Spyder Garage

Default Anyone done na RTS LH switch housing replacement?

I'm almost 100% confident that between these awesome forum insights and some troubleshooting my turn signal problem/light problem = a new LH switch housing/harness install on my 2011 RTS. Has anyone done this job themselves? The new housing is about $400, and the labor estimates I've read about on here range from 2-4 hours. I'm a fairly solid wrench turner and more worried the dealer will mess up other things or mods I've done if I let them at it. Gotta beleive the biggest issue is potential having to unwrap a crap load wire harnesses to find where the factory plugs hook to cluster and who knows what and where else, as there are three factory connectors on the end of the housing wire run.

If only I'd been blessed (just kidding) for Finless to have this problem. Then I'd have another awesome one of his videos to follow. Which reminds me, love his Cali style wrenching in bare feet.

Appreciate in in advance any insights or help. May take my first shot at giving back to this awesome place (video wise) if I end up taking this on.

Thanks, Jon

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
    I'm almost 100% confident that between these awesome forum insights and some troubleshooting my turn signal problem/light problem = a new LH switch housing/harness install on my 2011 RTS. Has anyone done this job themselves? The new housing is about $400, and the labor estimates I've read about on here range from 2-4 hours. I'm a fairly solid wrench turner and more worried the dealer will mess up other things or mods I've done if I let them at it. Gotta beleive the biggest issue is potential having to unwrap a crap load wire harnesses to find where the factory plugs hook to cluster and who knows what and where else, as there are three factory connectors on the end of the housing wire run.

If only I'd been blessed (just kidding) for Finless to have this problem. Then I'd have another awesome one of his videos to follow. Which reminds me, love his Cali style wrenching in bare feet.

Appreciate in in advance any insights or help. May take my first shot at giving back to this awesome place (video wise) if I end up taking this on.

Thanks, Jon
    What sort of problem are you having? The LH switch assembly is a digital processor, not an ordinary switch.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I responded to you in your other thread you created.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    What sort of problem are you having? The LH switch assembly is a digital processor, not an ordinary switch.
    Started having left turn switch not turn on turn signal lights. It would take multiple attempts. Right side is fine. Then left signal started coming on when I press the switch in (normally the cancel function). Getting harder and harder to get left turn signal to come on. Now pretty much only when you press the switch straight In. Then yesterday, when I did get it to come on all the left side lights (I've added several LEDs tied into turn signal) started doing the rapid flash drill. The right side, is still working fine. I checked all the lights using emergency switch and both sides blink at the correct rate. So, I know it's not a resister gone bad on the left side causeing the rapid blink. Based on the problems I'm having with the switch itself and what I've researched on here of others with same similar issue, all signs seem to point to the switch being bad which equals switch LH switch assembly replacement surgery !

I'm certainly open to to other ideas or troubleshooting if you've got better/different perspective on what the problem could be.

Appreciate you you weighing in.

Jon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
    Started having left turn switch not turn on turn signal lights. It would take multiple attempts. Right side is fine. Then left signal started coming on when I press the switch in (normally the cancel function). Getting harder and harder to get left turn signal to come on. Now pretty much only when you press the switch straight In. Then yesterday, when I did get it to come on all the left side lights (I've added several LEDs tied into turn signal) started doing the rapid flash drill. The right side, is still working fine. I checked all the lights using emergency switch and both sides blink at the correct rate. So, I know it's not a resister gone bad on the left side causeing the rapid blink. Based on the problems I'm having with the switch itself and what I've researched on here of others with same similar issue, all signs seem to point to the switch being bad which equals switch LH switch assembly replacement surgery !

I'm certainly open to to other ideas or troubleshooting if you've got better/different perspective on what the problem could be.

Appreciate you you weighing in.

Jon
    From your description I would tend to agree with your assessment that the turn signal switch is faulty and needs replacing. The fast blink speed has nothing to do with the switch.

P.S. Since the switch is likely junk anyway. Stick a hose from WD 40 spray can past the rubber seal on the switch and shoot a bunch in. This works well for a sticking switch. maybe this too.
    Last edited by billybovine; 11-22-2015 at 12:20 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED