Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What do you wear on your Spyder? In HOT weather?

I live in HOT weather, I felt obliged to buy the leather jacket, leather chaps, boots and gloves (helmet of course) for my new Spyder. My only issue is I am going to cook in this outfit. I am wondering if anyone thinks that our 3 wheel bike can be used with less industrial clothing? What do you wear mostly? Does anyone actually worry about being in an accident like I am? I am 55 and it is a worry, being older now, female and doing this all alone (don't have a riding partner/husband/buddy or girlfriend) to ride with and never have owned a motorcycle before. Is just jeans ok? With a regular T shirt? Or do I need the leather like I bought? I love my new motorcycle outfit, it is so cool and makes me look cool and stand out, but really my thoughts were on protection. The boots are River Road with steel inside, specifically motorcycle boots. But the heat factor scares me a bit. Anyway, love to hear what you wear....btw I live in a little tiny village, and I will wear anything in the village, even flip flops (yikes), mini skirt...haha, and get all the men googling me, but it is a tiny village after all....I am already a rebel here, a woman with a motorcycle has never happened here! haha, oh well....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I might recommend a summer vented riding jacket... it has armored to protect elbows, lumbar and other important parts of your upper body... I always ride with boots... if you injure an ankle just getting around is compromised.. armored gloves are also on my list to wear as well as full face helmet.. yes it does get hot & uncomfortable in the summer, but a skin graft starts at $10,000.. not to mention the pain.. riding is fun... we are not able to choose a time to get in an accident.. so every time you ride... protect the parts of your body you prefer not to injure..

osm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They make mesh jackets with the armor in the right places. Mesh gloves the same way. Check you helmet for cooling slots, they may be hard to find. Boots yes. Long pants at a minimum. Long trips or just because, like heavy traffic, they also make mesh riding pants.
    Make sure you stay hydrated. If you are not thirty or do not have to go to the bathroom, you should have gotten a drink a long time ago. All kinds of idea to take water with you. Not doing so can make you pass out. I probably drink a liter of water or more every couple hours
    Good luck and have fun
    Oldmanzues

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Always have your arms, legs and ankles covered. Wear your boots, or at least something that comes up over your ankles. For the hottest times, I use a mesh jacket. I don't envy you being in Mexico for summer ryding. I recently bought a Hyperkewl evaporative vest. I'll wear it under my mesh jacket and hope it will help keep the heat away in the worst of the day.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Everyone is going to tell you to gear up. You have to do what works best for you.
    Personally, I wear cargo shorts, a tshirt, and sneakers in the summer on the spyder. On 2 wheels I swap the shorts for jeans. However, I'm rarely without a full face helmet. Again, do what works best for you!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Check out Bohn riding gear, they've got jackets and pants made of mesh with armor, and mesh underwear with armor that works under regular clothes.

john

Spyder Garage

Default Hot weather clothing

The best protection is a company name Motorsport check out my their website www.motorport.com their items are not inexpensive

Spyder Garage

I just bought one of the HyperKewl Cooling Female Deluxe Sport Vest for me! I think this will help greatly under the jacket! I will check out all the other advice as well. And the other places to see more gear. I know I need at least 1 outfit that has mesh in it, and well some armour is probably good too...I truly appreciate everyone on this site! Thank YOU!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In hot weather, it's even more important to cover up. Not only for protection but to avoid the wind and heat dehydrating you. I've seen some biker "chicks" with too many years on a bike wearing nothing but a tank top and a bandana - you wouldn't want your skin to look like old baseball glove leather. Cover up.

A light cotton under layer (or something wicking like Under Armor heat gear) covered with a mesh jacket will work fine. Go with silver or white, light colors reflect some of the heat. There are short mesh riding gloves with knuckle protection that work great without being hot. Same for the pants, mesh with armor in a light color. For the feet however, I find anything less than nylon/leather hiking boots let in too much heat from the Spyder's exhaust.

I once rode around (in a small holiday town) wearing shorts, t-shirt and sneakers; the heat from the Spyder almost toasted my ankles and calves! Jeans and day-hikers for me from then on!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Light colored Mesh jacket with armor, Boots, full fingered mesh gloves, helmet (mine is black, but might switch to a lighter color when it is due) and jeans. I usually stay pretty cool while moving.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wear what you want! It is a free country after all. We ride with sneakers, jeans and we wear a mesh jacket until it hits the 80's. Then a t shirt, but always a helmet. I cannot keep armour on when it is hot. It is too uncomfortable, I would rather drive the truck instead. Wear what works for you.

Spyder Garage

Post Summer Wear

I agree with all who recommended wearing mesh materials such as a mess jacket, I also wear jeans to protect my legs and boots to protect my feet and ankles.
    I think people who don't wear proper attire while riding are taking a big risk. Although the risks are lowered on a Spyder to drop your bike you must be careful of the caggers (cars) who don't see motorcycles when they drive using their cell phones.

Blade

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like what I read on here a couple yeas ago, "dress for the slide, not for the ride." I'd at least like to keep road rash to a minimum...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mesh jacket, jeans, and paddock sport boots summer weight [vented]. Never could wear them lumberjack boots, makes it a bitch to shift.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wear: Mesh motorcycle jacket with full armor, kevlar lined summer weight pants, leather mesh motorcycle gloves with Knuckle and palm added protection, leather high motorcycle boots and full face helmet with sun shade.
    Last edited by BeRight; 06-11-2015 at 10:08 PM.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Around town I wear jeans and a mesh jacket. On long trips in the heat I wear BRP mesh pants and a mesh jacket or if it is really hot and dry I wear a textile jacket with a cool vest underneath. I always wear boots, as someone else said you will cook your feet and ankles if you don't. Modular helmet with a Heat Out skull cap.

Revzilla is a good site to shop for motorcycle gear, they often do video reviews of the products they sell.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Full face helmet,shorts,shoes,gloves and icon regulator armored vest.

Spyder Garage

I live in the Northeast, and I know it doesn't get as hot around here like in the southern states, but I try to wear all the protective gear most of the time. I wear a full face modular helmet, textile jacket and riding pants along with riding boots and gloves. In the hotter spring and summer months, I take the insulated lining out of the riding pants, which have mesh panels on them to allow more air flow. I have a textile Canam jacket that I open the vents on and mesh gloves for the summer as well.

Spyder Garage

Somebody once told me to only cover up what you want to keep.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is what I just got and like it. It's been in the 100s here and it works. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...le_jacket.html This is a discontinued model, so act quickly, normally $180

Also a cooling vest is on the way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lots of great tech clothing on the market, today, like HeatGear by UnderArmor, and Heat-Out by Cycle Gear. I wear long sleeve tech shirts and a leather vest. My Nolan N-104 has plenty of venting, but I wear a Turtle Fur Comfort Shell Biker Cap under my helmet, that I wet down. The air moving through the helmet helps provide evaporative cooling. I also wear shorts under mesh riding pants when it is oppressively hot (90's and above) . . . the other key is hydration . . . drink, drink, drink!
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    I might recommend a summer vented riding jacket... it has armored to protect elbows, lumbar and other important parts of your upper body... I always ride with boots... if you injure an ankle just getting around is compromised.. armored gloves are also on my list to wear as well as full face helmet.. yes it does get hot & uncomfortable in the summer, but a skin graft starts at $10,000.. not to mention the pain.. riding is fun... we are not able to choose a time to get in an accident.. so every time you ride... protect the parts of your body you prefer not to injure..

osm
    plus 1 well said

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding gear

I have worked in the emergency department for over 30 years and have seen some nasty motorcycle injuries. Wear what you want but be prepared to suffer the consequences. I've seen road rash to the bone, well actually into the bone, and on the other hand I've seen some critically injured bikers in full gear that getting to them can be a challenge because of all the protective gear.

I own the protective gear and wear it when the weather allows but heat wins out. In hot weather I wear a half helmet with leather occipital and ear protection, sun glasses, gloves, short sleeve shirt with sun screen or a long sleeve cotton shirt, comfortable cool shoes, and jeans. Almost worse than road rash is that asphalt is extremely hot and will burn your skin quickly even with protective clothing.
    Last edited by jwood4242; 06-13-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

Cool

I'm a fairly new rider also, getting gear with armor and vents from Aerostich. Luckily for me they are made in Duluth, which is great for driving over to look and try on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McMillenG View Post
    Somebody once told me to only cover up what you want to keep.

TourMaster Mesh Jacket, Full-face helmet, Diamond Gusset Kevlar jeans, Joe Rocket leather gloves...
    (I will sometimes ditch the boots, for a pair of Hi-Tops... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black