Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...just don't ride through a pack of June Bugs!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm with you - I wear something similar that I recently picked up at a bike show. High Viz, mesh with 2 liners. It's good from 30F to over 80F. I always wear the mesh jacket, modular helmet, gloves, boots and full length jeans. Sure it gets hot when you are stopped - but then it cools off really fast when you hit 40 plus MPH.

I like the saying "dress for the slide, not for the ride." - thanks for posting that mrfats.

Plus my wife catches me without the protective gear, she will shoot me - and I was born with enough holes in my body, i don't need more.

B.

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    This is what I just got and like it. It's been in the 100s here and it works. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...le_jacket.html This is a discontinued model, so act quickly, normally $180

Also a cooling vest is on the way.

Spyder Garage

Default modern materials are cooler

Most people won't believe you can actually ride cooler with a modern jacket with the liners removed vs. a tee shirt alone. The jacket reflects the sun's heat off the material and air passes freely through today's high tech riding gear. Sadly, this only applies to the bike actually moving. We all suffer in traffic.

TE=Bob Denman;991267]
    TourMaster Mesh Jacket, Full-face helmet, Diamond Gusset Kevlar jeans, Joe Rocket leather gloves...
    (I will sometimes ditch the boots, for a pair of Hi-Tops... )[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Hello beadaholic: as you can see, the subject of gear brings up a very lively discussion. We always hear from the ATGATT (all the gear, all the time) folks, and we hear from the other side of the fence--little to no gear when its hot.

For me, I am a proponent of ATGATT. I do what is right for me and let others do their own thing.

Always, always, always I wear boots, helmet, and gloves.

Pants vary from Kevlar jeans to textile gear (sometimes liners added), chaps, and I even have a pair of Revit leather pants.

Jackets vary from lightweight/padded mesh, perforated leather, heavy leather/vented if needed, and textile with liners and vents.

Unlike Mexico, we experience the full gamut of weather. I ride from 30 degrees to 80 degrees, so miss out on the plus 100 temperatures that many encounter.

I did drive a in Hawaii during 96 degree temperatures. That was a bit of an ordeal for the both of us. Had helmet, gloves, boots, and jeans. I confess, the jacket and the gloves were off by the end of the ride. Most of our ride was done on the Hana Highway--25 mph and much less for over 50 miles. Other highway speeds made it up to 50. In town traffic about 35. Pretty much no one, was geared up ATGATT. Even the big bike drivers were wearing flip flops, shorts, tees or bare back, no helmets or gloves. The guy from the rental agency even gave us a funny look when we asked for helmets.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

This is what works for me out here in the 110 - 115 desert.

Under Armour heat gear long sleeve tee, if really needed ad a cooling vest UNDER the tee.
    Canvas boot.
    Lighter weight gloves.
    Lighter weight denim jeans, chinos, or tan colored jeans.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by beadaholic View Post
    I live in HOT weather, I felt obliged to buy the leather jacket, leather chaps, boots and gloves (helmet of course) for my new Spyder. My only issue is I am going to cook in this outfit. I am wondering if anyone thinks that our 3 wheel bike can be used with less industrial clothing? What do you wear mostly? Does anyone actually worry about being in an accident like I am? I am 55 and it is a worry, being older now, female and doing this all alone (don't have a riding partner/husband/buddy or girlfriend) to ride with and never have owned a motorcycle before. Is just jeans ok? With a regular T shirt? Or do I need the leather like I bought? I love my new motorcycle outfit, it is so cool and makes me look cool and stand out, but really my thoughts were on protection. The boots are River Road with steel inside, specifically motorcycle boots. But the heat factor scares me a bit. Anyway, love to hear what you wear....btw I live in a little tiny village, and I will wear anything in the village, even flip flops (yikes), mini skirt...haha, and get all the men googling me, but it is a tiny village after all....I am already a rebel here, a woman with a motorcycle has never happened here! haha, oh well....

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I also live in the northeast we get our hot weather in the months of June, July, August, so I wear a full face helmet( ZOX with built-in sun shades) Short sleeve or Sleeveless shirt ( sometimes with sun screen lotion on) long pants jeans, Boots over the ankles, I also wear the above when I go to work @ 4:30 am minus the sun screen.

In the fall cooler weather, Can Am Jacket with liner and fleece jacket or hooded sweat shirt , gloves that cover wrist with Kevlar in the knuckles, Can-Am pants over jeans ( with mesh inside and on knees) the jacket and pants have reflective piping on them. Boots with heavy socks. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up cooling vest

Just purchased a cooling vest. It arrived today and will easily fit under my Joe Rocket full mesh jacket. Also have mesh gloves ( leather palm, ext.) Otherwise it's jeans,boots, helmet, armoured jacket.

Road rash will cause::::
    Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which one did you get?
    Do you have a link to their website?

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

http://www.froggtoggs.com/cooling/chilly-sport.html

Frogg Toggs makes a "Chilly Pad" you can wear over your neck that definitely cools you down when you're moving on the bike. Works well under a mesh jacket.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Amazon!!!

Hi Bob,

Go to Amazon and type in "Chill-its" it is #6665 but they have others.
    Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I wear a mesh jacket that has a removable liner. It has full protective pads in the arms, upper back, and lower back. I'm guilty of riding in my tennis shoes once in a while, but I will not ride without my helmet, gloves, and pants.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Some of these "summer" ryding outfits sound like perfect entries for the Darwin Awards!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They can be...
    That's why I learned from this movie, to NOT take Summertime protection lightly...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I ride in Texas and it get a little warm here also. I would suggest that leathers in the kind of heat Mexico and Texas gets is not really a good idea. There is too much chance of heat stroke it doesn't breath or let air in. If you are riding in an area that has a good bit of traffic then I would suggest armored mesh jacket, armored mesh gloves canvas boots or at least some boots that allow your feet to breath, jeans and a helmet that has vents. I also wear Cool Bandana like ...
    http://www.amazon.com/Bandanna-SCARF...ol+neckerchief
    You just soak it in water and as the water evaporates it cools you down.

If you are riding on back country roads as I do a lot with little or no traffic then at least a long sleeve cotton shirt to keep the sun off you and to absorb your sweat so it can evaporate and cool you skipping the jacket or just have the jacket with you in the frunk.

Lots of water.

Spyder Garage

Tourmasters Transitions 3 four seasons jacket. Icon mesh gloves for the summer months. Tourmasters pants if I'm riding on the highway, jeans otherwise. Boots usually and Scorpion full face helmet always.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mesh pants, go commando... nice and cool!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Mesh pants, go commando... nice and cool!
    Just a kool vest and essential wet bandana around the neck . Beaded bandanas stay wet longer. Super light and vented fly fishing shirts over the vest when over one hundred degrees. Here in AZ it is not advised to where to much ATGAT above 100 degrees. Temps here in Tucson and Tombstone frequently get up to 120 degrees. Drink lots of water and don't let the sun touch you anywhere. Helmut always.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I am so thankful for all the great insight and info!

Today I am officially insured (YAY!!!) not for anything more than Medical and Theft. But at least that is something.

I also rode to a place 1 hour away, rode around and did things for about 1 hour (went to Costco, pool store for chemicals, office depot) everything fit nicely in my motorcycle! Rode back for another hour, so a total of 3 hours! Wore my leather stuff, and low and behold, did not die from heat! It was very hot indeed, sweated alot, but took the jacket off in Costco and the Office Depot (AIR CONDITIONING!) had my insulated cup with ice tea in it, drank it all, and felt very confident in the heavy traffic for the first time. Had a harley come up on me and he gave me the thumbs up big time and nodded his head at me! He rode with me a little while haha, made me feel good. A man at Costco came up to me and threw a fit about how gorgeous the motorcycle is, and then turned to me to say I was even more gorgeous in my leather outfit haha, made my day! Very handsome too! yikes! At Office Depot a little guy that helps you park and back out came up to me and said he never seen a motorcycle this big before, and OHHHHHHHHHHHH your jacket is leather, your pants too!! Oh your boots too haha, Are you a Movie Star or something? haha, again made my day! I am such an oddity here, being I am blond (almost all grey now though) and a white girl....haha. Some people were driving and filming me as they passed by haha, that was scary a tad...because one of them swerved around a bit.....the police all slowed down to let me pass, then sped up to get back in front, then slowed down again! haha, I guess this is what I will be causing from now on....haha. Anyway, this was my first big trip on it, and it was exciting and fulfilling for me..

Mesh gear will be ordered in the next day or two....just so I have that for shorter trips around here, and the leather for going to Mexico City which can be cold actually....my left hand is tired, tired, tired....the clutch is just hard on me, now if I can figure out how to make the ipod go to another folder....ugg I am sick of that first folder now! haha

I appreciate so much all the help guys and gals! It is so helpful! The two pictures are of me leaving my house today on my first long trip. Yippie!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I am so thankful for all the great insight and info!

Today I am officially insured (YAY!!!) not for anything more than Medical and Theft. But at least that is something.

