Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Just reading the service manual this morning and like skeetshooter did the bleeding sequence is:
    Left Front
    Right Front
    Rear
    VCM

They have you do all kinds of things and some I don't understand and some make sense:
    remove front wheels
    remove the calipers and position bleeder at highest point
    detach lift cylinder and passenger switch from seat
    unplug low pressure switch connector and brake light connector
    detach brake fluid reservoir and move to outside the footrest

Ah here is the note: the previous steps are required for the hoses to run completely down toward the master cylinder.

Then they go into installing clear hose on bleeder valves and bleeding the brakes...

JT
    I just read the manual. I think the sequence in removing the reservoir ios so you don't spill brake fluid on the plastic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    I just read the manual. I think the sequence in removing the reservoir ios so you don't spill brake fluid on the plastic
    When I took my 2011 RS-S SE5 for the 14,500 mile maintenance. The tech said that he had a better way to bleed the brakes. When I got the bill to pay there was a note that said there was a problem with brakes and I had to pay $500.00 more to have it done the right way. I put my Spyder on the trailer and took it to another Dealer. The Dealer that tried to screw me over is no longer in business. The power of the Internet is great.

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I haven't done my spyder yet, but there is no reason I am aware of that a mity-vac wouldn't work. They aren't that expensive if you shop around, you don't have to have anyone assist you with the job, and you can use the same tool to bleed/flush the brake systems in your other vehicle. A vacula works even faster but costs a bunch more.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did mine and did not need to use a vacuum tool. Just leave the key off after releasing the park brake and then start with the left front. Put a rubber or clear hose on the bleeder and put it in a clear container with enough brake fluid in it to cover the bottom of the hose. This will keep air out. Open the bleeder and slowly pump the brake pedal until all the dirty fluid comes out (keep filling the reservoir with fresh fluid so it doesn't run dry. Shut the bleeder and repeat at right front then the rear. You can use the vacuum if you want that should work fine as well. I had a vacuum tool but turned out not to need it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My experience with the Mitty Vac was it "sucked" too good and I kept getting tiny bubbles. Found out the bubbles were coming from the bleeder valve threads. So now I remove the valves and add a little teflon tape to the threads then put back. Never a problem after that. I have found a Motion Pro bleeder to be easy to use also. It has a one way valve.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0143/
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

This took some deep searching. Thanks....if you’re still around

Quote Originally Posted by skeetshooter View Post
    I just changed my brake fluid and bled the vcm.As long as you don't turn key on you won't get any codes.Every thing works perfect.I have a 2008 gs
    Quote Originally Posted by skeetshooter View Post
    I used 1 friend 1 quart dot 3-4.I sucked the old fluid out with a turkey baster then filled it up with new fluid.We started on left front stuck a piece of clear tubing over bleeder valve my friend worked the bleeder while i worked the brake peddle.We pump until we got clear fluid.We then did the right front then the back all the same way.Just be sure bleeder valve is closed before you let brake peddle up each time.The vcm is hard to get to, went in on left side pulled left panels off to get to it.The bleeder valve is on top it is hell to get clear tubing over bleeder valve.It would have been alot easier to take the trunk off but it can be done without it.Be sure to keep fluid near full when doing it you don't want to get air in system.I
    used just about the whole quart,took about 1 hour 1 1/2 we had to stop and drink a few shop supplies.Its easy to do just watch what your doing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Vacuum bleeder works well for a one person job and found when I owned a Honda and bleed the clutch a vacuum bleeder saved me lots of headaches. I could not get the Honda bleed correctly until I put a vacuum bleeder on it. IMO saves times and one person can do the job at hand

Spyder Garage

just did mine yesterday and had my wife pump the pedal and hold it.
    no codes , no problems. did suck out the master and refill as needed.
    lots of info on here. thanks for all the help here amidst all the threads!!
    --irv
    Last edited by irvin48; 07-25-2018 at 09:01 AM.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

You’re welcome

Actually just redid mine this afternoon after throwing a code this weekend.

And...I did the stupid procedure by the CanAm manual.

Put a hose on EACH bleeder valve including the ABS box.

left, right, back, ABS

battery disconnected whole time, ebrake off.

Even went through the trouble of adding Teflon tape to each bleeder valve (not at ABS )

Nice clear fluid through everything.

On my ST-S the ABS box can actually be reached through the left wheel opening very easily

Topped off fluids along the way, buttoned everything back up.

Replaced battery at the same time. ( 5 years old in 2 weeks)

Turn key on, parking brake back on, threw no codes.

We are in monsoon season apparently so haven’t started it or ridden it yet, but have a more solid pedal than I’ve had in a long time.

Last edited by SNOOPY; 07-24-2018 at 05:07 PM. Reason: No one will read this anyhow. Lol