Thread: Resistor ...

Spyder Garage

Default Resistor ...

I've installed LED accent lights all over my Spyder RT-S and recently, when I added MORE lights on the front and back, when I press my brake while the radio is on, the radio goes to static. How can I fix this? Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Spyder Garage

Getting ready to do this myself the day after tomorrow. Not being no expert by far, but I need to ask you, did you put a fusebox between this and your Cambus Electrical System? Or did you wire this directly into your Bike?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

did you put something on the brake circuit

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dikicep9 View Post
    I've installed LED accent lights all over my Spyder RT-S and recently, when I added MORE lights on the front and back, when I press my brake while the radio is on, the radio goes to static. How can I fix this? Has anyone else ever experienced this?
    I have the LED'S on my front fenders( amber) & red( facing driver) & red on the side of saddlebags, I have a 2014RTS-SE6 and I get static when my radio is on. I have the same problem. Where did you buy your LED'S from?
    Sent pm. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the fender LEDs, wired to be running lites and turn signals, and the CD brake lights with a modulator. I also just added 2 20W LED spots. The 20Ws are wired directly to the battery. No static at all

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had the same problem see

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...SB-power-ports

I posted an update on how my problem was solved

Hope this helps
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hate to say this, but could this "Stray Electricity" be leaking out of a poorly insulated connection?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I've posted in eddieshep's thread, but I guess it won't hurt to post here too....

Are you sure this static wasn't happening before you added any farkles? My RT farts static thru the radio whenever the brakes are applied & has done since new (just over 15,000 kms ago now) but only when the radio is tuned to an AM station!! I've searched for poor connections & dodgy earths, fitted some ferrite cores, added a few 'extra' earth straps, changed all the brake light globes, & even checked the brake pedal switch for loose or frayed wiring etc.... but no; & it still makes rude static noises whenever I apply the brakes while the radio is on an AM station....

I had decided the bike just didn't like my choice of AM radio stations until I carried a UHF/VHF handheld radio on a recent trip, & it too belched static with every brake application!! So there's definitely something radiating when the brake pedal is pressed, & I don't have any LED's or other electrical mods/additions (yet....)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you have static in the radio, I'd suggest applying the brakes when the Spyder isn't moving. Do you still hear the static ?? If not, then it's just static electricity generated by the friction of the pads and the rotor.

Spyder Garage

Yep, done that ^ on mine anyway!!

If the radio is tuned to an AM station & turned on, applying the brakes sounds a blare of static.... regardless of if the engine is running or not, or if the bike is moving or not!! The local auto elec reckons it's gotta be something to do with the Can-Bus, cos between us we hafta have checked each & every wire, light globe, connection, & earth at least a dozen times!!

Or or the Spyder just doesn't like my choice of radio stations at times?!?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I read about 3 months ago or so that a guy had the same issue. It was the unshielded wiring for the HMT brake light running up to the trunk lid passing by the antenna block. He moved the wiring to the other side of the bike and it solved it.

Remember unshielded wiring always radiates EMF as current passes through it. I am sure this is what is happening.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's strange that I happened on this thread. My wife was telling me this afternoon that she was getting static on her RTS radio when she brakes, on an FM station. Been reading the answers.The antenna cable is shielded to prevent external interference. but I'm not sure if it has a drain wire. Usually, only high power shielded cable has a drain wire. It would seem that something in the brake circuit is causing interference to the radio signal. That could be the brake light switch, the cruise control cut out switch and possibly an HMT. But, there are those who don't have an HMT and still have the static. So here's what I would do. Start disconnecting one switch at a time. You won't have easy access to the cruise cut out so just make sure the cruise control is off at the handlebar switch. If you have a HMT, disconnect it in turn. You won't need the engine running since the brake light function works off the battery except for the cruise function. If neither of these eliminates the static, then there is another problem. Static from brake pads is a non issue since if there is any, it would dissipate through the frame and the static happens even when the Spyder isn't moving. Just my 2 cents worth.

Spyder Garage

I don't have any lights besides the std (Aus spec) lights & wiring (ie, NO hi-mount brake light) & I get the static on the radio when it's tuned to AM stations (actually it happens even when it's NOT tuned to a station, but the radio hasta have the AM band selected & be turned on....) and the static occurs regardless of whether cruise is on or off.

I suspect that the static is 'more obvious' on the AM band simply because the noise suppression is better for FM channels on the radio. The static was audible on the handheld UHF/VHF I sometimes carry, but I could 'tune' it out... if I didn't want to hear any signal transmitted by anything more than a couple of hundred yards away!

Just as an aside, I did hafta replace the antenna & its mount block some time back; that made no difference either, the static was audible before & after the antenna change-over.

I was sorta pondering changing the brake light switch itself & seeing if that made any difference - it's pretty much the only thing left that I can think of which may be causing this. I have played around with it a little recently & I'm becoming more & more inclined to believe it's the switch itself. If I disconnect the switch then there's no static (& of course there's no brake light either!!) and if I use an external power source to activate the light while the brake switch is disconnected there is still no audible static... so it could well be the switch; but sometimes these things are just meant to puzzle us!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-17-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Think ground

For whatever odd reason, everything on the Can-Am seems to be grounded to the gas tank. Since you asked, consider installing a 14 gauge stranded ground wire between the antenna ground lug and the ground lug on the right rear of the gas tank. This will give the radio a unified ground and hopefully eliminate your static.