Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Heated clothing questions

My wife and I love our Spyder and it makes us want to ride a little later in the year than we normally did in the past. Being in Michigan, it is getting a little cooler on those rides after the sun sets. I was looking at the heated clothing options out there and had some questions that I need some people with practical experience and not a sales person to answer.

1. Will the 2015 Spyder alternator handle the load of both rider and passenger having heated clothing pant liners, coat liners, and socks or insoles?
    2. I know this is subjective, but what is the most comfortable and effective heated clothing?
    3. I see that they have pant liners and heated chaps, is there a lot of difference in the comfort of the two?
    4. Being new to the site, I saw a post that one of the sponsors here sells some heated clothing. Is there a website or a page with info and pricing on it?

You all have been a GREAT resource for all of my questions in the past and I thank you in advance for your input.
    This site is awesome!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Not a problem...

your alternator puts out 1200 watts and can easily handle all your heated clothing needs. There are several companies Gerbing may be the best known but most bike shops have them and online ebay, amazon, cycle gear, revzilla etc. Prices will vary with brands and shops. BajaRon has non heated winter wear that works quite well. We have a cheaper brand that works well but being we use them very little can't justify the expensive ones...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

You have plenty of power as said previously, be sure to pull the power off of the battery or install relay that is triggered by the ignition side of things to prevent accidentally draining the battery. I have the heated coat, gloves and socks but I seldom use the gloves and even less so the socks. The heated grips do the job and I added a heated seat which really helps. I have ridden in 20 degree F. and was nice and warm, I did have my riding pants on though.

My gear is by Gerbing and they have held up well over the past 6 years since I purchased them.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    My wife and I love our Spyder and it makes us want to ride a little later in the year than we normally did in the past. Being in Michigan, it is getting a little cooler on those rides after the sun sets. I was looking at the heated clothing options out there and had some questions that I need some people with practical experience and not a sales person to answer.

1. Will the 2015 Spyder alternator handle the load of both rider and passenger having heated clothing pant liners, coat liners, and socks or insoles?
    2. I know this is subjective, but what is the most comfortable and effective heated clothing?
    3. I see that they have pant liners and heated chaps, is there a lot of difference in the comfort of the two?
    4. Being new to the site, I saw a post that one of the sponsors here sells some heated clothing. Is there a website or a page with info and pricing on it?

You all have been a GREAT resource for all of my questions in the past and I thank you in advance for your input.
    This site is awesome!
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...rs-amp-Helmets
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I use first gear coverall. Live by Alma, michigan. No issue at 30 deg Temps . Their sizes are large to fit. I think there is a sponsor on here that sells them.

Spyder Garage

Me and the wife both have Gerbing heated Jacket liners. They work very well. My wife is really cold blooded and she said that is all she needs. A friend who had a gerbing heated jacket that quit bought a Harley heated jacket is now disappointed. She says the Gerbing was better. Her top half is cold now in the Harley brand heated jacket. They are expensive but I will stay with Gerbing.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

FirstGear liner's work great! The wireless controller is awesome. Very easy to hook up.

Add one of these to the front and one for the passenger and you are ready to roll. Easy to connect and disconnect before you dismount the bike.

2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Lots of good advise above

I run a heated coat only down to just above freezing. Below that I don't ride. Fit is quite important with what ever you purchase. Start warm stay warm. Keeping your core body warm will keep your extremities warm. With example, a long sleeved turtle neck next to your skin then a snug fitting heated jacket. Then cover that with loose sweat shirt covered with a wind/rain proof outer jacket. You know, the layered affect. If you have a battery tender lead run it out under your seat (near the front) and you can operate your heated clothing off of that lead. With and SAE splitter you can run two sets of clothing. Pay attention to the amps you'd be drawing and use the appropriate wire gage and fuse. As mentioned above, run your system directly off the battery.

Spyder Garage

Before going too crazy, I find that heated gloves and a heated jacket liner (wear it close to the skin, just atop a thin base layer like Under Armor helps) are plenty on the Spyder-- I own Gerbing gear, always been happy. For legs on the Spyder, the lower frame blocks a lot of wind from the legs, all I need are a pair of quilted jeans, or long johns under regular jeans, all underneath riding overpants (I use a pair of First Gear HT pants-- blocks all the wind). I've worn that clear to ~10 below on very long rides and been okay (cold, but okay).

As for feet, I also find heated insoles unnecessary. Get a pair of unventilated touring boots, long winter socks, and if it's REALLY cold, tape chemical footwarmers on those socks before slipping in your boots (they last for a few hours, and it's easy to keep spares).

Really, hands and core-- keeping those warm is 90% of all-season comfort... good luck!
    Last edited by daveinva; 10-03-2015 at 12:41 AM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Before going too crazy, I find that heated gloves and a heated jacket liner (wear it close to the skin, just atop a thin base layer like Under Armor helps) are plenty on the Spyder-- I own Gerbing gear, always been happy. For legs on the Spyder, the lower frame blocks a lot of wind from the legs, all I need are a pair of quilted jeans, or long johns under regular jeans, all underneath riding overpants (I use a pair of First Gear HT pants-- blocks all the wind). I've worn that clear to ~10 below on very long rides and been okay (cold, but okay).

As for feet, I also find heated insoles unnecessary. Get a pair of unventilated touring boots, long winter socks, and if it's REALLY cold, tape chemical footwarmers on those socks before slipping in your boots (they last for a few hours, and it's easy to keep spares).

Really, hands and core-- keeping those warm is 90% of all-season comfort... good luck!
    I do the same....Gerbing "liner" (actually its a light jacket) and gloves, plus lined jeans and wool socks. If you have
    a store near you that sells Carhart products, they make good wool socks.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    FirstGear liner's work great! The wireless controller is awesome. Very easy to hook up. [emoji106]

Add one of these to the front and one for the passenger and you are ready to roll. Easy to connect and disconnect before you dismount the bike.

