Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT Fire, 26 July 2014

It only takes looking at my past posts to see I've had heat issues with my Spyder since the day I got it. I took it to the dealer, talked to BRP reps including Carlos, and spent thousands trying to fix the heat and fumes and had the recall and updates done. Well today my Spyder caught fire while I was riding it and now it's burnt to a crisp.

It was about 95-100 degrees outside, cool for the southern California desert. I had been riding for about 30 minutes with the cruise set to 65. I smelled burning plastic and saw smoke behind me when I looked into the rear mirrors. I pulled over into the soft shoulder in a hurry (thank god I didn't flip when I hit the sand), hit the kill switch and got off. A small amount of smoke was rising from under the seat. I turned the key and lifted the seat, and then what I can only describe as a fireball whooshed up and sent me running. There were a few people on the road but no one was hurt. The fire department got there quick but after just a few minutes it was a ball of flames. Thankfully my wife was at work and not riding with me.

If I had ridden another 30 minutes I would have been an hour from help. I have a lot of pictures and videos. I'll post a few here but I'm going to hold off on posting the video on youtube until I talk to my insurance company, lawyers, and then BRP. You know, the whole reason I went from 2 wheels to 3 was to be safer. What a joke. I'm fine, but furious.

Last edited by Dat Guy; 07-27-2014 at 03:29 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow, I know exactly how you feel. In fact last weekend I went past the scene of my fire and saw the scorch mark still on the highway shoulder. Glad you weren't injured. Keep us informed on what you hear from BRP, etc.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes..!!

truly sorry but very glad you were able to keep a cool head and get to safety...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Glad you're safe!! Not the first of these tho...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Was just a matter of time.

Glad you're OK.

Doubt we'll hear much more from you or how it works out for you. Attorneys and all. Best of luck
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 05-07-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

This community has been very helpful. I will update you all on what happens as things progress at the very least.

Registered Users
    Tri Cities of Apple Valley, Hesperia, Victorville
    Spyder Garage

Default Yikes

Wowser!!! Glad you're OK!

Registered Users Top End Unlimited's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fire !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so glad you are ok and can think on your feet. I just bought mine and I know there have been fires, but that scares the hell out of me. Good luck in getting this resolved. Just think, now you get a new one. Couldn't happen twice !

Spyder Garage

............those are amazing, scary pictures. Glad to here that you are safe and still with us!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This sounds as if it's going to have to be a very interesting dance...
    Your insurance (Assuming that you have physical damage coverage), will pay the Actual cash value of the bike...
    But since it's still under warranty... will BRP just bite the bullet, and offer you a new bike?

Good luck!

Oh! I'm also glad that you escaped harm!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Glad you are safe and thank you for sharing. Important to know how frequently this is occurring. Hope your settlement goes without problems.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For the record; that was a 2013?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FIRE

.............I am thanking the Powers that be you are OK and un-hurt ( physically ) at least.....This is another example of the band-aids not working..........there may be a silver lining though....At least that Spyder is HISTORY and can't hurt anyone else.............annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnd you should be able to a new one .......I highly recommend the one with the 1330 Ace engine in it .............again glad you are OK...........Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Please file a complaint with NHTSA. These events need to be on record with them. If anyone remembers, an RT burned a couple of years ago at a BRP event. Something has to be done about these very dangerous machines.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/

You were lucky to have survived, and really glad that you did. Unfortunately, I think that we have not seen the last of this.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wow....that is very scary! Glad you are okay.

Are you able to tell us what heat mods were done on your RT?

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    It only takes looking at my past posts to see I've had heat issues with my Spyder since the day I got it. I took it to the dealer, talked to BRP reps including Carlos, and spent thousands trying to fix the heat and fumes and had the recall and updates done. Well today my Spyder caught fire while I was riding it and now it's burnt to a crisp.

