Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default D.E.S.S. experiment

I almost hate to post this but, I have experimented with something that has to date proven successful. To me it doesn’t necessarily make sense but here goes.

I have had the D.E.S.S. code four times since the 8th of May. Three of those four occurred within 24 hours of each other on May 25th and 26th. In my efforts to understand what s happening, I decided to try inserting the key into the ignition using the same orientation each time. I marked the key so that I could make sure I was actually controlling the orientation. I don’t know if it is really making any difference or if other forces are involved but I have not had a failure since. I try to ride the bike every day when the weather allows. It has been nine days since I started this. Each ride involves at least two or three starts. The total starts has to exceed twenty. If interested, try if and see if you have similar results. It should be interesting.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...

Who knows. The hard part is finding someone who has not taken thiers in at the first sign of this problem and had the parts replaced. But if in doubt it would be simple to mark the key and keep it that way....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Mine had the system replaced when the dealer still owned it. It was replaced because of a tech bulletin and not due to failure. It failed with the new parts and after I owned it for a few weeks. It always started when I did the ignition cycling drill.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This IS interesting, and is certainly worth a shot... Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

That will be a great answer if it continues to work. Keep us posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

i don't think this is a answer, but i would like to see someone who knows a dealer who can shut the DESS off w/o BRP KNOWING.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    I almost hate to post this but, I have experimented with something that has to date proven successful. To me it doesn’t necessarily make sense but here goes.

I have had the D.E.S.S. code four times since the 8th of May. Three of those four occurred within 24 hours of each other on May 25th and 26th. In my efforts to understand what s happening, I decided to try inserting the key into the ignition using the same orientation each time. I marked the key so that I could make sure I was actually controlling the orientation. I don’t know if it is really making any difference or if other forces are involved but I have not had a failure since. I try to ride the bike every day when the weather allows. It has been nine days since I started this. Each ride involves at least two or three starts. The total starts has to exceed twenty. If interested, try if and see if you have similar results. It should be interesting.
    ​What about your second key? Have you used it and gotten the code?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    ​What about your second key? Have you used it and gotten the code?
    I have never tried the second key. At this point, I don't want to introduce any additional variables. If I can get many more restarts without the problem, I will try the other key and see what it does. It would be really nice if the problem didn't happen again but, the jury is still out.

Spyder Garage

Interesting ! Subscribed..

Spyder Garage

About time for you to take the next step. Use the other orientation of the key for the next 20+ starts and see what happens!

Spyder Garage

Note to self, mark key to avoid the dreaded DESS curse. You may have something, I haven't removed my key in ages so maybe just maybe this may help.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just had mine replaced. But having had the DESS error more than 30 times, I must say that 95% of the times that it wouldn't start, I was able to just flip the key 180 degrees, and it started right away. You may be onto something. I just hope I never have this problem again. Good luck to anyone who has had the issue, and give this "marked key" method a try.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Two more starts yesterday, five starts todays. Still no D.E.S.S. issues. I hope it continues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's to hoping, that your experiment continues to be an unqualified success!

Spyder Garage

Hate t bust your bubble, but the error can come in cycles.
    Once it goes away, it could be weeks or months before returning, but believe me it WILL return and with each return it takes longer and harder to clear.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What is the correct orientation for the key???????
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Hate t bust your bubble, but the error can come in cycles.
    Once it goes away, it could be weeks or months before returning, but believe me it WILL return and with each return it takes longer and harder to clear.

AJ
    No bubbles involved. I realize that this is less than scientific but, it is at least something that for me, seems to be providing some relief from the problem and, it seems to be at least as effective as anything else posted to date on any other thread. Those that think BRP should disable the D.E.S.S. need to come up with some kind of a solution that has a better chance of being agreed too by BRP. That said, I will be really surprised if it really does turn out to be anything more than a short term resolution but, for now, it seems to be going my way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    I don't know how to identify the orientation but what I did was to pull the key out of the ignition after cycling the ignition and successfully starting and running the bike. I marked the key so that I could reinsert it with the same orientation as it had when I removed it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    the one where the bike starts
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Errors on my bike.

My key lives in the ignition - failure occurred under those conditions. Once did try other key; no luck. Other times bike started some hours/day later w/o removing key. Other time needed to be picked up on trailer.

Right now it is working fine (if I remember to not have the emergency switch turned off).

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    the one where the bike starts
    If this is affecting the ability of the DESS to recognize a correct key: you're 100% correct!
    But until the problem crops up: orientation of the key, appears to be a "non-issue".

Spyder Garage

Well, today I started the Spyder three times. Two of the three were good. One included a D.E.S.S. code. Oh well, it was good for about 29 of 30 starts. When I got the code, cycling the ignition brought it back to life, it started and I went on my way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well; it was really cool while it lasted!

Spyder Garage

^^^^^^^^^ nothing more to add to that :-(

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Suggestion -- DESS Key Error -- BRP Care Reponse Requested

The following is not my idea -- it was suggested in one of the other threads regarding DESS key errors. To the best of my knowledge, no response was requested / received from BRP Care (Steve). I did try contacting BRP through the web feedback, but (and his is really sad), their "customer support" reps refused to pass the suggestion on to technical for a response. They just referred me to my dealer ... GRRR. Anyway, while I am not affected by this error, I feel for those that are. Soooooo ....

Steve aka BRP Care -- please pass the following along for response from the technical folks.

Suggestion: Implement a PIN code, possibly two (factory assigned and user assigned) with the factory assigned being unique to each machine. Note that at least Indian and HD do this, so it is not new in the industry. I envision the following:
    • Key inserted, DESS key error.
    • Spyder the prompts for the PIN code.
    • User enters the PIN code via the turn signal button (so many pushes left, so many pushes right, push in for zero, etc.)
    • Error is then cleared and the Spyder starts.

Benefits -- Spyder remains secure and this could, possibly, be implemented with an ECM update in the field.

Again .... BRP Care, please research and respond.

Thank You .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __