Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MEP View Post
    I am on my third instrument/gauge lens replacement due to some kind of substance that starts to run down behind the lens and causes an etching effect, and it has now happened again. The substance is not water or condensation, and seems to be some sort of an oily-like chemical coating. The bike is washed with a garden hose and Meguiars Gold Class soap, and I am careful to avoid the dash area altogether.

My dealer has promptly replaced the lens each time and now that it has happened a fourth time the issue has become a "case" with BRP. I am told that BRP is waiting for another picture of the most recently affected lens before making any recommendations. I have researched and read about this issue, or a similar issue, occurring here and there in the past with other Spyder owners. What I haven't read or heard about, however, is someone else having the same problem repeatedly. If anyone can shed any further light on this I'd appreciate it.
    I purchased my 2015 RT LTD Last week, (Oct 02/15) and noticed stuff on the inside of the clear plexiglass left side. I rode again yesterday and now I notice stuff on the inside of the right side.
    Something is causing these issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydertrike View Post
    I purchased my 2015 RT LTD Last week, (Oct 02/15) and noticed stuff on the inside of the clear plexiglass left side. I rode again yesterday and now I notice stuff on the inside of the right side.
    Something is causing these issues.
    Thank you. Based on what others have said, conversations with my dealer, and my own experiences my opinion at this point is that some sort of factory coating on the inside of the lens is degrading (probably when the heat from the engine warms it to a certain temperature) and then starting to run. I could be wrong but nothing else makes sense to me.

I was at my dealer today with my fourth affected lens. They photographed it as per BRP's request and will have further communication with BRP about this issue. In the interim, they cleaned the lens again and ordered me another new one.

I will update this thread with any further information that I get from BRP or my dealer.
    Last edited by MEP; 10-07-2015 at 07:02 PM.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Just a quick update...there seems to be at least some movement with BRP in the direction of trying to figure out what's going on with the affected lenses out there. BRP representatives are aware of this thread, as well as the historical threads that I could find, and are taking a look at this issue. Hopefully, they will figure out what the problem is. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by MEP; 10-09-2015 at 05:06 PM.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is at least a decent start...
    Let's hope that they find the solution quickly!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had my cluster cover changed out under warrenty 8 weeks ago for the same reason. I first noticed the "stains" with less then 1000 kms. Had it replaced at breakin service, no problem. I look at the dash yesterday and there are the "stains" again, on the inside.
    I have been very careful not to get water in the area, just damp wipe down and dry.
    So now I see this is a common issue. I have to go and talk to them about my rear tire( 6500 kms and signifigent wear)anyways, so I will also point this out too.
    Last edited by Scugog58; 10-09-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scugog58 View Post
    I had my cluster cover changed out under warrenty 8 weeks ago for the same reason. I first noticed the "stains" with less then 1000 kms. Had it replaced at breakin service, no problem. I look at the dash yesterday and there are the "stains" again, on the inside.
    I have been very careful not to get water in the area, just damp wipe down and dry.
    So now I see this is a common issue. I have to go and talk to them about my rear tire( 6500 kms and signifigent wear)anyways, so I will also point this out too.
    Thank you.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Cluster/Gauge Stain

Stains on the inside of the cluster glass seems to be a common problem across all years and models. Maybe BRP will come up with a better cover and do a massive recall. I have had the problem on my ST-S for a long time and have just lived with it.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Stains on the inside of the cluster glass seems to be a common problem across all years and models. Maybe BRP will come up with a better cover and do a massive recall. I have had the problem on my ST-S for a long time and have just lived with it.
    Thanks for the information. Something needs to be done.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Me Too" on 2013 ST-L. Annoying but liveable... Hope they solve this as I'd be in line for the "fix" for sure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    "Me Too" on 2013 ST-L. Annoying but liveable... Hope they solve this as I'd be in line for the "fix" for sure.
    Thank you.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I thought my eyes were seeing things...my 2015 RT has the same issue. Its not severe, but I am a detail freak and would like it fixed. The bike cost me a lot of money, so I don't think its too much to ask.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trekguy View Post
    I thought my eyes were seeing things...my 2015 RT has the same issue. Its not severe, but I am a detail freak and would like it fixed. The bike cost me a lot of money, so I don't think its too much to ask.
    Thanks, and I agree with you completely. I suggest that you see your dealer even while this gets sorted out.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I just noticed the same thing on my lens today. I thought I would check SL to see if anyone else was having this trouble. Oddly it was the first thread.

