Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Junior Member Winni-Laker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Alton, NH
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Garmin Zumo 660 USB Question

    Just picked up my new 2012 RT-Limited today, and I absolutely love it! I brought the installed Garmin Zumo 660 GPS inside to update the software and map with my PC, but can't figure out how to do it.

    I have several Garmin Nuvi GPS units and updating them is easy ... I just plug the mini-USB plug into the GPS and the regular USB plug into the computer. The PC immediately recognizes the GPS and I can update the software and/or maps at www.mygarmin.com.

    However, I am having a problem doing this with the Zumo 660. When I plug the mini-USB plug into the connector under the battery cover, the unit will not turn on. And, if the GPS is turned on when I plug in the mini-USB plug, it immediately shuts off.

    I then tried snapping the automobile mounting cradle onto the back of the GPS and plugging the mini-USB plug into the port on the cradle. However, the GPS then says "The USB cable is connected to the wrong port", and the computer won't recognize it. I've tried three different USB cables, including the short one that came with the Zumo 660, and get the same results with each one.

    Has anyone else run into this problem with the Zumo 660 GPS that comes installed on RT-Limited Spyders? If someone has, please tell me how you resolved it.

    Thanks.

    Don

  2. #2
    Elderly Member Double Trouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Loganville, Georgia
    Posts
    1,217
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Don:

    I think you have to register the serial number of your Garmin first. I would go here to start.

    https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/regis...egoryType=AUTO






    [QUOTE=Winni-Laker;600639

    However, I am having a problem doing this with the Zumo 660. When I plug the mini-USB plug into the connector under the battery cover, the unit will not turn on. And, if the GPS is turned on when I plug in the mini-USB plug, it immediately shuts off.

    I then tried snapping the automobile mounting cradle onto the back of the GPS and plugging the mini-USB plug into the port on the cradle. However, the GPS then says "The USB cable is connected to the wrong port", and the computer won't recognize it. I've tried three different USB cables, including the short one that came with the Zumo 660, and get the same results with each one.

    Has anyone else run into this problem with the Zumo 660 GPS that comes installed on RT-Limited Spyders? If someone has, please tell me how you resolved it.

    Thanks.

    Don[/QUOTE]

    '12 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze #40 (hers) & matching trailer. Baker wings, Lamont's highway pegs, RAM cupholder, Spyder Pops blocker, ISCI Fancan & leftside handbrake
    '12 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White #392 (his) & matching trailer. RAM cupholder, chrome handlebars, vents & surrounds, diamond plate running boards, baker wings, rear brake/tail light, Spyder Pops blocker, voltmeter, oil pressure gauge, two tone blue pinstriping, colormatched dash and ostrich trimmed Ultimate seat

  3. #3
    Junior Member Winni-Laker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Alton, NH
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Don:

    I think you have to register the serial number of your Garmin first. I would go here to start.

    https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/regis...egoryType=AUTO
    Thanks, Double Trouble. I tried to register the GPS at the Garmin website, but to register it I have to connect it with the USB cable. The registration screen indicates that it is searching for my GPS but it doesn't find it. The problem seems to be that my PC is not seeing the GPS for some reason.

    Don

  4. #4
    Member Spydered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lake Ridge, VA
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Garmin sumo 660

    Don, I had to use the supplied cable. I plugged the cable in to the PC then into the GPS. The GPS then gave me the pop up to install the battery. It worked from there. Good luck
    2013 RT Limited Pearl White
    XM Radio, Sena SM10 Bluetooth adapter, Sena SMH10 Bluetooth headset, BajaRon's sway bar, Spyderpop's beltguard and bumpskid, Baker Built cup holder, Ultimate mid-rider seat, Tricled RT mirror turn signals.

  5. #5
    Motorbike Professor NancysToy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, MI
    Posts
    20,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd contact Garmin and ask them.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine) & 2008 Spyder GS-SM5-PE (Nancy's)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 22 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder



    Mutant Trikes Forever!

