Spyder Garage

Default Metal in oil, should I be worried?

Look what a dealer just pulled off my oil plug magnet! This is the first change after the new style oil filter and the ONLY time I have EVER seen anything other then the fine grey dust also seen below on the magnet.

I have 25000+ miles in approximately two years and have religiously changed the oil according to mileage requirements and checked it frequently to ensure it is within spec.

The thing that really bugs me is I am on a trip and was due for a change so I had the local dealer change it for me. He has no idea how anal I am about taking care of my Spyder and noted my account saying I should change my oil more often to avoid future issues.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365285834.813011.jpg

Should I be worried?
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

I would be a little concerned

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Approximately two years"; do you still have a warranty in place??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

3 more years BEST but that dealer comment scares me. My dealer knows I take care of my Spyder but I have done most of my oil changes so I am concerned if there is a problem BRP may see the comment and deny warranty. Which would really stink considering I do what is am supposed to do.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure that if you have documention of you maintance Can Am can't say a hole lot...

i could be wrong...but I don't think so....
    best of luck....
    Howard

Spyder Garage

I would be concerned, too. It looks like the edges of gear teeth. If they show up again, you may need to delve into the bowels of the beast. If you just switch to Amsoil or another high-quality synthetic, after using the BRP blend for a while, they could just be pieces that were already loose but were just dislodged. If you have been experiencing clutch woes or difficulty shifting with an SM, you may need to have the slave cylinder and/or the clutch replaced to prevent further damage.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default NOT GOOD

WHAT DAH...........?????????????
    hope your warantee is still in force....

Spyder Garage

When I change the oil I use Amsoil the last two including this one were BRP oil because the dealer did them.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Default Somewhat..!!

about the pieces anyway. I would watch how the bike is responding to clutch operation gear shifting and engine sound. Small as those pieces are could be more in the top end timing gearing or oil pump,water pump. If all is working and sounding good could just be left overs from break in...let us know....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The Spyder is performing perfect as far as I can tell, better than it ever has.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm also assuming that you've been documenting when, and with how many miles, you've been changing your oil... I don't think that BRP can complain much about your maintenance efforts. Let's just hope that it never has to become an issue.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Just saw a VERY SIMILAR photo on Spydertalk.com http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/top...st-oil-change/ posted in 2010 with no mention of a follow up failure so that is a plus, I think, I hope!

Talked to Len, he said it was not uncommon to see pieces metal on the drain plug but there was still some concern there. He asked if it was performing as it should or if it was making any odd noises. Told him had not noticed anything out of the ordinary and it seemed to be running great. He gave me some things to look for before and to do at my next oil change. Thanks to him for taking the time away from his family to help a very freaked out Spyderlover!

Hopefully this is nothing to worry about but I will be keeping an even closer eye on oil, looking out for any odd sounds and the performance of the Spyder until I am certain all is OK.
    Last edited by kinggeek; 04-06-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kinggeek View Post
    Just saw a VERY SIMILAR photo on Spydertalk.com http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/top...st-oil-change/ posted in 2010 with no mention of a follow up failure so that is a plus, I think, I hope!

Talked to Len, he said it was not uncommon to see pieces metal on the drain plug but there was still some concern there. He asked if it was performing as it should or if it was making any odd noises. Told him had not noticed anything out of the ordinary and it seemed to be running great. He gave me some things to look for before and to do at my next oil change. Thanks to him for taking the time away from his family to help a very freaked out Spyderlover!

Hopefully this is nothing to worry about but I will be keeping an even closer eye on oil, looking out for any odd sounds and the performance of the Spyder until I am certain all is OK.
    i would have to agree with the opinion on Sydertalk,they look like needle bearings.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Did you check the screen for metal?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post
    Did you check the screen for metal?
    I did not change it this time but I will be checking the the screen when I get home from my trip.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Just a thought.

When you get back home get with your dealer and have them share your pics and oil change records with BRP. They may clear your dealer to investigate, and, your oil change records will help discount what the dealer(on your trip) noted in your 'permanent records'. What they(trip dealer) did was uncalled for. Unless they can backup or prove their statement. I'd do everything possible to disqualify their statement.......before, or in case, something does go wrong. just my2c FWIW

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Jer

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default metal,,,

Quote Originally Posted by kinggeek View Post
    Look what a dealer just pulled off my oil plug magnet! This is the first change after the new style oil filter and the ONLY time I have EVER seen anything other then the fine grey dust also seen below on the magnet.

I have 25000+ miles in approximately two years and have religiously changed the oil according to mileage requirements and checked it frequently to ensure it is within spec.

The thing that really bugs me is I am on a trip and was due for a change so I had the local dealer change it for me. He has no idea how anal I am about taking care of my Spyder and noted my account saying I should change my oil more often to avoid future issues.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365285834.813011.jpg

Should I be worried?
    hi,!
    i saw an engine a part,last fall in a brp garage and it had the same part in oil change,,, needle bearing failure,,,,it came from the transmission,they took the engine all apart,,,everything was find,,,with the engine,,,, but that customer was very lucky because bombardier give him a brand new engine,, raison(one dealer work in the transmission before and didnt do a very good job) i guess..

be nice with your dealer and praye,,,,(only a suggestion) and good luck!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    What they(trip dealer) did was uncalled for. Unless they can backup or prove their statement. I'd do everything possible to disqualify their statement.......before, or in case, something does go wrong. just my2c FWIW
    I'm beginning to think there are only a handful of good dealers in this whole country.

Spyder Garage

Went to my dealer this morning. Showed them the metal found in my oil and the Spyder tech whom I trust and has done all my dealer service and repairs said exactly what Len said. It is not uncommon to find this in the oil of Spyders and other bikes he has worked on. Sometimes the amount found is even larger than in my case. He also said that is why the magnet is there.

He also added exactly what Scotty said looks like shavings from gear teeth and added usually they are smaller because after they flake off they are ground up more before they become stuck to the magnet.

He recommended the same as Len to be mindful at the next oil change to closely inspect not only the oil plug but also the discarded oil by draining it through a screen with a stronger magnet in it to collect any pieces still floating that are not attracted to the oil plug magnet. This is to make sure it is not a regular thing that happens all the time.

Regarding the dealer comments he said those are more for that dealers use and should not be in any BRP records tied to my Spyder and thus should not affect my extended warranty. The only way the comments would make it into a BRP database is if the dealer did a warranty claim and added comments there. Hopefully that is the case.

I will post on this thread after my next oil change just to update status. It should not be that far off with Spyderfest coming up!

See you all there!
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If this happened to me, I will change the oil again and make sure no more metals left.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod