Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    Tuesday 2013-11-20

Decided to ride using the Garmin 660 today since I was looking for a residence in unfamiliar territory. Installed the 660 and let it recharge some while completed putting on the road gear. Got the notice a map update was needed. Continued the mission.

Arriving back home 3 1/2 hours later I took the 660 off and put it by the PC.

Then had to remember where all the Garmin stuff was? Finding that I quickly read through it and went to Garmin on the net. Downloaded "Garmin Express" then tried to remember how to remove the battery cover. Got it off without using a crowbar plugged in the short USB cable supplied. Started Garmin Express and followed the prompts. It read the 660 coming up with two software updates, voice prompter and vehicle indicator and one template. Clicked on "Install All" and it popped up with a two hour thirty minute install time. Took a break. Upon returning the software updates were done. Template was not done but GE was stopped dead in its tracks. Rebooted PC, restarted GE unplugged 660 and re plugged it having to cycle it with the internal off/on switch, twice before GE would lock on. GE remembered the missing template and started the download stating a thirty five minute install time. Forty minutes later it was all done.

First update in three years at no charge! Finishing up and turning everything off and relaxed. However on boot up this morning I had some odd warnings from GE but the boot up went smoothly and been running fine all day long. Using XP Pro,SP-3 with latest date
    After the update has been loaded on the garmin and the cable has been pulled. Garmin Express wants your 660 reconnected again to verify that the updated have been updated correctly. So just plug it in again.
    You did not mention that you bought the lifetime maps. If you did not the old map nag screen will keep popping up from time to time.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I kinda had the same thing happen to mine. Wouldn't update when I plugged it in, so I googled how to update and it sent me to a webside called garmin express where i had to save it to my desktop. From that site I could do whatever I wanted on all my garmins.