I also rode to a place 1 hour away, rode around and did things for about 1 hour (went to Costco, pool store for chemicals, office depot) everything fit nicely in my motorcycle! Rode back for another hour, so a total of 3 hours! Wore my leather stuff, and low and behold, did not die from heat! It was very hot indeed, sweated alot, but took the jacket off in Costco and the Office Depot (AIR CONDITIONING!) had my insulated cup with ice tea in it, drank it all, and felt very confident in the heavy traffic for the first time. Had a harley come up on me and he gave me the thumbs up big time and nodded his head at me! He rode with me a little while haha, made me feel good. A man at Costco came up to me and threw a fit about how gorgeous the motorcycle is, and then turned to me to say I was even more gorgeous in my leather outfit haha, made my day! Very handsome too! yikes! At Office Depot a little guy that helps you park and back out came up to me and said he never seen a motorcycle this big before, and OHHHHHHHHHHHH your jacket is leather, your pants too!! Oh your boots too haha, Are you a Movie Star or something? haha, again made my day! I am such an oddity here, being I am blond (almost all grey now though) and a white girl....haha. Some people were driving and filming me as they passed by haha, that was scary a tad...because one of them swerved around a bit.....the police all slowed down to let me pass, then sped up to get back in front, then slowed down again! haha, I guess this is what I will be causing from now on....haha. Anyway, this was my first big trip on it, and it was exciting and fulfilling for me..

Mesh gear will be ordered in the next day or two....just so I have that for shorter trips around here, and the leather for going to Mexico City which can be cold actually....my left hand is tired, tired, tired....the clutch is just hard on me, now if I can figure out how to make the ipod go to another folder....ugg I am sick of that first folder now! haha

I appreciate so much all the help guys and gals! It is so helpful! The two pictures are of me leaving my house today on my first long trip. Yippie!
    A little advice: get rid of the Black clothes and Black jacket. They draw too much heat. White Helmut and light colored clothing work best in the sun and heat.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I live in HOT weather, I felt obliged to buy the leather jacket, leather chaps, boots and gloves (helmet of course) for my new Spyder. My only issue is I am going to cook in this outfit. I am wondering if anyone thinks that our 3 wheel bike can be used with less industrial clothing? What do you wear mostly? Does anyone actually worry about being in an accident like I am? I am 55 and it is a worry, being older now, female and doing this all alone (don't have a riding partner/husband/buddy or girlfriend) to ride with and never have owned a motorcycle before. Is just jeans ok? With a regular T shirt? Or do I need the leather like I bought? I love my new motorcycle outfit, it is so cool and makes me look cool and stand out, but really my thoughts were on protection. The boots are River Road with steel inside, specifically motorcycle boots. But the heat factor scares me a bit. Anyway, love to hear what you wear....btw I live in a little tiny village, and I will wear anything in the village, even flip flops (yikes), mini skirt...haha, and get all the men googling me, but it is a tiny village after all....I am already a rebel here, a woman with a motorcycle has never happened here! haha, oh well....
    i wear a Can-Am mesh jacket, jeans, Vietnam era jungle boots and of course my trusty HJC modular helmet with all vents open. I fully agree with the poster that said "enjoy the ride, but dress for the slide"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    A little advice: get rid of the Black clothes and Black jacket. They draw too much heat. White Helmut and light colored clothing work best in the sun and heat.

Jack
    Lighter colors tend to reflect heat, while darker colors absorb it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Everyone is going to tell you to gear up. You have to do what works best for you.
    Personally, I wear cargo shorts, a tshirt, and sneakers in the summer on the spyder. On 2 wheels I swap the shorts for jeans. However, I'm rarely without a full face helmet. Again, do what works best for you!
    Summer time is shorts,T-shirt,sneakers and a full face helmet.Did it on my RS for years and now the RT

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Almost as good as an octane or oil thread!!
    Summer..mesh jacket and gloves....and mesh overpants on top of the jeans. Jeans last for zip point zero on a slide, and have no padding for impact. In my deer encounter I experienced most of the bad things, hit the deer, slid the pavement, and was hit by the flipping bike. My collarbone was crushed by the bike but the heavy padding in the mesh jacket kept it from being worse. The only rash was my legs/knees because I wore jeans, divot out of one knee is still there. Lack of hip padding from the mesh overpants I wasn't wearing make me walk funny.

Wear what you want. Some days I still do jeans and a t-shirt. I know the risks, just know what the risks are. Jeans look good, they don't do ****.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hot weather clothing

Ok
    No one is that amazing! My young HOT daughter rides a motor cycle. Always wears proper clothing.
    I ride a spyder,

If you visit a COLUMBIA clothing store/outlet, you should check out the shirts,that will keep you cool under a jacket.
    Material is called Omni Wick.
    It works
    Better to wear proper clothing than having an accident that does not allow proper identification of the body.

Spyder Garage

Default I Wear Eye Protection

In Pennsylvania, where I live, the only legal requirement for what one must wear while riding a motorcycle, is eye protection. Anything other than that, I guess, is at the rider's discretion.

From "Waking Ned Devine" - one of the funniest movies I have ever watched.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat