Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default What Kind of "Release" Did You Sign?

If your local Spyder dealer will only install non-OEM tires on your Spyder if you sign a "release", what's in that release? What parts of warranty does it nullify? How much are you left hanging on your own if you do that? Any hesitations? Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I've never done it, but I would assume is just a standard Release from Liability, which protects the dealership if you have a mishap and try to hold them culpable. Personally, I would never sign anything that voided any part of the warranty.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Never sign away your legal rights if you do not have to. Try a different dealer. A small thing could turn into a big thing. A good corporate lawyer could void everything in your warranty if a big issue happened.

It is a shame we cannot even choose a particular brand of tire without someone getting their ire up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by etaoin View Post
    If your local Spyder dealer will only install non-OEM tires on your Spyder if you sign a "release", what's in that release? What parts of warranty does it nullify? How much are you left hanging on your own if you do that? Any hesitations? Thanks.
    I think it holds them harmless if there's an issue with the tire or anything relating to the tire (traction, etc). It can't void any other part of your warranty. My dealer has had me sign a waiver before installing an aftermarket tire on my Spyder. I sign it and am glad they'll change it. I just buy the tire and take it to them.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Tempest in a Tea-Pot!

Has anyone had or heard of anyone having an issue caused by a 'Car Tire' being installed? Has anyone had or ever heard of anyone having a warranty issue for this reason? In my case the answer is no.

It is a shame that replacing a very low quality, light duty car tire with a much better car tire creates this much angst. Hopefully, you can find someone that isn't put off by installing a better, safer, longer lasting (and at the same time less expensive) item on your Spyder.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you, Ron!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Learn to take the rear wheel off yourself,it isn't hard. There are videos here that will show you how without disturbing the belt. Find a tire store that can mount your tire for you, there are lots of them, most any car tire store and be done with the whole problem.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Learn to take the rear wheel off yourself,it isn't hard. There are videos here that will show you how without disturbing the belt. Find a tire store that can mount your tire for you, there are lots of them, most any car tire store and be done with the whole problem.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

the only part not covered is the tires or any issue that could be attributed to be caused by that tire...gets scketchy there but have never seen an issue. Most dealers just won't do it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What do you mean: If I get hurt: you can sue ME??

That's not a release; it's a suicide note!

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Easier than a motorcycle....

It should be much easier than a motorcycle wheel. I took the wheels off my sportster with the bike on a lift & straps to the ceiling beam. 3 wheels, floor jack or small lift & jack stands. Should be easy enough.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I just take my own wheel off and bring it to a shop. Last one I bought the tire from Costco and later brought them the wheel and tire.
    They charged me $10.00 to change the tire and that included disposal of the old tire. I use Ride on for balancing so did not need that done.
    The hard part of the rear tire removal for me is getting the trailer hitch off as it is (on mine) a press fit.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just watched the DIY video on changing the rear tire. Well, that's way beyond my wherewithall at 68 years old and arthritis in my hands. Guess I'll have to deal with a dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer is happy to mount an aftermarket tire... as long as it's in the OEM sizing. No releases are required!

Spyder Garage

THIS^...It really isn't that hard to do. And there are plenty places that will mount the tire, ya just gotta ask around.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Most of us are really guessing here. Can you ask for a copy of the release so you can share it with us?
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

When I worked at a dealership you had to sign a waiver if you brought in a wheel and tire without the motorcycle. The waiver was to hold the shop harmless in case the user screwed up putting it back on the bike, etc. Under the Moss Magnusson act I am fairly confident that signing a waiver for putting a non-OEM tire on would not affect the warranty on a non related part, say like the radiator.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

I guess you do not participate in many group rides or poker runs, were a waiver to hold harmless is typically both standard and a requirement.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Never sign away your legal rights if you do not have to. Try a different dealer. A small thing could turn into a big thing. A good corporate lawyer could void everything in your warranty if a big issue happened.

It is a shame we cannot even choose a particular brand of tire without someone getting their ire up.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Took my RT to the dealer with my tire.They installed it I payed the labour and rode off.They even said it was a better tire.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

A bit off topic, but did you guys have to sign a disclaimer when you bought the Spyder?

I remember having to go thorugh a ticklist sheet at the dealer in germany and then sign the bottom. Had things like 'not drive on gravel', 'not drive on snow' etc. on it. Must have been at least 10 things on there I had to pledge not to do before I could take it away.

Ironically I broke the snow one on the way back to the Uk as it was snowing when my ferry docked!! I definitely broke the gravel road one last week.

I wonder if I've got a copy somewhere - could be fun trying to tick them off in the opposite way, as in I've done them!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My dealer willing installed a Khumo tire on my Spyder. Are you asking them to install a tire they did not supply? If so, even a car dealer would not be happy to do so.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joebryanjr View Post
    My dealer willing installed a Khumo tire on my Spyder. Are you asking them to install a tire they did not supply? If so, even a car dealer would not be happy to do so.

I have taken my own oil, filter and washers to my dealer for an oil change. They just charge me labor.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I have taken my own oil, filter and washers to my dealer for an oil change. They just charge me labor.
    Oil and filters are one thing. Tires could have a significant liability. Bad oil the engine blows up, bad tire you die. That is the difference.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

As stated above, my dealer said to me we have th Kumho in stock, it is less expensive, and others are getting much better wear on them. Would you like to give it a try? I said yes I would. No paper work involved. Apparently that tire has been approved by BRP.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    As stated above, my dealer said to me we have th Kumho in stock, it is less expensive, and others are getting much better wear on them... ...Apparently that tire has been approved by BRP.
    Or your dealership is just "going rogue", on behalf of their customers!