Spyder Garage

Talking Cabot Trail 2016 ride

In 2013 my wife and I rode 6600 miles on our then new 2012 RT Limited. This ride included Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Quebec, Ontario, Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Oklahoma and finally back into Texas and home. We live in South Texas. The ride was great. We had a wonderful time visiting family and friends and making new friends.

For 2016 we are considering riding the Cabot Trail, Cape Breton island. We have family in Halifax so will probably visit them also.

We are looking for suggestions, tips, etc.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't Stop There

Do the coast of Maine on the way. Visit Acadia Park & see the view from Cadillac Mtn. Visit Moncton and see the great tidal boar, spend an evening in Halifax, a beautiful city. Cape Breton is more than beautiful but visit PEI too. The nicest people on the planet and a special place. Take the ferry over and the bridge back. Do the Gaspe Peninsula, the most beautiful place you can imagine. You can have it all in 10 days to two weeks. Trust me, the trip of a lifetime!!

Spyder Garage

The Cabot Trail is known to be FOGGY most times. Be prepared to ride in some damp weather.

Also - we were near the Bras d'Or Lake this summer (at the Dundee golf resort), and some of the roads were HORRIBLE. I would suggest that you keep to the main roads going through Cape Breton - or at least be very careful on the secondary roads.

Other then that, the scenery on the Cabot Trail is AWESOME. There are plenty of places to stop and grab some really great pics of the scenery. One must stop while in Cape Breton is Fort Louisbourg, which is on the eastern tip of Cape Breton. It's a French fort that was used to protect the area against the English - when you get there and do not speak French, they will take you as "prisoners" because you are English. Since I speak English & French they treated me like royalty because I talked to them in French. Actually its a way to break up the visitors by their language so that the guide walking you around can talk to you in English without having to wonder which language you speak. And if you would like to visit Prince Edward Island, there is a ferry that leaves from the Caribou, NS near New Glasgow - this would be after going around the Cabot Trail. PEI is a great place to ride around - there are lots of beachs, great camping and plenty of touristy things to do while there.

Hope this helps - if you need more information, don't hesitate to ask.

Bruce.

Spyder Garage

There is great riding up the coast of Maine. An option is to take the ferry from Portland to Yarmouth NS then take highway 3/103 along the south shore to Halifax. From there you could take Highway 7 along the eastern shore to Antigonish then on to the Trail.

My preference is to ride the trail counter clockwise and 3/4 way turn off on route 19 and take that along the western shore of Cape Breton. I went around the trail last weekend.

the ride around the Gaspe is an awesome ride, I did that last year.

If you want any info or just discuss don't hesitate to contact me. I live an hour from the start of the trail.
    Dan

2014 RT-S SE6, 2012 RT-622 trailer

Spyder Garage

I was there 3 weeks ago. Cabot Trail is very nice and it's a must see in a Spyder Trip in Nova Scotia. In the Cap Breton area, don't miss Peggy's Cove. We rode on secondary roads the shore of all Nova Scotia all the way down to Yartmouth. Some roads are bumpy, but in general, roads have good pavement quality. Don't miss Alexander Graham Bell museum in Badeck.

On our way back to Quebec, we rode thru the New Brunswick coast from Moncton to St-Stephen. Very nice. Next day, we cross the border and rode on US1 (Maine) to Booth Bay Harbor for one night. Last day, we rode US201 from Skowhegan to Jackman before entering Quebec and drive home to Quebec City.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdr View Post
    ... In the Cap Breton area, don't miss Peggy's Cove. ...
    Peggy's Cove is about 2 hours from the start of Cape Breton. It's about 30 minutes from Halifax. While at Peggy's Cove - please read the warning signs. People have died taking pictures on the wet rocks when a rogue wave comes in and people fall into the ocean and drown. While at Peggy's cove look for the Swiss Air flight 111 memorial - this flight went into the waters off of Peggy's Cove in 1998 and while all of the local fishermen went out to look for survivors - there were none.
    Last edited by belowme29; 08-12-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's nice up that way, we were there last summer. http://www.motorcycletourguidens.com...-new-brunswick
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In 2016 we re planning on going to the Bluenose Rally just outside of Kentville, Nova Scotia July 1st to the 3rd. After that we are heading to the Cabot Trail. We camp out and do the trail counter clockwise keeping the ocean on our right side. Better view of the coastline. Take all day and spend the night in the same campground. Early start in the morning and head over to Prince Edward Island. No charge for ferry going to the PEI. We will be spending sometime in PEI. My granddaughter wants to spend a few days with her friend that has been meeting at the Bluenose for the last four years. While she is visiting they told us they would guide us around the island. They know where the best places for PEI muscles are. When we leave there we're taking The Confederation Bridge back. What a beautiful ride that is. Then it's back to Maine. Which route we haven't decided yet. A lot of this will depend on some friends that are coming from Ohio to join us. Plans are made but can adjusted as you go. Mother Nature is the biggest factor that is not controllable.

Spyder Garage

Actually, I'm doing the same trip on Monday. Crossing at Calais, ME then spending the night at Truro, NS and then on to Cape Breton and Sydney, NS. I have done this trip three times by car so the route is a no brainer. If you go up the Maine coast and decide to go to Acadia National Park, go back up to Brewer and take Route 9 to Calais. There no bridges east of Calais so you have to go that way. Cape Breton is breath taking and a real treat.

By the way, you pronounce Calais KAL LAS and Bangor BANG OR. I have no idea why. Anyhow if you use the right terms the locals will treat you better. I know, I'm one of them.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make a zig zag and take in P.E.I.. Take the car boat over and bridge off. No charge to get on island. Toll to get off. Bridge best price.

Spyder Garage

Peggy's Cove (Nova Scotia)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Was there last year. We had high winds and poor visibility. Still nice though. This year we toured some vineyards in the Annapolis Valley in the Wolfville area. That whole area is so diversified. Apples, grapes, peaches. strawberries and all kinds of vegetables.Some of the friendliest people you will ever meet.