Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Sway Bar Websites

Help! For Some reason Beyond my control my computor will not log on to any performance sway bar websites. Also what is the website for BajaRon? I would like to purchase a stiffer sway bar to elimenate some of the lean when riding two up. I'm hoping the sway bar will do this for me. I've looked at other suspension products such as shocks. Ouch!!! What a shock I get when I look at the prices. I'm beginning to think when Can Am is mentioned the price Triples on most products.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Send Ron a message thru here...That's the way he takes orders...His prices are good and delivery is virutally overnight...

Spyder Garage

Ron will be out of town till the 12th of Nov. but here's his info.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You can always try E-bay

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    Send Ron a message thru here...That's the way he takes orders...His prices are good and delivery is virutally overnight...
    Thanks, I thought he had a website. No wonder I kept getting something else.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wilfredopr View Post
    You can always try E-bay
    I wasn't sure if the E-bay bars were performance type rather than stock replacemets

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Ron will be out of town till the 12th of Nov. but here's his info.

Lamonster, I guess I should have E-mailed you with my question. I can hold off untill after the 12th of Nov. I wanted to install the sway bar the same time I install the Stock Fog lights during the slow riding season (Winter Months) Thanks, Jerry

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Aftermarket swaybar and the VSS

Deleted by me.
    Last edited by rollingstone; 11-02-2012 at 01:34 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Who's anti-swaybar is causing this? Could there be some sort of calibration issue with the sensors that are hooked up under the front end? Perhaps if they're a bit "close to the edge", something that was changed is now making them crankier than normal??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstone View Post
    I don't know whether or not this is relevant to USA but in Australia one RT ryder is having problems with the VSS. He has been having issues which relate to extreme behaviour by the VSS which, during left cornering, dramatically brakes one wheel whilst dropping all power; this causes the RT to straighten and head toward oncoming traffic. During right hand cornering one wheel can lift off the ground and the VSS does nothing! BRP say that they suspect the aftermarket swaybar and shocks are are giving confusing inputs to the VSS, causing it to behave erratically. In any case the dealer, with BRP's backing, are requiring the RT to be returned to stock before they check out the VSS.

Just a heads up over BRP's attitude toward aftermarket suspension mods.

Hmmmm.
    You can't blame BRP. The VSS senses the needs to apply the brakes differentially, based on inputs from the wheel sensors and steering sensors. Its reaction is programmed based on the OEM components and behavior. If a wheel lifts during a turn. that affects that wheel sensor, and the Spyder may react. It thinks the Spyder is turning far too sharply, and tries to save the day. If the steering torque and steering angle do not match what the VSS expects, due to the changes wrought by the suspension mods (understeer/oversteer), that would affect the VSS reaction, too.

Suspension tuning is a balance. I suspect that rider has his suspension set up way too tight, and has not found that balance...or is just riding too hard for the machine's capabilities, or not smoothly enough. Whatever the cause, the VSS is reacting as designed. The wheels are gonna have to stay on the ground for it to behave otherwise. The only way to see if the problem lies with the suspension changes or the VSS, is to return the Spyder to stock and see what happens. It is not an unreasonable request.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Scotty, I agree that the request is not unreasonable except that his RT was behaving in this manner when it was in stock trim; this is why he did the modifications in the first place. He really should have taken it back before doing the mods. In any case I'm just reporting BRP's attitude, which has gone from "void the warranty" to "bring it back to stock and we'll look at it", so that ryders are aware that BRP do not see this as a benign alteration from standard. IMO there are so many Spyders out there with suspension mods that this would seem to be a one off; at least I've never heard of it in all my Two Months of Spyder ownership!

Robert

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Who's anti-swaybar is causing this? Could there be some sort of calibration issue with the sensors that are hooked up under the front end? Perhaps if they're a bit "close to the edge", something that was changed is now making them crankier than normal??
    Bob, I'm not saying that anyone's anti swaybar is causing this, just that BRP view suspension mods in a certain way. I've deleted the post because I think that it may have been confusing to some. It was my intention to inform but I only succeeded in muddying the waters.

Robert

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No problem... I probably mis-interpreted what was being said.
    But I also can't imagine too many companies that would begin to allow a modified bike to pass into their warranty program if there's even a hint of those mods perhaps being the culprit... That's just GOOD business!

Spyder Garage

Interesting post about suspension components messing with the VSS. I didn't get here in time to see the original issue but here is what I know.

(By the way, my sway bar on e-Bay is the same part I sell here, you just get it for less here on Spyderlovers)

When you add a performance sway bar it levels the Spyder in turns. One of the parameters of the VSS system (Nanny) is lean angle. When you reduce lean angle the Nanny interprets this as needing less input from the VSS system. So, if you take a turn without a performance sway bar and you exceed the prescribed lean angle, the Nanny shuts you down. Install the performance sway bar, take the same curve at the same speed and you get less lean angle. The Nanny feels safe with the new input and leaves you alone in cases where she used to shut you down.

Now you can go faster with more control, more traction and less lean angle. The Nanny will still shut you down at some point, but not nearly as soon as before.

Some people have considered shutting the Nanny off altogether to get more performance. I definitely would not recommend this. But giving her a bit of an adjustment with proven performance modifications has really made my Spyder safer, more stable and much more fun at the same time.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for that clarification Ron!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Any updates on the me RT sway bar?
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Interesting post about suspension components messing with the VSS. I didn't get here in time to see the original issue but here is what I know.

(By the way, my sway bar on e-Bay is the same part I sell here, you just get it for less here on Spyderlovers)

When you add a performance sway bar it levels the Spyder in turns. One of the parameters of the VSS system (Nanny) is lean angle. When you reduce lean angle the Nanny interprets this as needing less input from the VSS system. So, if you take a turn without a performance sway bar and you exceed the prescribed lean angle, the Nanny shuts you down. Install the performance sway bar, take the same curve at the same speed and you get less lean angle. The Nanny feels safe with the new input and leaves you alone in cases where she used to shut you down.

Now you can go faster with more control, more traction and less lean angle. The Nanny will still shut you down at some point, but not nearly as soon as before.

Some people have considered shutting the Nanny off altogether to get more performance. I definitely would not recommend this. But giving her a bit of an adjustment with proven performance modifications has really made my Spyder safer, more stable and much more fun at the same time.
    I couldn't agree more, Ron. I bought a new sway bar before the Spyder was even delivered. Before: handled like a wet sponge. After: can keep up with the two wheelers without feeling like my life is about to end very soon.

Robert

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstone View Post
    I couldn't agree more, Ron. I bought a new sway bar before the Spyder was even delivered. Before: handled like a wet sponge. After: can keep up with the two wheelers without feeling like my life is about to end very soon.

Robert
    This is one of those performance mods that you can explain all day long giving technical information and logical examples. But just one ride and you don't need any of the mumbo-jumbo, you know EXACTLY what has changed on your Spyder. It really is a new machine adding a whole new dimension of fun. The more aggressive you ride, the bigger the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    Any updates on the me RT sway bar?
    I did give an update on another thread here. The bottom line is that the manufacturer has not met their time table so I keep putting all of you off. It is a small order (they typicall do runs of 10,000 - 20,000 units) so I think my order keeps getting pushed to the back of the line. Plus being out of country for 2 weeks and not being here to get on their back may have added to the delay.

In any case they have promised shipment next week. Even with Thanksgiving coming I feel pretty confident that I will be able to ship these the week of the 26th. I will post here as soon as I have a for sure customer ship date.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    This is one of those performance mods that you can explain all day long giving technical information and logical examples. But just one ride and you don't need any of the mumbo-jumbo, you know EXACTLY what has changed on your Spyder. It really is a new machine adding a whole new dimension of fun. The more aggressive you ride, the bigger the difference.

I did give an update on another thread here. The bottom line is that the manufacturer has not met their time table so I keep putting all of you off. It is a small order (they typicall do runs of 10,000 - 20,000 units) so I think my order keeps getting pushed to the back of the line. Plus being out of country for 2 weeks and not being here to get on their back may have added to the delay.

In any case they have promised shipment next week. Even with Thanksgiving coming I feel pretty confident that I will be able to ship these the week of the 26th. I will post here as soon as I have a for sure customer ship date.
    Thanks Ron!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze