Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind blast

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Wind blast

Hey everyone! I've had my new Spyder RS-S for about a week now and I'm loving it, with one exception. I took it on the highway for about a 50 mile round trip yesterday and it was NOT fun! That being said, keep in mind that I'm fairly new to motorcycles and very new to the Spyder, so maybe it's something in my riding style. I had never taken my motorcycle on the highway, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I was getting hammered by the wind blast. Not so much from front to back, but more from side to side. It was a fairly windy evening, but nothing too crazy, so I don't think it was abnormal wind conditions. My body was getting pushed from side to side enough to make me kind of nervous. I'm a 6' tall 180 pound guy, so I shouldn't be having this problem, in my opinion. Is this common??? It made me wonder how a motorcycle rider could handle it and stay balanced. Something's not right!!! Haha!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately; it's more llike something that you need to get acclimated to...
    You're no longer in a "cage", and you have far less protection from wind gusts...
    Try tucking your knees in against the tank; it'll help keep you from getting moved around on the bike so much!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply! I tried using my knees and I even tucked down a bit. It wasn't just an annoying blast in the face. It literally felt like my body was getting moved from side to side. So much so that I started white knuckling the grips after a while. I was starting to wonder if my alignment was off, because the movement seemed excessive. Maybe I just need to man-up, but it was an eye opener and made me think I'd never take a two wheeler on the highway. There was one section that was under construction and the speeds were about 55 mph and I didn't have a problem there, but as soon as I got over 60 mph I really noticed it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try taking some time, and work your way up to the highway speeds... That may help!

Spyder Garage

Sounds normal to me. Wind gusts take some getting used to, it takes a little time, but you learn to accept them. They can be a real hoot on two...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Darwood View Post
    Hi Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply! I tried using my knees and I even tucked down a bit. It wasn't just an annoying blast in the face. It literally felt like my body was getting moved from side to side. So much so that I started white knuckling the grips after a while. I was starting to wonder if my alignment was off, because the movement seemed excessive. Maybe I just need to man-up, but it was an eye opener and made me think I'd never take a two wheeler on the highway. There was one section that was under construction and the speeds were about 55 mph and I didn't have a problem there, but as soon as I got over 60 mph I really noticed it.

White knuckles are a bad sign. You have to ease off the grips and let the Spyder track itself. It won't move around but you will. You exacerbate things when the grip tightens because you are moving the Spyder around whether you know it or not. That makes matters worse.

Try to imagine a bird under each hand and you need to try not to injure either one as you hold on to the grips. Feeling your body move around a bit is normal. As Bob said work up to things gradually. For most folks it takes about 500 miles to get used to the Spyder but that is if you are coming off two wheels.

Starting fresh on an RS Spyder shouldn't take as long to get the hang of it.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

If you havent already replaced the anti-sway bar and had a laser alignment, those can certainly make a difference too. You will still have the wind but it may not feel as uncontrollable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 F3 T , Liquid Titanium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tighten up your front shocks. I think all RS's have adjustable front shocks, go to the max setting. I don’t know what years yours is. This will help. You can always go to high performance shocks like Elks and even a sway bar. That will set you nice and tight on the road. If you think wind is bad on a Spyder, try it on a two wheeler !!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Time..!!

I mean it takes time. Sometimes it seems not to be as windy yet you are beat up by it. Relax and let it blow you around a bit you will be fine. You can also slow down some and/or get a different windshield for the forward blasts. We get the santa ana winds here where the freeways are closed to high profile vehilcle and the roadster manages well. There are time however we get off and ryde the side roads. Honestly we are almost always on the roads less traveled they are way more fun...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I rode 62 miles to a friend's house, who helped (I "stuporvised" . . . he worked ) to get my Baja Ron sway bar installed . . . a good part of it on I-70, near Baltimore. Weather was windy as a front was on it's way. The ride back, with the sway bar was a VERY different experience than the ride to his house, especially when the side winds gusted or semi-trailers blew by me (or I, them . . . it gets fuzzy as to which it was ) . . . it made a huge difference. I was very impressed . . . it, my laser alignment, and my highway pegs are the best, dollar for dollar, investments I've made on farkles!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

All great advice, thank you! I might have to look into the anti-sway bar if it helps that much. I'll have to ask if my dealer can do the laser alignment. I live in Ohio and I was okay on I-70 going to and from the dealer, when the wind was at my face and at my back, but with the cross wind on I-75, it was unnerving to say the least! I have the 2014 RS-S. What does it cost to buy the anti-sway bar and have it installed? As for the white knuckling, I was definitely guilty of that! I didn't do it downwind or into a head wind, but that cross wind was throwing me around quite a bit and the death grip wasn't helping.....except to help my frail psyche.....haha. I'll have to work on that. I MUCH prefer more casual back road rides, but I have to take the highway to get to the dealer, so I'll have to do it from time to time. I might have to schedule my trips for VERY calm days!

Spyder Garage

Hi Darwood,

Re: What does it cost to buy the anti-sway bar and have it installed?

It is an easy install, see here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ay-Bar-install

And you can buy it here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...rs-amp-Helmets

It only takes about 2-3 hrs and simple tools.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Some very good advice so far, especially from Double Trouble and Chupaca. I love BajaRon's swaybar and it really makes a difference but it doesn't make the wind quit blowing. It is just a fact that the wind is going to move you around. If it doesn't move the bike, it will move you - or it will move you and the bike. You just have to get used to it. It's a matter of relaxing and working with the bike and the wind and letting it move you as long as it doesn't move you too far. The worst thing you can do is to try to react to every movement. You have to make some corrections but they have to be slow and gentle. The fact is that it's much easier said than done. It takes time and practice. And, while the Spyder is much different than a two wheeler in the wind, they both require you to have confidence in their ability to move around without actually getting into trouble. Actually, it can be a lot of fun when you get the hang of it but it is also physically and mentally tiring even when you're good at it. Don't give up. You'll catch on.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

To master ryding in the wind I repeated over-and-over to myself"relax your grip". It took a few weeks, but finally my reactive brain got the message.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default takes a little time

after a while, you will react to cross winds instinctively, and no longer even think about it unless they are severe. in the meantime, try to relax. add a little air pressure in your front tires, it will help the handling. think about a taller windshield. the madstad is excellent. the ronbar is good, but not a cure-all. i think it makes a bigger difference on the rt than it does on the rs . adjust your shocks up to 5, if they aren't already. this will greatly improve the handling, while providing a decent ride. the more you ride it the better it will get.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

with Coz; relax a bit, and soon it'll seem as natural as falling off of a log... Oh wait! That's NOT a good thing to do!

Spyder Garage

We also encountered heavy crosswinds on last nights ride. (30 - 40 mph). It does take a bit of getting used to. Advice above addresses the technique well.

As new as you are, I recommend some parking lot time, then slow and twisty roads, then highway speed time. Most find it takes about 500 miles before you are comfortable. The video that came with your should be helpful.

I was a slow learner so needed almost 1500 miles to "unlearn" the two wheel ways.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default wind

Hey everyone! I've had my new Spyder RS-S for about a week now and I'm loving it, with one exception. I took it on the highway for about a 50 mile round trip yesterday and it was NOT fun! That being said, keep in mind that I'm fairly new to motorcycles and very new to the Spyder, so maybe it's something in my riding style. I had never taken my motorcycle on the highway, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I was getting hammered by the wind blast. Not so much from front to back, but more from side to side. It was a fairly windy evening, but nothing too crazy, so I don't think it was abnormal wind conditions. My body was getting pushed from side to side enough to make me kind of nervous. I'm a 6' tall 180 pound guy, so I shouldn't be having this problem, in my opinion. Is this common??? It made me wonder how a motorcycle rider could handle it and stay balanced. Something's not right!!! Haha!!!
    I have a 2013 RTS SM 5. I have over 2000 miles on it. Have ridden for over 40 years on all kinds of bikes. I cannot get used to the wind. Seriously thinking of selling the Spyder and getting another HD. Two wheelers are not affected by wind. Rode all the way thru Georgia on my HD once on I 95 over 90 MPH and never felt unsafe. Wind was gusty.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Two wheelers are not affected by wind.
    Jim
    I would respectively disagree with that statement! I can think of many times bad gusts of wind almost took me over on two wheels!

To the OP...many have said it, but it bears repeating...a light touch on the handlebars will make a huge difference when riding. Much more so than on two wheels. Learn to relax (it may take awhile) and it will make a huge difference.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RTS SM 5. I have over 2000 miles on it. Have ridden for over 40 years on all kinds of bikes. I cannot get used to the wind. Seriously thinking of selling the Spyder and getting another HD. Two wheelers are not affected by wind. Rode all the way thru Georgia on my HD once on I 95 over 90 MPH and never felt unsafe. Wind was gusty.
    Jim
    Actually 2 wheelers ARE affected by wind, just in a different way. On a 2 wheeler ever go into a hard turn/curve and have a gust of wind hit you from the side? It can actually take you into the opposing lane or off the shoulder depending on direction. That won't happen on a Spyder. Personally I have no problem with the wind or turbulence and I ride on the interstate from time to time at 70+ mph and that means riding with the big rigs. As has been said here a gazillion times - you gotta learn to relax. It's up to you of course but a HD is not the answer.

Spyder Garage

Jim
    95 mph on a Harley? Didn't realize that was possible, but then again it may be that all I see are the one's around here who think they will burst into flames if they exceed 45 mph

Spyder Garage

!
    The Baja Ron Sway Bar is a WINNER. I bought and installed it the end of April. I live in a very flat area so its was difficult to determine if I had made a worthwhile investment or wasted my money. HOWEVER, in early May, I rode the "Dragon". All I can say is WOW, what a difference. My tamed the Dragon with ease.
    Since then I have experienced some pretty windy days around home and again confirmed all that is touted about Ron's Sway Bar is fact.

That said, I will also admit, repetition truly is the mother of learning. Now that I have nearly 6000 miles on my , I hardly notice the wind as I am too busy noticing "life" as it is to be lived. ENJOY! But, be careful.

Spyder Garage

Default Wind

Since I put the new sway-bar on the wind problem has gone way down. When I was/am riding in the wind on a 2 wheeler I just lean it over a little and ride at an angle. The 1st time I went to Sturgis across Wy in a side wind almost the whole way. It got real interesting when I went thru an underpass.

Spyder Garage

RE: two wheels and the wind.

My first trip to the Badlands (SD) was on my Yamaha Venture (1984 or so). Spouse and I rode two up. We encountered terrible side winds (50+ mph). We both had to lean into the wind to keep the Venture from blowing over. IMO--I would say were affected by the wind and not immune from it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default dealer for alignment

The only dealer in Ohio for alignment as far as I know is JohnnKs powersports in lodi. Excellent dealer , only dealer I've ever had contact me to see if I was satisfied with the service.
    Alignment does make a difference .Check front shock settings and adjust to a higher setting also helps but as stated before ..................Light touch on the bars is what you need to do. Trust the spyder to do what it's supposed to do. By knuckling you are actually applying force and causing more of a swerve .