Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding Gear

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding Gear

New to riding as well as the spyder... my 2013 RT will be delivered next week. Looking for suggestions on riding gear (helmets & jackets) for myself and the wife. I have a lot of snowmobiling gear and I know that the right gear makes all the difference. Thanks.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

For summer I just picked up a Castle mesh jacket for about $125 and it is great. Helmets, that is by choice, try a bunch on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got a TourMaster Mesh jacket that came with an insulated liner, and a solid outer shell. when it's got all three components, it's good for riding in freezing temperatures. Strip it down to just the mesh, and it's comfy through the Summer heat.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I really like my Olympia gear. It has held up well, and is made by people that ride. I have worn TourMaster as well, and it is high quality. Check out motorcyclegear.com . They currently have a Joe Rocket jacket for 69., as well as JR helmets made by HJC for 69. Both are good quality, and would last some time if cared for. I bought the JR Abyss for my nephew as a gift and was really impressed with the quality, especially for the price. There is no reason not to have gear to protect you from the elements at the prices available on line.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gwilburn View Post
    New to riding as well as the spyder... my 2013 RT will be delivered next week. Looking for suggestions on riding gear (helmets & jackets) for myself and the wife. I have a lot of snowmobiling gear and I know that the right gear makes all the difference. Thanks.
    Tour Master Intake Air 3 here, in Hi-Vis. Liners work as Bob has already stated.

Shoei GT-Air, in white, is our current brain bucket. Much better than black in the summer heat. What ever helmet you go with make sure it fits properly.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I like this jacket for summer/winter wear in Florida. http://tourmaster.com/product/Textil...3_Jacket/368/3 For helmets, you need to narrow down whether you want half, 3/4 , full face or modular. I like Arai full face helmets but they are pricey. BRP has a new helmet that can be configuered several different ways and looks intrigueing to me.

Spyder Garage

Default Look what you did..!!

your now like a kid in a candy store..so many to choose from so many to see, look at all the pretty colors, shapes and sizes. You have entered a place where you are sadly alone. Everyone likes what they have and went through this same process to get there some are not happy yet. In the end you have to choose according to the seasons you'll be Riding in. I will say the convertible wear is the best. We have the "Built" jackets and the HJC modular helmets with the Scala G9 communication system. Now I always recommend going to big shops to try the stuff then shop for best deals online etc..good luck and congrats on the new ryde and meeting up with us at spyder lovers....!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Can Am gear is not too bad. Saw some early breakdown on some jackets at SpyderFest. My jacket is doing well. I like the Shoei Neotec modular helmet I use, very much.

I can also highly recommend Aerostich stuff. I had a Roadcrafter jacket and pants setup in 2004 that was great. I have recently ordered a Darien jacket and pants from them. The have an excellent website and a wonderful catalog. The catalog is a great thing to get, even if just to read thru it.

http://www.aerostich.com

Enjoy the Spyder!
    David
    2012 Spyder RTS SE5 - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got the Can Am RT Riding Boots; they are waterproof and comfortable!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Gear.

I have used the Can Am gear since day one. Seems to work pretty well and hold up decent.
    Not sure if you need a jacket but I have have one posted for sale here:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-riding-jacket
    I also noticed that BRP has 20% off on all accessories on their website until the 15th.
    Last edited by sledhead; 05-11-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Olympia Jackets - Shoei Neotech Modular Helmets

My wife and I are newe owners and just got Olympia Jackets The MOAB for me and the Air Glide 4 for my wife. We got the Shoei Neotech modular helmets. So far we like the jackets and helmets, both are good quality.

Jerry & Melody Meinhardt

2013 RT-Limited Pearl White Chocolate Seat
    RT-622 Trailer
    Baker Air Wings
    Diamond R Arm Rests
    12 V power outlet in Frunk
    BRPTravel Cover
    Spyderpops Bump Skid, Belt Rock Guard
    Utopia Driver backrest
    RT Cup Holder/Accessory Mount
    ISCI tall flag Holder
    Custom Dynamics Run-Brake-Turn LED HMT Light
    Custom Dynamics GEN2c Brake Light Strobe/Flasher
    Tricled LED Flag Light, R/V Mirror Turn Signals

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the spyderlovers site and congrats on the new purchase I recognize your name.... I'm Sled208 on HCS I Don't think we have any lingering battles over on the other site but if we do... I'll give you a clean slate on here and ask the same in return

Oh yeah, gear... I wear a KLIM Everest Jacket and a cheap ****ty helmet (sometimes ) . I'm pretty much a newbie also so I don't have any good advice on gear.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

The fun is just beginning.

Since I have ridden for many years, I have quite a collection of gear--two 6 ft racks. I like it all, and I can change for weather or the "mood of the day".

Your basic choice is textile or leather, BRP branded or not.

Most textiles come with zip out liners, allowing you to ride in three seasons. Most have zippered vents for use in warmer weather, and most outfits are waterproofed.

For hot weather riding, mesh jackets are great.

If you are into leather, a set of chaps and a leather jacket makes up a basic outfit. Styles for jackets are all over the place so you can go from casual to biker.

Boots: Many varieties available. I have settled on Euro style, waterproof, or biker style engineer boots.

Gloves: depends on the temperature and the weather. I have 4 pairs. Light, medium, cold weather and waterproof.

Helmets: get good ones that fit you well. Lots of threads on helmets and they will give you lots of ideas.

Most of my stuff is Firstgear, Hein Gerike, or Alaska Leather. I do have a BRP textile jacket, and a BRP leather jacket. They are pricey, but stand up well. Both BRP items purchased in 2008 and still look like new.

Enjoy the hunt.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-11-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Jacket - Textile is most versatile. Hi-vis has been proven to reduce the accident rate. You can use solid textiles for cooler weather (to 70 or 80) and mesh at anything above 50 or so. I like the FirstGear Kilimanjaro for solid and the Tourmaster 3/4 length for mesh.

Pants - Not as essential on a Spyder as on a bike, but textile overpants help keep you warm and reasonably dry, and provide protection. We wear Tourmaster.

Helmets - Wear one that fits your head. It should be snug, touching evenly all around, with no pressure points or hot spots. Too large, in order to get it to feel better, is unsafe. We like Arai because they have several head shapes available.

Gloves - Leather, at least in the palms. There are many varieties. You may end up with several pairs. I like deerskin work gloves for all-around riding, but I also have mesh, gauntlet, winter, and rain gloves.

Boots - Over the ankle is best. Not as important as on a bike. Waterproof is handy, but not necessary. I wear custom Bates Leathers boots to fit my skinny feet, but my wife wears Tourmaster Waterproof. Mush of the time I just wear my hiking boots.

Raingear - There are a lot of variations, ranging from fulll one-piece (sometimes as a riding suit) to Frogg Toggs. Things to look for include a hood to put on under your helmet to keep water out of your neck, a good double-fold closure over the zipper, full length velcro for the closure rain-flap, a tall, tight-fitting neck that can be adjusted snugly, double-cuff wrists and ankles or adjustable velcro closures, and bright colors and/or reflective trim. Gear should fit over your riding clothes, but not be so large that it buches up in front. "Puddles" will leak! One piece suits are more waterproof. I wear a Teknic 2-piece or a BMW coverall. Nancy wears FirstGear.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I didn't mention that Honda East, a SL sponsor, still has Can Am Boots on sale. I bought a pair and like them, especially for the value.

Spyder Garage

Talking

After years of wearing leather. Switched to textile when riding the spyder (Offered by BAJARON site sponsor). They/he offers products to outfit you for every season.

Helmet preference - Aria.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Ryding Gear

A couple of places you might check for gear are:

leatherup.com

jafrum.com

They have a variety of jackets in all price ranges as well as gloves, boots, helmets, etc.

Oh, just thought of another:

revzilla.com

Congrats on your new ryde.
    Let's Ryde!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow... great response.... thanks everyone. I can see patterns emerging. It's really hard for us to get to a bigger "store" to look at this stuff. We are a long way from just about anywhere (Spyder dealer is 1.5 hrs away). Lots of good suggestions and websites to visit... I knew I was going to open a can-o-worms with this one.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    Welcome to the spyderlovers site and congrats on the new purchase I recognize your name.... I'm Sled208 on HCS I Don't think we have any lingering battles over on the other site but if we do... I'll give you a clean slate on here and ask the same in return

Oh yeah, gear... I wear a KLIM Everest Jacket and a cheap ****ty helmet (sometimes ) . I'm pretty much a newbie also so I don't have any good advice on gear.
    Thanks! Definitely recognize you now. And no, we've had no "battles" that I'm aware of. I love the KLIM stuff too. Won a Jacket a few years back (wore Arctic Cat everything before then)... Liked it so well that I bought KLIM boots too. Their stuff is pricey as well, but top notch quality. My Arctic Cat jacket (shell) would work great on the spyder, but the lime green would clash with the blue metallic. Why doesn't my <enter> key start a new paragraph on this forum? Oh... and revzilla.com is awesome. Best website that I've every purchased from.

Spyder Garage

Thanks! Definitely recognize you now. And no, we've had no "battles" that I'm aware of. I love the KLIM stuff too. Won a Jacket a few years back (wore Arctic Cat everything before then)... Liked it so well that I bought KLIM boots too. Their stuff is pricey as well, but top notch quality. My Arctic Cat jacket (shell) would work great on the spyder, but the lime green would clash with the blue metallic. Why doesn't my <enter> key start a new paragraph on this forum? Oh... and revzilla.com is awesome. Best website that I've every purchased from.
    The <enter> key issue is a result of Internet Explorer 10. Revert to IE9 and you will be OK.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The <enter> key issue is a result of Internet Explorer 10. Revert to IE9 and you will be OK.
    Man I hate Microsoft... didn't even know I was running ie10. Upgraded on it's own

Spyder Garage

Default Tour Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've got a TourMaster Mesh jacket that came with an insulated liner, and a solid outer shell. when it's got all three components, it's good for riding in freezing temperatures. Strip it down to just the mesh, and it's comfy through the Summer heat.
    Agreed. I have been a long term fan of Tour Master. Well made and reasonable pricing. Check out NewEnough.com; been ordering with great satisfaction from them for several years.
    SS1000, BB1500
    Pain is temporary, Pride is forever

Spyder Garage

Man I hate Microsoft... didn't even know I was running ie10. Upgraded on it's own
    That's why I turn off automatic updates.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

When I teach MC safety I ask my students to imagine that they have just done something stupid and they have been thrown from their machine at 60 MPH. They are now 1 milli second from hitting the asphalt.

Now, what do you wish you had worn?
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    When I teach MC safety I ask my students to imagine that they have just done something stupid and they have been thrown from their machine at 60 MPH. They are now 1 milli second from hitting the asphalt.

Now, what do you wish you had worn?
    My Ram Quad Cab