Spyder Garage

Default Biketoberfest and new mods

First a little disclaimer, I wasn't sure where to post this, General, RT Touring, or Mods, as I met some really nice folks at Spyder Comfort yesterday during Biketoberfest who asked me to post my opinion of how I liked the mods I had done. So, I'm posting here in hopes the they see my humble opinions.

First, Mike Loescher did a minor touch up of the Laser alignment I had done a couple of weeks ago, atta boy to him for standing behind his work. And just for general knowledge, he says his alignments are guaranteed for life unless you wreck your trike or something like that. He also installed my BajaRon's swaybar set up and SmoothSpyder's belt tensioner. Here's my take:

I've only had my 2015 RTL 4 weeks now and from what I've learned, some of the 15's, out of the factory (or dealer) are on the money as far as alignment goes. Unfortunately, or maybe that should be fortunately because I got to meet Mike and his wife Chrystal (not to mention everyone I shook hands with yesterday) my Spyder wanted to wander all over the road when it was given to me by the dealer. Now it goes down the road, straight as an arrow, and I can even take my hands off the bars at 70 mph and it still tracks like an arrow.

The BajaRons sway bar now allows my Spyder to goe around a turn pretty much flat with very little leaning. It isn't pushed around the road by a passing semi truck, or errant gust of wind. I'm very satisfies and can not say enough about the customer service I got while trying to decide if this is what I really wanted to do. Ron is a wealth of knowledge, and he has a couple of more items that are going to find their way to my trike.

The belt tensioner from Smooth Spyder, did exactly what I had hoped for, and while not completely eliminating the belt vibration I was getting around 4,000 rpm, about where I ride on the interstates, it has moved it to a higher rpm range, which I normally don't get to, and the vibration that remains, is now muted enough where I don't eveh think about it.

These first three mods, have made my RTL what it should have been to start with, and my 150 mile ride home last night, while later than planned due to having a lite dinner with a great group fo folks in Edgewater Florida, was really very, very nice and completely differ than the ride down.

Another thing I had down was I got rid of the catalytic converter, thanks to Spyder Attitude, for a much more reasonable price than I was anticipating. It only took about 30 minutes not counting the run and rest time it took to allow the computer to reset it's self to the new numbers, and while I got a little bit of sound increase, I wouldn't say it's louder, just sounds a little throatier and that is only during acceleration. Cruising you just here a quite purr, oh yeah, I kept the stock RT muffler. Seat of the pants say it's really quite a bit peppier, and I'm told I should see and increase in gas mileage also.

And last but not least, are my new lights from Spyderliter, Fred Reese. The man really knows his business and has a nice selection of lights to put on your ride. My big disappointment was finding out that the mud flap (I live on a dirt road) I installed was in the way of getting an LED American flag that is just beautiful, and bright enough to be seen at high noon, and really catches your eye at night. Meeting him and his wife Ann were a bonus and part of the group that my wife and I had supper with that didn't end until 9:00 o'clock.

It seems that the mods are addictive once you start, and besides running out of time (ours was the last trike finished yesterday), I also ran out of money. I only hope that the others that attended Biketoberfest at Spyder Comfort enjoyed them selves as much as my wife and I did, thanks to Mike and Chrystal for the free cookout, and everyone else for just being so damn nice.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Post Congrats on the Mods

Your post makes me want to attend the March Event. I hope the people who installed your equipment will be there then. Thanks for the review. However you didn't mention any lights did anyone offer changing your front-fender reflectors to lights. I am really interested in getting the lights added also.

Blade

Spyder Garage

Blade, SpyderLyter Fred did my fender lights during Bike Week in March. He also did ground effect lighting, mirror LEDs for turn signals, brake lights, and saddlebag markers. Excellent work, and he even fixed a minor problem at Syderquest last September despite being swamped with work. He and his wife are great folks. He's based in Florida, but does hit some Spyder events. You can reach him on his Facebook page.

Devious, I have a '14 RTS, and I was under the impression that the stock sway bars were beefed up and are sufficient. Is there a marked difference with Ron's set up?

Now I'm regretting not going to Biketoberfest! I passed on it due to reports of detours along the I-95 corridor in the Carolinas.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Events moving to South Carolina

Just a FYI:

Mike and Krystal have sold the shop in Edgewater after being there 31 years....Biketoberfest 2015 was the last SpyderEvent in Edgewater.

Mike will continue to offer the same services as before on Spyders and Slingshots just in the winter in Edgewater, FL and during the summers in SC...

New Spyder events started this year in SC and the 2016 dates have been set for SC....check out info here

http://www.spydercomfort.com/dsblue.htm

The same vendors will be in SC and Krystal hopes to add more as they grow

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    Your post makes me want to attend the March Event. I hope the people who installed your equipment will be there then. Thanks for the review. However you didn't mention any lights did anyone offer changing your front-fender reflectors to lights. I am really interested in getting the lights added also.

Blade
    Welll I did mention Spyderliter Fred, but didn't say what I got. This was the last of my cash on hand, I got a very cool red LED ring that fits around the emblem on the trunk lid, it is a running lite and brake lit, a real attention getter. And, ground effect white LED's on the A arms and around the bottom of the front. Very nice. I didn't plan of lites, but my wife liked them. You know how that goes.