It was about 95-100 degrees outside, cool for the southern California desert. I had been riding for about 30 minutes with the cruise set to 65. I smelled burning plastic and saw smoke behind me when I looked into the rear mirrors. I pulled over into the soft shoulder in a hurry (thank god I didn't flip when I hit the sand), hit the kill switch and got off. A small amount of smoke was rising from under the seat. I turned the key and lifted the seat, and then what I can only describe as a fireball whooshed up and sent me running. There were a few people on the road but no one was hurt. The fire department got there quick but after just a few minutes it was a ball of flames. Thankfully my wife was at work and not riding with me.

If I had ridden another 30 minutes I would have been an hour from help. I have a lot of pictures and videos. I'll post a few here but I'm going to hold off on posting the video on youtube until I talk to my insurance company, lawyers, and then BRP. You know, the whole reason I went from 2 wheels to 3 was to be safer. What a joke. I'm fine, but furious.

Spyder Garage

Wow, glad you are OK. Very sorry to see this. That's 4 2013's that I am aware of. Hmmmmmm......

Ann's
    BRP Event
    One at a gas station in TX but did not burn up completely.
    Now this one.

Hoping for the best outcome for you! Please keep us informed when you can.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Please file a complaint with NHTSA. These events need to be on record with them. If anyone remembers, an RT burned a couple of years ago at a BRP event. Something has to be done about these very dangerous machines.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/
    Let them know about it...

"Dangerous machines"??

Realizing that even one may be more than sufficient; how many have actually burned?
    Your statement appears more designed to incite; than solve...
    It reeks of hyperbole.

Spyder Garage

Also what is going to be interesting I think is it sound like you made mods to the Spyder for heat other than BRP's recall. I hope this does not get in the way of resolution with BRP! I am sure many will want to hear the final outcome. Again glad your safe!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that no one got hurt. So sorry to see another Spyder fire and BRP needs to get this resolved before someone gets hurt! It also doesn't help the Spyder reputation!
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

I have had dealings with Carlo regarding heat issues, boiling gas, etc. and I do not like him. He is condescending, and just spouts the company line. I have never been able to get a straight answer out of him and I would bet that anyone who has dealt with him would feel the same way. BRP is great at keep their head in the sand, and terrible about everything else when it comes to customer service - as in there is none. Good luck with your dealings with them, and I hope that all is resolved to your satisfaction. Also, really glad you were uninjured. A machine can be replaced, but you cannot.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I am truly glad you were not injured.

I believe BRP has resolved much of the heat issue under the Tupperware with the ECM update back in March . . . at least mine seems to not get so hot under the seat and around the glove box.

That said, many parts that are subject to deterioration, like plastic purge valves, hoses, et al, are very likely compromised and more subject to failure than had they not been exposed to the heat that was prevalent prior to the update. BRP should bite the bullet and replace those parts before someone is seriously injured or killed. While the cost will be high to do that, the cost of a single successful wrongful death lawsuit would far exceed the cost of a parts replacement recall.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Let them know about it...

"Dangerous machines"??

Realizing that even one may be more than sufficient; how many have actually burned?
    Your statement appears more designed to incite; than solve...
    It reeks of hyperbole.
    Now at least four that I know of. Not trying to incite anyone, just stating what is known to be true. Take a look at the complaints about the 2013 RT's on the NHTSA site. You will find that almost all are complaints about people getting burned, excess heat, boiling gasoline, and more. Are these people trying to incite? I think not. They are simply reporting known issues in the hope that BRP may wake up & get serious about fixing what many of the complainants refer to as "dangerous machines". It is my hope that no one is injured or worse when the next one burns.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default scary!

So sorry that this happened to you. Glad you're OK.
    What's it going to take for BRP to address this? A life lost?
    Paula

Maryland
    2014 ST Limited SE5
    Prior bikes: 1998 Yamaha Silverado 650, 2003 Harley Heritage, 2003 Yamaha 1100

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post

Something has to be done about these very dangerous machines.

Are you serious? Spyder a very DANGEROUS machine?

Accident happen....

I am glad he is unhurt... and safe.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Glad You're OK

So glad you had the presence of mind to handle the situation in a way that kept you safe. Please keep us posted on progress. Even though this was a terrible event I hope it hasn't soured you to the Spyder experience, and that you ultimately stay in the fold with a new one. If this had happened to me I'm not sure what I would do.