  6. #6
    Senior Member ThreeWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Danbury Connecticut
    Posts
    1,304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Your unit should go on when you lug in the usb port.
    I think something is defective with your unit.
    Try calling Garmin customer service. They are generally very helpful.

  7. #7
    Junior Member Winni-Laker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Alton, NH
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for your suggestions, folks. I'll call Garmin Customer Service tomorrow.

    Don

  8. #8
    Senior Member MtlBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Montreal Area
    Posts
    153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Garmin Zumo 660 USB Question

    A few things may go wrong.

    First, many usb devices are sensitive to the signal quality. To troubleshoot, make sure that you plug the usb cable directly into a usb port on your PC, using the Garmin cable: not on your monitor, usb hub or via any kind of long USB cable. (Once you get things going, you can try again)

    Second, most USB devices need some kind of device driver installed to be fully functionnal. I would recommend you download and install the Garmin software from the web. It should install the bits & pieces your computer needs to talk to the GPS.

    If you had already installed the software, I would recommend you give it an other shot and re-install. Try to reboot after the installation.

    Let us know how you are progressing.

    ...Ben...

  9. #9
    Banged Up Member MouthPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sanford, Florida
    Posts
    3,454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In another thread I recall that when Garmin was called, they referred the customer to BRP because of the proprietary relationship between the two. It became a tennis match.

    Chris

  10. #10
    magical member harrypottar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bellingham MA
    Posts
    1,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A couple of things to try.

    Make sure the battery is charged, the battery will charge while plugged directly into the USB of the computer but the battery as to have enough initial juice to boot.

    first pop the battery out and wait a minute, then put the battery back in.

    Now plug the supplied usb cable in to the port by the battery, then plug in to the computer directly. Not sure if you have a USB hub but unless it as a separate ac adaptor there won't be enough power. So make sure you plug into the computer, give it a few seconds to boot then you should have a symbol on the touch screen for pc/USB connection.

    If you see this all is good click the icon the computer should see it and you can register it via my Garmin.

    if you don't see the icon then you have an issue. Make sure you have a good USB cable, I have one or two not good out of the box on some products.

    harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

    Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

    Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

    One always wonders about roads not taken.



  11. #11
    Senior Member JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rockton, IL
    Posts
    1,364
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    When you say it will not turn on do you mean that it does not completely boot up or it only goes to the splash screen?

    I hooked mine up last night and it does the same thing. I think this is the way it works. When I plug the 660 to PC the splash screen comes on but that is as far as it goes. I went to the Garmin web site and looked for updates and it installed the software needed to check for updates. It found the 660 serial number and what updates were available. Note you have to register the unit within 60 days and only get one free update within that 60 days.

    The battery does need to be in place or you get the error message.

    Good luck and enjoy your new ride!

    RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

    Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)


  12. #12
    Junior Member Winni-Laker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Alton, NH
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Update - Bad GPS Unit

    I called my Spyder salesman this morning and explained the problem. He had me speak to the service manager who said he'd be glad to check out the GPS unit any time that was convenient for me, so I said "How about this afternoon?" He said fine so I rode the Spyder back to the dealer, which is about 25 miles away. (What a great excuse to get to ride the new machine another 50 miles round-trip!)

    The dealer's service dept. took my Spyder right in and about 20 minutes later he told me the Zumo 660 GPS unit itself appears to be defective. They're ordering a new GPS for me and will call as soon as it comes in.

    Thanks again for all the suggestions.

  13. #13
    Junior Member Winni-Laker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Alton, NH
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default New Update

    The service manager at my Spyder dealer called this morning to let me know that the replacement GPS unit had arrived from BRP. I rode the Spyder to the dealer this afternoon to pick up the new GPS, and while I was there they also replaced the analog fuel gauge. The needle on the original fuel gauge was "wobbling" up and down all the time, which is apparently a BRP-known problem with some 2012 Spyder models. The fuel gauge replacement took about 1/2 hour, and the new gauge is accurate and the needle does not wobble at all. The new Garmin Zumo 660 GPS unit works perfectly as well. So, at this point I'm a very happy Spyder owner.