Spyder Garage

Our 2014 RTs with an early serial number has issues also. So far I have just lived with it.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2014 sts has been replaced and I need another one!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaman View Post
    I just noticed the same thing on my lens today. I thought I would check SL to see if anyone else was having this trouble. Oddly it was the first thread.
    I believe that BRP and all of their dealers have the capability to share information regarding service and warranty issues within their own web based environment, much like we do here. I am suggesting that folks see their dealers so that maybe, just maybe, this issue will make its way into their discussions as well. The more information the better, as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for weighing in.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Our 2014 RTs with an early serial number has issues also. So far I have just lived with it.

PK
    Thank you.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greatrides View Post
    2014 sts has been replaced and I need another one!
    Thank you.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Got a 2015 RT-S with the same issue. On all my gauges. Waiting on the dealer to get the instrument cluster lens in for replacement. Nice to know I am not alone on this issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Shiznit98204 View Post
    Got a 2015 RT-S with the same issue. On all my gauges. Waiting on the dealer to get the instrument cluster lens in for replacement. Nice to know I am not alone on this issue.
    Thanks. It doesn't solve the mystery but it is helpful to know when others have experienced the same issue.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Another quick update. I just had another new lens installed and had the chance to inspect both the old one and the new one off the bike. The dealer and I both saw excess coating material (hardened) around the perimeter of both the old and the brand new lenses, in sort of a dripping pattern. It is sure looking like that hardened overflow material degrades and becomes fluid when it is warmed by the engine heat, and then starts to run down inside the lens. My hunch is that once the new lens reaches the threshold temperature the issue is going to repeat itself. The old lens will be sent to BRP for inspection. I tried to take a picture of what we saw but I couldn't get it to show up because it's clear. Stay tuned, and please provide any additional information that you might have here.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MEP View Post
    Another quick update. I just had another new lens installed and had the chance to inspect both the old one and the new one off the bike. The dealer and I both saw excess coating material (hardened) around the perimeter of both the old and the brand new lenses, in sort of a dripping pattern. It is sure looking like that hardened overflow material degrades and becomes fluid when it is warmed by the engine heat, and then starts to run down inside the lens. My hunch is that once the new lens reaches the threshold temperature the issue is going to repeat itself. The old lens will be sent to BRP for inspection. I tried to take a picture of what we saw but I couldn't get it to show up because it's clear. Stay tuned, and please provide any additional information that you might have here.

I think maybe even the sun might cause it to become fluid, my bike sometimes is in the sun for four or five hours while I'm at work, I imagine the dash could get quite hot.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scugog58 View Post
    I think maybe even the sun might cause it to become fluid, my bike sometimes is in the sun for four or five hours while I'm at work, I imagine the dash could get quite hot.
    Maybe. It has always happened to me while riding, however,and my bike is otherwise kept in the garage.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Sub Contractors - Simple Solution

Personally, I have never understood when a the Prime Manufacturer says, "we need to study the problem!"

Whether it be the DESS or lens situations the solutions are relatively simple.

Collect the data from the dealers; collect the faulty component.

Go to your supplier or subcontractor and let them know in simple terms that their QC has slipped, their product is not to spec and is unacceptable.

Get with the program or face CANCELLATION of ALL future orders and you not only have 90 days to comply, you will REIMBURSE us for all the FAILED components - PERIOD!

Maybe I spent too many years with Fortune 50s, but when a PRIME speaks the SUBS fall in line pretty fast.

AJ
    Last edited by PaladinLV; 09-12-2016 at 03:42 PM.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Personally, I have never understood when a the Prime Manufacturer says, "we need to study the problem!"

Whether it be the DESS or lens situations the solutions are relatively simple.

Collect the data from the dealers; collect the faulty component.

Go to your supplier or subcontractor and let them know in simple terms that their QC has slipped, their product is not to spec and is unacceptable.

Get with the program or face CANCELLATION of ALL future orders and you not only have 90 days to comply, you will REIMBURSE us for all the FAILED components - PERIOD!

Maybe I spent too many years with Fortune 50s, but when a PRIME speaks the SUBS fall in line pretty fast.

AJ
    Believe me when I say that my frustration level with this issue has been pretty high, especially given what these machines cost and the repeated trips back and forth to my dealer. My dealer (Nielsen), however, has been great to work with on this issue. There was some earlier indication from BRP regarding their position on this issue moving forward that concerned me, but in light of some further clarification I am still in the 'give-BRP-the-benefit-of-the-doubt' mode. I have brought this and several other historical threads to the attention of BRP, and my dealer has communicated to BRP that the issue is a defective part and not the result or fault of anything that I might be doing. Accordingly, I'm hopeful that BRP will work towards a permanent solution for all of us with affected units.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited