Spyder Garage

Default Cluster replaced, told could not tranfer existing data.

Had my instrument cluster replaced today and was told that the existing odometer reading could not be transferred to new cluster. Is that actually correct? Seem it would almost be a legal requirement to ensure that the information was correct for future sale. Anyone have an idea what the actual situation is?
    Regards
    Ross

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Had my instrument cluster replaced today and was told that the existing odometer reading could not be transferred to new cluster. Is that actually correct? Seem it would almost be a legal requirement to ensure that the information was correct for future sale. Anyone have an idea what the actual situation is?
    Regards
    Ross
    Mine was replaced and the mileage was not set to the existing mileage, it was at zero. I do have a sticker attached under the seat indicating the mileage the speedo was changed.
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Spyder Garage

Regards
    Ross
    Yes same with mine. It was reset to 0 and a sticker put under the seat.

Spyder Garage

Same here, had mine replaced at 53226 miles, and the new cluster read 0....but what was weird was that it transfered the hours of operation and not the mileage....the onboard computer will keep track of the mileage though and it will show true mileage when hooked up to BUDS.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm guessing...
    But it might have to do with some sort of Federal statute regarding odometer tampering...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Same Here!!!

Regards
    Ross
    I also had the same thing happen back in 2011. I had just reached 1000 miles so it is not to hard to remember the total mileage but does seem odd!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Yes and Yes.
    I had my cluster replaced on my 2010 at about 12,500 miles.
    When I traded it in for my NEW 2014, I had to sign a disclosure statement adding those miles to the total for the Spyder.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I think Ohio titles have a block on them: original miles or Altered miles. do not remember if a reason was asked or not.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Odometer tampering is the reason for not allowing mileage to be entered into a new or existing odometer--IMO.

Disclosure at the time of sale or trade is then necessary.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

but all new clusters come with the odometer at zero and can not be reset. Some clusters total hours also stop at some point but the computer still registers the correct hours...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

i would think that the dealer can give you a form with the original millage on it as they do when you buy a new or used car
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Timely post, seeing as somehow/somewhere/somewhen I seem to have developed a crack in my cluster face, just big enough to let moisture seep in.

Eh, I'll worry about it when it no longer works.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Timely post, seeing as somehow/somewhere/somewhen I seem to have developed a crack in my cluster face, just big enough to let moisture seep in.

try using some super glue on the crack, it dries clear and will stop the moisture from going in
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

Why don't you replace it? The new lens comes with a new gasket for 20 bucks. Should take less than 1/2 hr.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

how do we get the cluster out, i tried and was not figuring out how to do it after taking off the black panel
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Regards
    Ross
    The same thing happened with my first Spyder. I just had the dealer write a short note on their letterhead stating what happened and at what odometer reading.

Spyder Garage

Default Different outlook.

Folks,
    I was looking at the same problem from a different side. Comes with living Downunder I guess. You are right it would open up a minefield it odometer could be rewritten by BUDS.
    On another note when I was riding home after the cluster change over I tried to adjust the rear suspension and came up with a fault that shows as the adjustment is in manual mode. Took it back and the tech allowed me to watch and assist as he had to set the ACS sensor low and high limits. My assist was sitting on the pillion seat.
    Now all is good.

Thanks
    Ross