    Don

  14. Thanks CyncySpyder thanked for this post
  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ormond Beach FL
    Posts
    1,337
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool 2011 RTL Garmin 660-2 updates

    Tuesday 2013-11-20

    Decided to ride using the Garmin 660 today since I was looking for a residence in unfamiliar territory. Installed the 660 and let it recharge some while completed putting on the road gear. Got the notice a map update was needed. Continued the mission.

    Arriving back home 3 1/2 hours later I took the 660 off and put it by the PC.

    Then had to remember where all the Garmin stuff was? Finding that I quickly read through it and went to Garmin on the net. Downloaded "Garmin Express" then tried to remember how to remove the battery cover. Got it off without using a crowbar plugged in the short USB cable supplied. Started Garmin Express and followed the prompts. It read the 660 coming up with two software updates, voice prompter and vehicle indicator and one template. Clicked on "Install All" and it popped up with a two hour thirty minute install time. Took a break. Upon returning the software updates were done. Template was not done but GE was stopped dead in its tracks. Rebooted PC, restarted GE unplugged 660 and re plugged it having to cycle it with the internal off/on switch, twice before GE would lock on. GE remembered the missing template and started the download stating a thirty five minute install time. Forty minutes later it was all done.

    First update in three years at no charge! Finishing up and turning everything off and relaxed. However on boot up this morning I had some odd warnings from GE but the boot up went smoothly and been running fine all day long. Using XP Pro,SP-3 with latest date
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 11-20-2013 at 03:08 PM.
    Bob Ledford, WA4IDI,(Retired, USA, MSG)
    Ormond Beach, FL, 32174
    2011 RTL SE-5, 2011 August


  16. #15
    Senior Member billybovine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitchell, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,589
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    Tuesday 2013-11-20

    Decided to ride using the Garmin 660 today since I was looking for a residence in unfamiliar territory. Installed the 660 and let it recharge some while completed putting on the road gear. Got the notice a map update was needed. Continued the mission.

    Arriving back home 3 1/2 hours later I took the 660 off and put it by the PC.

    Then had to remember where all the Garmin stuff was? Finding that I quickly read through it and went to Garmin on the net. Downloaded "Garmin Express" then tried to remember how to remove the battery cover. Got it off without using a crowbar plugged in the short USB cable supplied. Started Garmin Express and followed the prompts. It read the 660 coming up with two software updates, voice prompter and vehicle indicator and one template. Clicked on "Install All" and it popped up with a two hour thirty minute install time. Took a break. Upon returning the software updates were done. Template was not done but GE was stopped dead in its tracks. Rebooted PC, restarted GE unplugged 660 and re plugged it having to cycle it with the internal off/on switch, twice before GE would lock on. GE remembered the missing template and started the download stating a thirty five minute install time. Forty minutes later it was all done.

    First update in three years at no charge! Finishing up and turning everything off and relaxed. However on boot up this morning I had some odd warnings from GE but the boot up went smoothly and been running fine all day long. Using XP Pro,SP-3 with latest date
    After the update has been loaded on the garmin and the cable has been pulled. Garmin Express wants your 660 reconnected again to verify that the updated have been updated correctly. So just plug it in again.
    You did not mention that you bought the lifetime maps. If you did not the old map nag screen will keep popping up from time to time.
    2013 ST LIMITED BLACK CURRANT
    Gorilla Alarm
    Sena SM10 Bluetooth Dongle, with homemade harness
    USB power outlet.
    3 button garage door opener.

  17. #16
    Senior Member Guesswho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Great Falls MT
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I kinda had the same thing happen to mine. Wouldn't update when I plugged it in, so I googled how to update and it sent me to a webside called garmin express where i had to save it to my desktop. From that site I could do whatever I wanted on all my garmins.
    2013 Silver RS SE5
    Mods: 23 in windshield, Zumo 660 and mount, 2go cup holder, BRP comfort seat, throttle lock, alignment, RS-ST handlebar swap
    2700 miles and loving every minute!

  18. #17
    Member Omcge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Mansfield Texas
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    When you say it will not turn on do you mean that it does not completely boot up or it only goes to the splash screen?

    I hooked mine up last night and it does the same thing. I think this is the way it works. When I plug the 660 to PC the splash screen comes on but that is as far as it goes. I went to the Garmin web site and looked for updates and it installed the software needed to check for updates. It found the 660 serial number and what updates were available. Note you have to register the unit within 60 days and only get one free update within that 60 days.

    The battery does need to be in place or you get the error message.

    Good luck and enjoy your new ride!
    Mine works the same way
    [/SIGPIC]
    2014 RTS Ltd Build 1/20/14 #931 BajaRon SwayBar, Spyderpops bumpskid, Isci Hand Brake ,Cat By Pass

    2013RTS Ltd BajaRon Sway bar, Cat By Pass,
    Kewl metal air intake , Isci Hand Brake, Spyderpops bumpskid , Led mirror turn signal, Baker Wind Wings, Baker Belt Stabilizer, tire pressure monitors, Air Fuel Ratio Meter, In dash Clock, Wrapped exhaust pipes, Insulated gas tank, In dash turn signal and brake led indicators

  19. #18
    Member BMWpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Garmin USB Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Winni-Laker View Post
    Just picked up my new 2012 RT-Limited today, and I absolutely love it! I brought the installed Garmin Zumo 660 GPS inside to update the software and map with my PC, but can't figure out how to do it.

    I have several Garmin Nuvi GPS units and updating them is easy ... I just plug the mini-USB plug into the GPS and the regular USB plug into the computer. The PC immediately recognizes the GPS and I can update the software and/or maps at www.mygarmin.com.

    However, I am having a problem doing this with the Zumo 660. When I plug the mini-USB plug into the connector under the battery cover, the unit will not turn on. And, if the GPS is turned on when I plug in the mini-USB plug, it immediately shuts off.

    I then tried snapping the automobile mounting cradle onto the back of the GPS and plugging the mini-USB plug into the port on the cradle. However, the GPS then says "The USB cable is connected to the wrong port", and the computer won't recognize it. I've tried three different USB cables, including the short one that came with the Zumo 660, and get the same results with each one.

    Has anyone else run into this problem with the Zumo 660 GPS that comes installed on RT-Limited Spyders? If someone has, please tell me how you resolved it.

    Thanks.

    Don
    I had the same issue. My Nuvi would be recognized but not my Zumo. It was the strangest thing, but I got around it by using the wife's Windows 8 laptop. Mine is a MacBook Pro.

  20. #19
    Senior Member oldguyinCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Weston, CT
    Posts
    404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I had a similar problem with the GARMIN 660. I did call garmin and got the problem solved over the phone. I now have all of the most recent maps, POI's, etc. You will need to install Garmin Express on your computer before you call.


    Pearl White 2013 RT LTD SE5 & RT-622 Trailer, Both With Third Brake Lights, Comfort Grip Covers, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner, Rivco Dual Flag Holder & Flags, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, "Don't Eat The Mud" Mudflap, Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard & Lower Block-Off Plate, BajaRon Sway Bar & Links, Laser Alignment, Large Brake Pedal, Amber LED's On Mirrors, Short Antenna, Guardian Bells, Wrapped Pipes, Garmin 660, SMH10 Bluetooth Headsets & SM10 Dongle.

    A Wise Man Once Said, "I Should Ask My Wife"​

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •