Spyder Garage

Default HELP !! HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE THE REAR SIDE PANEL FOR 2011 SPYDER RT

I may need to access the battery and in order to do this I need to remove the "Rear Side Panel". I have read the instructions from the owners manual, but I do not have the tool to remove the two "Silver Screws" attaching it to the "Top Side Panel" ( The tool did not come with the tool Kit). Also do I need to take off the "Top Side Panel" completely in order to remove the "Rear Side Panel". I have a heated Corbin seat and left it on. It ran the battery completely down and I am having trouble Jump Starting the bike. Do I need to put the battery on a charger or do I need to replace the battery. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Why are you having trouble jump starting the Spyder? If it is because you can't access the battery terminals, remember that there are jump start terminals accessible under the seat.

Be aware that you may not be able to charge a fully dead battery with a Battry Tender or similar charger. They need to sense some battery voltage before they work. If that is the case you will need to hook up a second battery along with the charger, until the Spyder battery is charged enough to allow the tender to work, or you will need to use a standard battery charger first. If you use a standard charger, don't charge at anything above 2.5 amps or so, lest you damage the battery.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Along this same line, I would like to check the tightness of my battery terminals. I have read of things "happening" when you attempt to get to the battery. Is there a simple way to get to the terminals and check that they are tight? I charge the battery through the trunk outlet. I check and tighten my GW terminals every six months. I am a maintenance Klutz....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Like Scotty said you will need to use an old style charger to restore a completely dead battery. There's no need to remove the panels or battery to do this. For sure you don't want to try and remove those security torx screws. Here's some videos that may help you if you ever do have to remove the panels.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...f-and-on-video

Oh and

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    Along this same line, I would like to check the tightness of my battery terminals. I have read of things "happening" when you attempt to get to the battery. Is there a simple way to get to the terminals and check that they are tight? I charge the battery through the trunk outlet. I check and tighten my GW terminals every six months. I am a maintenance Klutz....

Although the battery panel under the seat can be removed with out removing the rest of the panels (with a little juggling, loosening other panels, and cussing, the best access is with the rear side panel off. Unfortunately, that requires removing some other things, due to the overlapping panels. It is worth the effort. Cleaning and tightening battery terminals periodically should be in everyone's book of tricks, IMO.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!