Talk a little about how you mounted that coax plug for the passenger. Anything special involved with locating it in the left passenger handle where there's a knock-out plug? Seems I saw a pic posted once but can't seem to turn it up in a search.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoswami View Post
    Talk a little about how you mounted that coax plug for the passenger. Anything special involved with locating it in the left passenger handle where there's a knock-out plug? Seems I saw a pic posted once but can't seem to turn it up in a search.

I mounted mine on by the left passenger handle with the adjustment knob from the controller.

Spyder Garage

look on the left side of the passenger hand grip. there is a blank there. just pop that out and boom .. simple mount. works perfectly
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default 12V coaxial socket in passenger handle

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    look on the left side of the passenger hand grip. there is a blank there. just pop that out and boom .. simple mount. works perfectly
    I see no easy way to access the underside of this plug without removing the passenger handle.

For the life of me, I do not see a simple way to do this. I opened the left saddlebag and found two 30 Torx screws which appear to fasten the lid release catches, and loosened them slightly at which point the latch assembly started to wiggle. Not wanting to drop hardware down inside the Black Hole of Bodywork, I re-tightened the screws.

Is it necessary to take out the saddlebag inner liner panels, and if so, to do this what other panels have to come off first?

I don't see any magic panel underneath the seat which would pop right off to assist with running wires to the 12V socket.

What am I not understanding about this "simple mount?"

Spyder Garage

I see no easy way to access the underside of this plug without removing the passenger handle.

For the life of me, I do not see a simple way to do this. I opened the left saddlebag and found two 30 Torx screws which appear to fasten the lid release catches, and loosened them slightly at which point the latch assembly started to wiggle. Not wanting to drop hardware down inside the Black Hole of Bodywork, I re-tightened the screws.

Is it necessary to take out the saddlebag inner liner panels, and if so, to do this what other panels have to come off first?

I don't see any magic panel underneath the seat which would

... (Actually there is. But this works best if you take off the left side panels first. Recommend getting the digital shop manual or similar)

What am I not understanding about this "simple mount?"
    Once you get the wires back there that connector is a bit simpler than what I did.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Who makes this and where can I buy some?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

The in-dash socket and pigtail are from First Gear, usually listing for about $16.95

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack

Spyder Garage

Default Heated clothing

This site is awesome!
    I have First Gear heated clothing, my brother wired it directly to my battery and the cord comes under my seat and up to the front of seat. I simply plug in and ride, this doesn't take a hit on my battery an it allows me to ride in 30 degrees. I ride my bike to work so it can get really cold here, it works like an electric blanket...I love them...
    Red Spyder

Spyder Garage

Default Coaxial Connectors

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack
    Jack - I use www.Warmnsafe.com products and you can buy these coaxial connectors on their website. For my passenger heated gear I needed a 15 amp circuit wired directly to the battery to handle jacket liner, pants and gloves (too much amperage for fuse block). I went into the left side, at rear of bike in an existing 3/4" hole that is there for the optional BRP Communication system. Warm and Safe panel mounted coaxial socket SKU: 71478001 + Warm and Safe battery harness with 15 amp in-line fuse -SKU: 71000005 which is 5' long and has ring terminals on the end for connection to the battery posts.. The socket and battery harness will connect together with a coaxial connection underneath the tupperware.

For rider heated gear I only needed a 10 amp circuit to handle jacket liner only and I wired this to a FZ-1 Fuze Block. For that one, I mounted it at the left side, at front of bike, in ventilation insert of left top side panel. Connected another coaxial outlet to a Warm and Safe female jack with open wire end SKU: 71000400 and then wired to the fuse block. Black wire with rib is +, black wire smooth is -.
    2015 RT-S SE6 Red Pearl - aka "Ruby"
    Tri-Axis handlebars - Bajaron Sway Bar and Heim Links - Roadster Renovations Spring Stiffeners & Top Case mirror - Value Accessories 3 pc. Lid Net Set - Lidlox Helmet Holders - JT's Dash Mount Bar - Drink2go rider & passenger cupholder - Wolo Bad Boy Horn - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - 12V power & heated gear ports - Spyderpops missing belt guard - BRP Trailer Hitch - Gold Plug hex head drain plugs

Spyder Garage

Default Went the cheap way

This site is awesome!
    Years ago I bought Ski over pants, they work surprising well.

Spyder Garage

I carry all of the Firstgear heated gear. Firstgear uses the Warm & Safe products. Good stuff. If there is anything you need let me know. You can PM me or email me at fyredad@hotmail.com

My pricing is too low to advertise so we have to do it this way.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I carry all of the Firstgear heated gear. Firstgear uses the Warm & Safe products. Good stuff. If there is anything you need let me know. You can PM me or email me at fyredad@hotmail.com

My pricing is too low to advertise so we have to do it this way.
    Your First Gear Warm and Safe Glove Liners are Great with Great Service and easy to install the wires under the F3 rear seat. Nice because you can use Thin gloves over the liners if its in the 50's and Thicker Over Gloves as it gets colder. These and my First Gear thermal suit is All I need for winter!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Heated gear

Take a look at EXO2 the heat inside. http://www.exo2theheatinside.com/
    I have only ridden in weather in the low 20s. I stop riding when the highway dept. starts dumping salt.

There gear does not use wires to heat.
    I looked at many manufacturers of heated clothing and needed something that drew very low amperage.
    At the time I was riding a 1984 Goldwing with a 360 watt alternator.
    Hooked up two vests and two sets of gloves on the wing and had plenty of power to operate the heated gear and
    all the power requirements to operate the bike.