David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
    Blade, SpyderLyter Fred did my fender lights during Bike Week in March. He also did ground effect lighting, mirror LEDs for turn signals, brake lights, and saddlebag markers. Excellent work, and he even fixed a minor problem at Syderquest last September despite being swamped with work. He and his wife are great folks. He's based in Florida, but does hit some Spyder events. You can reach him on his Facebook page.

Devious, I have a '14 RTS, and I was under the impression that the stock sway bars were beefed up and are sufficient. Is there a marked difference with Ron's set up?

Now I'm regretting not going to Biketoberfest! I passed on it due to reports of detours along the I-95 corridor in the Carolinas.
    Coastrider, I can't say much about the beefed up sway bars as I am a new owner (about a month now), all I can comment is on my short experience. Sapping out the sway bar on my 15 made a world of difference in the handling, both on the highway, and the twistys, as I said in my original post. If we were close enough, I'd let you ride mine and make up your own mind. I do have a bit of experience, I've ridden motorcycles for 45 years, raced go karts for 6 years, and played around with sports cars for maybe 6 years, and I honestly feel the Bajaron bar made a significant difference.

David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    Coastrider, I can't say much about the beefed up sway bars as I am a new owner (about a month now), all I can comment is on my short experience. Sapping out the sway bar on my 15 made a world of difference in the handling, both on the highway, and the twistys, as I said in my original post. If we were close enough, I'd let you ride mine and make up your own mind. I do have a bit of experience, I've ridden motorcycles for 45 years, raced go karts for 6 years, and played around with sports cars for maybe 6 years, and I honestly feel the Bajaron bar made a significant difference.

David
    I would say that your experience racing Karts made you more aware than most other riders. For me, I knew right off the front end was toed out more than I cared for. Unlike a Kart, you hopefully will not unload an inside rear tire.

We have similar mods as yours, pretty well rounded package now.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    First a little disclaimer, I wasn't sure where to post this, General, RT Touring, or Mods, as I met some really nice folks at Spyder Comfort yesterday during Biketoberfest who asked me to post my opinion of how I liked the mods I had done. So, I'm posting here in hopes the they see my humble opinions.

First, Mike Loescher did a minor touch up of the Laser alignment I had done a couple of weeks ago, atta boy to him for standing behind his work. And just for general knowledge, he says his alignments are guaranteed for life unless you wreck your trike or something like that. He also installed my BajaRon's swaybar set up and SmoothSpyder's belt tensioner. Here's my take:

I've only had my 2015 RTL 4 weeks now and from what I've learned, some of the 15's, out of the factory (or dealer) are on the money as far as alignment goes. Unfortunately, or maybe that should be fortunately because I got to meet Mike and his wife Chrystal (not to mention everyone I shook hands with yesterday) my Spyder wanted to wander all over the road when it was given to me by the dealer. Now it goes down the road, straight as an arrow, and I can even take my hands off the bars at 70 mph and it still tracks like an arrow.

The BajaRons sway bar now allows my Spyder to goe around a turn pretty much flat with very little leaning. It isn't pushed around the road by a passing semi truck, or errant gust of wind. I'm very satisfies and can not say enough about the customer service I got while trying to decide if this is what I really wanted to do. Ron is a wealth of knowledge, and he has a couple of more items that are going to find their way to my trike.

The belt tensioner from Smooth Spyder, did exactly what I had hoped for, and while not completely eliminating the belt vibration I was getting around 4,000 rpm, about where I ride on the interstates, it has moved it to a higher rpm range, which I normally don't get to, and the vibration that remains, is now muted enough where I don't eveh think about it.

These first three mods, have made my RTL what it should have been to start with, and my 150 mile ride home last night, while later than planned due to having a lite dinner with a great group fo folks in Edgewater Florida, was really very, very nice and completely differ than the ride down.

Another thing I had down was I got rid of the catalytic converter, thanks to Spyder Attitude, for a much more reasonable price than I was anticipating. It only took about 30 minutes not counting the run and rest time it took to allow the computer to reset it's self to the new numbers, and while I got a little bit of sound increase, I wouldn't say it's louder, just sounds a little throatier and that is only during acceleration. Cruising you just here a quite purr, oh yeah, I kept the stock RT muffler. Seat of the pants say it's really quite a bit peppier, and I'm told I should see and increase in gas mileage also.

And last but not least, are my new lights from Spyderliter, Fred Reese. The man really knows his business and has a nice selection of lights to put on your ride. My big disappointment was finding out that the mud flap (I live on a dirt road) I installed was in the way of getting an LED American flag that is just beautiful, and bright enough to be seen at high noon, and really catches your eye at night. Meeting him and his wife Ann were a bonus and part of the group that my wife and I had supper with that didn't end until 9:00 o'clock.

It seems that the mods are addictive once you start, and besides running out of time (ours was the last trike finished yesterday), I also ran out of money. I only hope that the others that attended Biketoberfest at Spyder Comfort enjoyed them selves as much as my wife and I did, thanks to Mike and Chrystal for the free cookout, and everyone else for just being so damn nice.

David
    David, I was one of the guys who talked to you about results of your Smooth Spyder install. Thanks for letting me know the results. I think I will order one. Also enjoyed meeting and talking with you. Hope to see you on the road sometime soon.

John