanks.

Still, it pay to change the fuel filter as soon as you get home.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't help about the fuel, but to you and the Mrs!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I can't help about the fuel, but to you and the Mrs!!
    Thank you!! Looking for another 25 at least

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Just so long as the fuel doesn't have too much 'bio stuff' in it, the computer will drop performance to keep everything as safe as it can - which is why you saw it end up reducing the power output....

Once you get back to running 'proper' fuel, it might take running a few tanks-full to get it back to normal, but they rarely need more than 4 or so tanks.

Still, it pay to change the fuel filter as soon as you get home.
    Thanks, that makes me feel better, i think the Mexican gas is very close to raw oil, and extremely expensive too!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Possibly you may have picked up gas that may have had water in it, from condensation. Try some Sea Foam gas treatment or Dry Gas which has methanol in it and will dissipate the water. I hope it is nothing serious for your truck, of course you could try driving a Chevy truck instead!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    Possibly you may have picked up gas that may have had water in it, from condensation. Try some Sea Foam gas treatment or Dry Gas which has methanol in it and will dissipate the water. I hope it is nothing serious for your truck, of course you could try driving a Chevy truck instead!
    Truck starting running better once i put American gas in it, i have a Chevy also but it keeps breaking

Spyder Garage

Lot's of driving time in Mexico. Never noticed any difference in Motorhome, Truck, Car or Motorcycles. Must be a hex "el Chapo" put on ya!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They say that you "shouldn't drink the waster", either...
    on all of those years of wedded bliss!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Lot's of driving time in Mexico. Never noticed any difference in Motorhome, Truck, Car or Motorcycles. Must be a hex "el Chapo" put on ya!

Jack
    Thats why i had him captured,,,,again,,,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican View Post

Now back to the gas issue, i am afraid that the low quality gas will mess the very sensitive computer management of the Spyder and we may have to limp back home 1500 miles, trying to prevent a good thing going bad, any toughts?
    Are you sure that you didn't stop at a septic tank, and get some of that biomass energy?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Are you sure that you didn't stop at a septic tank, and get some of that biomass energy?
    Hope not

Spyder Garage

Happy Anniversary! Good luck with the gas... Stability sounds like a good plan.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Happy anniversary. Thats a good start! My bride and I will do our 64th this may.

Spyder Garage

Maybe some octane booster would be a good idea?
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default LIving in the border

ANd crossing the last 8 years back and forth in Baja with Spyder (2009 and 2103 ST), SUV and Minivan as well as other sedan I will say you just had the wrong Gas station (very common)

Make sure to charge at "chain" gas stations as those are less likely to add water or give you less gas than what the pump is displaying

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zavalza View Post
    ANd crossing the last 8 years back and forth in Baja with Spyder (2009 and 2103 ST), SUV and Minivan as well as other sedan I will say you just had the wrong Gas station (very common)

Make sure to charge at "chain" gas stations as those are less likely to add water or give you less gas than what the pump is displaying
    In Mexico you have only one choice, Pemex, i guess i hit more than one bad gas station since the truck ran crapy the entire lenght, from around Monterrey on our way south to almost San Antonio, after the second tank of American gas i started to see improvement.
    When i lived in Anaheim i used to ride my motorcycle to Ensenada every weekend, that was back in the late 80s great road following the ocean