Thread: tire wear

Spyder Garage

Default tire wear

I noticed some excessive tire wear on the inside of the right front (as you sit on it) tire. See the pic.

Otherwise tires are great, 9600 miles total. The other side is just fine.

I assume this is caster? I find it odd that one side would do this, seemingly out of the blue, it was fine 2000 miles ago.

is there a typical reason for this?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You need an alignment.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You need an alignment.
    Yeah, thats pretty obvious. I am trying to understand why something would wiggle out so suddenly, no impacts on any thing, etc.

daggum dealer wants $270 for that. yikes.
    Last edited by RDWII; 10-16-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RDWII View Post
    Yeah, thats pretty obvious. I am trying to understand why something would wiggle out so suddenly, no impacts on any thing, etc.

daggum dealer wants $270 for that. yikes.
    Your dealer is nutso. I bet they are going to use the 2 x 4 alignment system also.

A genuine laser alignment should cost between $120 and $150--per the information on the site here. There must be someone in your area that does them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Your dealer is nutso. I bet they are going to use the 2 x 4 alignment system also.

A genuine laser alignment should cost between $120 and $150--per the information on the site here. There must be someone in your area that does them.
    I am not sure that I want to tackle it, but I found this... its interesting and instructive...

http://www.gospyder.net/spyder-DIY-alignment.html

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Ditto...

had the same thing, did have 19,000 miles but had the laser done and it helped the tires last another 9,000 miles. Worth it...
    Squared Away travels check with Ann and Joe and see where they will be next....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Looks to me you need camber adjustment. Dont you need alignment if it doesn't steer straight?

Spyder Garage

​just to be devils advocate, if it's just on one side might want to check all of the suspension componentbefore you do an alignment, something might be worn and in need of replacement if this wasn't caused by road trauma
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

my 09 did the same wear pattern on the inside at a little over 10k miles. had an alignment done and put on a set of bridgestone tires 1 size taller. they have 43k on them now and plenty of rubber left running at 17psi

Spyder Garage

Default Inside tire wear.

I have the exact same wear pattern on my 2012 RT Limited with OEM Kendas. Mine wears prematurely on the inside of the left tire looking at it from the front. Have 15,000 miles on them now, and "might" get another couple of thousand miles before thread is completely gone just on the inside. I have been using 20 psi inflation, experimenting and it handles best at 20 psi, plus, does not pull left or right, and runs straight, so i am reluctant to mess with the alignment. I plan on using Bridgestones, same size when I change them out, hoping for improvement. 007james

Quote Originally Posted by RDWII View Post
    I noticed some excessive tire wear on the inside of the right front (as you sit on it) tire. See the pic.

Otherwise tires are great, 9600 miles total. The other side is just fine.

I assume this is caster? I find it odd that one side would do this, seemingly out of the blue, it was fine 2000 miles ago.

is there a typical reason for this?

Thanks.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MIS-ALIGNED

James that is your right front tire ......and every tire you will put on will wear this way. Find someone near you and get a ROLO / OUTLAW lazer alignment. It's well worth the money. Dealers will most likely have the BRP system which doesn't work !!!....so ask........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default ROLO

I live in Roanoke ,VA. and my Dealer is in Lynchburg. They do not plan on getting the Laser set up, because they can't justify the cost from the few alignments per year they do. Also, in spite of there also being another Can-Am dealer in Roanoke, I rarely see any other Spyders on the road around here, and I ride year around, when I am not traveling, which is about a third of the time. I have toured 60 different countries in the last 3 years, and of all those countries, I have only seen a few Spyders. I plan on riding a Spyder until I can no longer climb up on it, or can't find my way back home because I can no longer hear my GPS with my hearing aids turned up to full volume! 007jim

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    James that is your right front tire ......and every tire you will put on will wear this way. Find someone near you and get a ROLO / OUTLAW lazer alignment. It's well worth the money. Dealers will most likely have the BRP system which doesn't work !!!....so ask........Mike
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ROLO LAZER ALIGNMENT

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    I live in Roanoke ,VA. and my Dealer is in Lynchburg. They do not plan on getting the Laser set up, because they can't justify the cost from the few alignments per year they do. Also, in spite of there also being another Can-Am dealer in Roanoke, I rarely see any other Spyders on the road around here, and I ride year around, when I am not traveling, which is about a third of the time. I have toured 60 different countries in the last 3 years, and of all those countries, I have only seen a few Spyders. I plan on riding a Spyder until I can no longer climb up on it, or can't find my way back home because I can no longer hear my GPS with my hearing aids turned up to full volume! 007jim
    James, there is a list of PRIVATE lazer aligners here on Spyderlovers....... And I just ....give advice......I don't demand anyone take it. ...............Mike And good news Jim, Star City Power Sports which is a Can Am Dealer does the ROLO Lazer alignment
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-27-2015 at 02:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

laser alignment providers

http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealers.htm